Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my X in to have the crash zone sensor replaced under the recall this past March. Yesterday I noticed something odd in the front grill and this is what I found:

They broke the bolts holding the sensor to the bumper (understandable its pretty rusted) and rather then drilling and using a new bolt they decided to zip tie it to a coolant line. Is this even safe? Will the sensor still work properly not being mounted on something ridged? I am pretty annoyed that this is the quality of work they do, and they never mentioned any of this to me.. I think they will be getting a call.

·
Registered
39 Posts
All dealers are doing s***ty work for warranty/recall repairs. I had mine for engine oil pan replacement under warranty. After the repair the mechanic filled the engine with oil below LOW mark. I checked it the moment I got the truck back. Had a bottle of oil with me - thought that might be the case.

Usually techs work on minimum wage plus commissions. The business (dealership) usually does not pay them much for warranty repairs. So the techs hate the warranty jobs they need to do for very little pay. The lack of quality is the result.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Don't make blanket statements like that. Its not fair and nor true. ALL dealerships certainly do not do poor warranty work. The only people making poor wages at a dealership is the new guy who does the oil changes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used to be a tech. Not in auto business however. Regardless I know how it works. And how techs are payed. And what they do. My experience of having warranty work done for some reason is always like this. Regardless of make and location. They always screw it up. So I need to go back for a "re-do".

·
on line
951 Posts
Go back to the dealership and point it out to the service manager. That will not function properly at all. If the dealership refuses to do anything about it, go to your local inspection station, they will tell you the proper people to call on that one. I'd be nervous about driving on a rough road with that sensor zip tied in like that.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
So the airbag impact sensor is now zip tied to a hot a/c line... Wow what a liability issue! If they refuse to fix it, ask for a statement in writing that the airbags will still deploy as designed in the event of an accident and their modification of the sensor will not affect the system in anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts