Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the PRG SL with AAL in back. Also added a BL which after 4K miles have decided I don't want the BL. I am putting adj. shackles out back and 1/2" spacers up front in hopes I won't rub (running 295/33). I never had any vibrations ever. Put the SL on when truck had 2.5K miles. It has 13K now. Should I get 2* or 4* shims IYO? I only want an inch pr so of lift. If I use shims and put them on middle setting, that would probably do it. I may go with the lowest setting but with shims I may not get an inch over stock; correct? Should I go for lowest setting and no shims or middle and 2-4* shims?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
272 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish? The shims will correct pinion angle if vibrations are present. If you already the AAL with no vibrations then the shim shouldn't be necessary.

Rik

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
with a single joint drive shaft, your pinion should be parallel to your transfer case output shaft at ride height. you can use shims to accomplish this. longer shackles will certainly affect your pinion angle. a longer shackle will push the rear of the leaf spring down while the front mount stays put. this will rotate your pinion up slightly.
what you need to do is set your suspension up however you want; springs, shackles, etc.. then, measure your pinion angle. compare it to the angle of the transfer case output shaft. are they the parallel? if not, shim accordingly.
if you have any questions, please just give me a call. I'm happy to help!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
When buying my rear suspension I asked Nisstec about shims and this is what I was told:

"The general rule of thumb is 1 degree for every 1” of lift within the spring (AALs or lift springs), shackles don’t count in the equasion as they naturally rotate the pinion angle by pushing down on the back half of the leaf springs."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts