Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am considering getting one of these for mt X.
i looked over the installation instructions it looked like to me that there are two screws at the top the hold the ladder in place. and the they tighten directly to the paint of the tailgate. I'm wondering if that is the case and if anyone has noticed any rust around the area of contact on the tailgate. i just got ride of a jeep liberty with bid rust issue around the doors and the rear tailgate… so I'm a little gun-shy about installing anything that is going to damage the paint in a way that could rust. any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to get you my pics! I did get some rust early on, but I brushed it off, refinished and covered the area with electrical tape.
no problem… its the craziest time of the year! i think (hope) this is my last major purchase:iconbiggrin:.. for a while

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They send a backing plate with the ladder so the screws will be pressing against the plate which will be resting against the hatch paint. So no damages on my part. So far that is.
i saw that on the bottom.. there is an aluminum pinch plate. but didn't see that on the top mounting area

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Trying to remember but I'm pretty sure those top screws are just there to clamp the bracket. They don't go into your paint per say... but if you really didn't want any contact i'm pretty sure you can just use a thin piece of wood or metal sheet.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I too had all of the double sided taped plates to ensure no paint to screw contact. Good Luck!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts