Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we are former X owners and are looking into a 2014 pro-4x (downsizing from a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 pulling a 34" 5ver). We're looking at tt and are thinking hybrids. We were just wondering what everyone else has or pulls. Any ideas on what we should get. It's only the two of us and our two dogs. Look forward to any and all responses.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Here's some starting reading for you: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41494&highlight=pictures+towing ... I'm not so well versed with towing and the X; but it strikes me that I'd not be as concerned with the truck's ability to pull the weight, as I would with its wheelbase.

I'd be looking to try and keep it in the 3k to 3500lb range, despite the trucks 5k rated capacity ... maybe more lenient about that if I were sticking mostly to the flats. Certainly would want to add the full 7-pin connector and a brake controller (both available from Nissan, well, the controller interface harness is ... pick your favorite controller) if I were getting into that size trailer.

·
on line
951 Posts
I tow my 4 place sled trailer with a surge brake, trailer weighs 1200#, and with 4 touring sleds on it total weight is around 4300#. No issues on the flats, downhill is great, uphill sucks. You will notice a huge hit in fuel economy, but that is to be expected. Never had any issues stopping or turning the trailer loaded, but it can get tricky when empty and it's a hard fast stop. As long as you are careful and have a weight distrubiting hitch you should be ok.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
my camper, weighs aprox 4300 LBs in camping condidtion. pics are linked in my build thread ( I am at work now and the firewall won't let me access photobucket) and in the thread posted by skibum315. to be able to tow that trailer comfortably, I was required to upgrade the leaf springs ( used helwig 550 helper springs at first, now running OME leaf pack) just to not ride the bump stops going over any sort of bumps. also using a weight distribution hitch and a break controler.

·
on line
1,511 Posts
The Xterra's 5,000# tow/9658# Gross Combined Weight Rating is dictated by the short wheel base. Mechanically the Xterra matches the Frontier and the 05 to 12 Pathfinder, which have a 6000# tow, 11,133# Gross Combined Weight Rating. Xterra/Frontier/Pathfinder use the same engine, radiator, transmission, transmission cooler, brakes, wheel size and type, same boxed steel frame. If you use a good weight distribution/sway control hitch, you can tow up to 11,000 GCWR without issue. If you stick larger tires on, you will have issues and if you drive like a moron, you'll have issues. But with your history, I don't see any problems using the Xterra to tow a 4 to 5K lb trailer.

I racked up close to 20K miles towing a decent sized travel trailer and our Xterra is still going. The right equip makes all the difference!

This is our Skyline Nomad 206, 25' long, 4300# empty, 4650 loaded. I averaged about 9 mpg while towing.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The Xterra's 5,000# tow/9658# Gross Combined Weight Rating is dictated by the short wheel base. Mechanically the Xterra matches the Frontier and the 05 to 12 Pathfinder, which have a 6000# tow, 11,133# Gross Combined Weight Rating. Xterra/Frontier/Pathfinder use the same engine, radiator, transmission, transmission cooler, brakes, wheel size and type, same boxed steel frame. If you use a good weight distribution/sway control hitch, you can tow up to 11,000 GCWR without issue. If you stick larger tires on, you will have issues and if you drive like a moron, you'll have issues. But with your history, I don't see any problems using the Xterra to tow a 4 to 5K lb trailer.

I racked up close to 20K miles towing a decent sized travel trailer and our Xterra is still going. The right equip makes all the difference!

This is our Skyline Nomad 206, 25' long, 4300# empty, 4650 loaded. I averaged about 9 mpg while towing.
My setup is very similar to unamused and the 9mpg is the only thing I don't like but as unamused once told me, we are towing a non-aerodynamically shaped object. The fun of camping overweighs the cost

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
home now and here are a couple picks of my camper
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
What model is that trailer? Is it pretty roomy with the slide? Have any issues pulling it? Like I said we were thinking a hybrid, but now I'm thinking a full hard sided. We don't want to be in one of the pop outs if it's raining, cold, snowing, windy, whatever the case maybe. You fold those in and then your left to sleeping in the dinette. How much does your trailer way? Thanks for the pics and info.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just got back from Moab towing our large pop-up camper (about 4000 fully loaded).

My old 2000 X (auto)would struggle to get across the Rockies pulling this camper! I would be doing about 20 MPH wide open when I would get to the top. The new 2012 X (6sp) was able to maintain 45 MPH at the top in 3rd or 4th gear. We averaged from 13mpg on the flats, down to 9mpg when going up the mountains. I had to install a set of FireStone Air bags to level it out along with the 7-way plug and Prodigy Brake controller.

We are looking to trade to a hard side camper just to reduce put up and take down time. Have never had an issue with this camper in high winds/rain or snow. What does that Surveyor camper cost MSRP?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
it will depend, I got a really good deal at an RV show. bought it brand new for $20 000 Canadian. but had the weight distribution hitch, and break controller installed all added in the price

·
Registered
72 Posts
I pull a Chalet Alpine, hardsided popup. Had it in every type of weather from 30" snow fall, wet Canada summer, many trips to Death Valley and Moab. It weighs 1350 lbs., my 2012 Pro-4x tows it perfectly with a weight distributing hitch which alleviates any sag in the rear end. Best weight distributing hitch that I have had for many years is Equalizer as it has built-in anti-sway bars and you do not have to buy any mickey-mouse set up. Just flipped the trailer axle which added an additional 4" of clearance (about $300, so now it can be used off road) as it has about 18-20" clearance. Might add larger wheels and tires in future, but will test out in Death Valley first.

I have owned an airstream years ago and the Chalet trailer at 16 feet feels roomier to me due to height and usability, and I can even see over the top of it driving the X. All regular trailers leave you dependent on mirrors and it is great to be able to see over top. In recent trip to Moab, averaged 15mpg with trailer in tow. Otherwise I get about 20-22mpg without trailer on open road. Used Chalets like mine can be had for about $5,000.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I pull an 18ft Fleetwood with a dry weight of 2750lbs with zero issues, I don't even know its there most times. My 09 X is the SE model and its bone stock with the exception of an add-a-leaf in the rear (I did a new rad and tranny cooler to avoid SMOD a while back) and I do have a Reese weight distribution/sway control hitch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts