Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was visiting a spring shop today and I decided to buy some U-Bolts since I'm hoping to get lifted soon (Deaver Mini and TGC Spacers). The guy got underneath took some measurements and made me some 1/2" x 20" bolts. Does that sound about right? They seem quite large, both diameter and length. Just curious as to what other people got when they had new ones made. I know if they are to long I can just cut them.

·
on line
111 Posts
I think the stock ones are 7/16 (or metric equivalent), so you may need to drill out the mounting plate. I have 9/16" from Alcan and definitely had to do some drilling.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Dude, the stock u bolts are shit. Plain and simple. When i got my deavers i did the same thing, went to a local shop and got new u bolts. They were monsters compared to the stock u bolts. I dint have to drill anything. Just had to cut them after i had the whole install done since they were kinda long. So your going to be good to go dude. Just make sure you get two 3 degree shims for the deavers. And paint the u bolts before the instal. I wish i had, keeps em from rusting.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Greg will tell you up and down you wont need shims. But almost everyone who has talked to me about their deavers, they all neded up needing shims and had to take it all apart and put in the shims. What a pain in the ass. I say do it once, do it right. 3 degree shims did the trick for me.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
mcampana said:
Greg will tell you up and down you wont need shims. But almost everyone who has talked to me about their deavers, they all neded up needing shims and had to take it all apart and put in the shims. What a pain in the ass. I say do it once, do it right. 3 degree shims did the trick for me.
x2. Went through the same thing talking to Greg, and put the shims in rather than having to do it twice.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
See, that makes no sense. There must be a few things I don't understand about leaf sprung suspensions or something.

Adding shackles causing incorrect pinion angles that shims correct.
Running overload leaves weaken the spring pack.

Those two things make no sense to me what so ever.

·
on line
298 Posts
Will,

I'd guess thats becuse you can get away with one or the other, but not both. Both lower the read diff changing the angle, and the two together are too much.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The problem is, you are putting shackles in the back the springs, if anything this would change the pinion angle for the better.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i was thinking, my shackles are not perfectly vertical, they angle forward slightly when they meet the eye on the leaf pack.....is it possible that slight degree difference is the result of the longer shackles pushing the entire rear axle (diff also) forward slightly?? that would cause the pinion angle to be off.....just a thought, not even sure if it's possible, but that's the only way i see it causing a pinion angle problem.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
USArmyX said:
I was visiting a spring shop today and I decided to buy some U-Bolts since I'm hoping to get lifted soon (Deaver Mini and TGC Spacers). The guy got underneath took some measurements and made me some 1/2" x 20" bolts. Does that sound about right? They seem quite large, both diameter and length. Just curious as to what other people got when they had new ones made. I know if they are to long I can just cut them.
Calmini sells them (whole set) for $25.

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lifeinthesouth said:
USArmyX said:
Calmini sells them (whole set) for $25.
I wish I would have known that before I bought these, I paid $40 for the set. Then again, with shipping it might break out about the same.

·
on line
298 Posts
Since calmini sucks a$$ at calling me back, I still dont know this: Are they better than stock, or just replacements. I want a really solid, strong set.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
They are as strong as you will need. But buy a set of flat washers to use with the lock washers they come with.

·
on line
298 Posts
He dont ask me! I was just speculating why the other member had issues with them. I didnt do shackles, only the PRG mini deaver kit. No shims, and no regrets.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
there are no issues with running deavers AND shackles....you will just need shims....greg can send you the right sized shims, or he can tell you which size you need so you can get them locally.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts