Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Intro Comments: Many thanks to Xterra_Brit and Steadyhigh for their help with the mods.

Username: puxa-Xterra

Make: Nissan
Year: 2013
Model: Xterra
Trim: Pro-4X
Color: Daytona Blue

MODS

Armour:
Front Bumper – ARB
Rear Bumper – Staang's Fabs
Sliders – Staang's Fabs
Full set of Skids - Shrockworks

Tires:
285/75/16 E BFG All Terrains KO2

Front Suspension:
2.0 Radflo's (3.5” lift) for Titan Swap
550 Lbs Eibach Springs
Rough Country UCA
Moog LCA

Rear Suspension:
HD OME Leaf Pack with 2" Shackles for a total of 4" of lift
Bilsteins 5100 3-4"

Exterior:
Smittybilt XRC-12K Winch
Rough Country Fairlead LED Bar Mount
Diamond Antenna Hatch Mount
Air Flow Snorkel
BajaRack

Lights, Electrical & Radio:
Firestik 3' CB antenna
2 - 4” 3W LED Off road lights
24" Double Row LED Lightbar
ARB Air Compressor (ARBCKMA12)
Uniden PRO505XL
39" Single Row LED Lightbar mounted on Bajarack.

Interior:
All season floor mats - Nissan
Front Seat Covers - Coverking
Maglite Flashlight + Mount
Axe attached with two Quickfists (Rear Hatch)
Small Shovel attached with two Quickfists (Rear Hatch)

Removed:
Mudflaps

Planned:
Nothing more for the moment!

PHOTOS

The day I got her:

Her first day out:

The crate with the armour from Staang's Fabs:

Sliders installed:

Rear bumper mounted:

Radflo's and front bumper installed:

ARB Compressor Installed:

Winch Mounted:

How she looks nowadays:

Some extras:

With Snorkel:

Now with Fox Shocks!

Bajarack with tire mount and LED bar:

With tire carrier:

Titan swapped:

Now with ARB front Bumper and I also painted with BedLiner the sides of the truck...

Here you can see the detail of the bedliner

I also welded a couple of recovery points to the bumper:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now with 33's and plasti-dip hood and rockers

Mounted the 33's. I have to admit that the X handles way better with these tires.

Installed the coverking (only the front seats)...

Also Plasti-Dip the hood and the sides. I used the clear plasti-dip to protect the truck from the rock chips.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is the clear plastidip as noticable in person as it is in those pics? Was looking at that or the dupliclor stone protector spray
From a certain distance you can't notice it. But if you get closer you'll see it. It's like having the 3M film but matte.
If you go with plastidip, try to apply the 3-4 layers in intervals of 45 secs and then remove the green paint tape that you're using before the plastidip dries.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now with snorkel

After a cold week, last Sunday we were around -2 C. So I decided to install the snorkel. Steady_High was right, drilling those holes were nerve wracking!

Here are some pics:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rear Fox Shocks - Extended version

Mounted my rear Fox shocks.
Only issue I found was the bushing has a metal sleeve that I had to remove. Otherwise the stock bolts would go through the bushing.
The metal sleeve had some glue on them so I couldn't remove them with pressure, so I use the drill to heat a little the metal sleeve and then with a plier I pull it out.

I emailed the Fox support just to find out if it was fine just leaving the bushing without the metal sleeve on them and they said it's perfectly fine as long as there's no movement with the bolt. So in my case is fine! Plus many ford trucks have fox shocks with no metal sleeve on them.

Here are some pics:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Nice rig! How do you like the Fox shocks so far? Weird how Fox didn't make the metal sleeve fit the Xterra's stock bolts... I don't know about removing it and mounting it on with just the rubber bushings.

Seems like it will wear out quick due to movement. I would definitely check it periodically or after every off road run.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice rig! How do you like the Fox shocks so far? Weird how Fox didn't make the metal sleeve fit the Xterra's stock bolts... I don't know about removing it and mounting it on with just the rubber bushings.

Seems like it will wear out quick due to movement. I would definitely check it periodically or after every off road run.
They're awesome! Now the truck doesn't bounce like crazy. I did feel the difference as soon as I took the truck for a ride.
Regarding the bushings, the Fox guy said it will be fine as long as he rubber bushing is tight with the stock bolt (which it is). When I removed the metal sleeve, I tried to put the bolt and fits perfectly with 0 movement. Same goes for the upper one. Although the upper one was a little bit hard to mount.

This is the answer of the Fox guy:
"As long as it is a tight fit on the mount, it should be fine. A lot of the Ford shocks don’t use the metal sleeve and they last a long time."

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
They're awesome! Now the truck doesn't bounce like crazy. I did feel the difference as soon as I took the truck for a ride.
Regarding the bushings, the Fox guy said it will be fine as long as he rubber bushing is tight with the stock bolt (which it is). When I removed the metal sleeve, I tried to put the bolt and fits perfectly with 0 movement. Same goes for the upper one. Although the upper one was a little bit hard to mount.

This is the answer of the Fox guy:
"As long as it is a tight fit on the mount, it should be fine. A lot of the Ford shocks don’t use the metal sleeve and they last a long time."
I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I'm still skeptical of the metal sleeve being removed. It's there for a reason, maybe to disperse an even weight all around the bushings due to articulation but then again, I'm no Physics major so let's just hope I'm wrong and the shocks will last you a very long time.

I would have just froze the bushings, drilled out the bushing to the correct diameter of the bolt and buy new sleeves for the bushings.

Sorry for crapping on your thread :iconbiggrin: I've just never dealt with suspension components that doesn't have a sleeve when it comes to bushings.

You know what.. maybe I'm waaay over thinking this. :violent1:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I'm still skeptical of the metal sleeve being removed. It's there for a reason
I'm still worried about that even though the Fox rep say that it will be fine. I tight the bolt with the torque wrench to 110 ft to make sure that there's no play between the bolt and the shock/bushing.
But I'll recheck at the end of the week and see if there's movement.
If that bushing is going to get destroyed, I don't think it'll be that fast. Probably I'll have to replace them after 2 years, or maybe longer. Cause I was googleing for the fox shocks that ford uses and it's true that there's no metal sleeve on them. So if those last longer I guess mine will last too.

But trust me, your not the only one skeptical about this metal sleeve issue.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts