Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i need some help running my wiring. is there a path without drilling that the wires(from the lights) can come from the roof bin down into the passanger compartment with out being see or being run down the weather stripping. i looked at the instructions USMC did and i liked the way he mapped it out. my only concern is that i DO NOT WANT TO DRILL INTO MY ROOF. the stock roof rack i have no problem drilling into that, its just i need a alternate rout to get into the passanger compartment with wires being consealed and protected. i need some help any would do and i would be most greatful. thanks alot guys

Brett

·
on line
3,262 Posts
well first off there are already tons of holes in the roof.... If you really dont want to drill you could probably take the roof rack off the top and run the wires through one of the holes that are already there... the only problem is that you wont be able to put a bolt back in the hole that you choose. This might cause some leaking issues if you dont seal it. personally i wouldnt do it any other way than MC has mapped out but that just my $0.02

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I did it the best way I could figure with over 35 years doing stuff like this. You'll likely have a chance of doing more harm trying to remove the roof rack and going that way. Plus, what about serviceability? If you ever need new, or add more wires, you have to take all that off again. They way I have it, if the wire melts, I can put new ones in on the trail. There is no harm in the hole, it's the best way, period. Access, serviceability, location, location location.

Silicone is your friend.

MC

·
on line
2,077 Posts
when i originally planned out my lights my idea was to run the wires through the roof rack tubes and drill a hole in the bottom on one of the tube and the roof, so the hole will be well hidden, waterproof, and un-noticeable....but.....i realized it would be too much work to remove a portion of the roof rack, drill all the holes so they line up and put it all back together, it took all of 45 seconds to drill through the roof, run the wire and slap some silicon on there to seal it back up.

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the imput guys what really comes down to it is that im 18 and my dad doesnt want me to do that so i have to go get in done buy some one but only the wiring im putting up the lights my self i cant let them have all the fun :cyclopsani: :bom: :drunken: :bounce: :cheese: :cherry: :cyclops: :compress: :geek:

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Xkid23 said:
thanks for the imput guys what really comes down to it is that im 18 and my dad doesnt want me to do that so i have to go get in done buy some one but only the wiring im putting up the lights my self i cant let them have all the fun :cyclopsani: :bom: :drunken: :bounce: :cheese: :cherry: :cyclops: :compress: :geek:
When i was your age and wanted to do something like this... I just asked my dad to help... we both really dont have any mechanical experience or anything so it helped to have two dumbasses rather than just one! But it ended up being a really good bonding thing that we actually started to do regularly. If you ask him to help and tell him you want this to be a way you can spend time together.... Im sure he will be more than willing to let you do it! If not... just say, "hey you dont want to spend time with your favorite son? I thought we could finally have fun together!"

That works every time!! :geek:

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hahah yea well he ran wires for 20 years or so he just wants me to do it all so i learn and him just watch over so i dont mess up too. bad but he said this is way over my head so im goin to this place in town to run the wires and im just going to mount the lights because im goin to have the lights fold into the roof bin with a light bar that i made in a metal works class in my school. its goin to fold right in with dissconect pins and some other stuff but when its done i will post up some pics :bom:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts