Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the pulley alignment done? I could not find any info on this. I have a terrible squealing noise from the engine compartment, and I just replaced the serpentine belt and a bad alternator.
Thanks in advance everybody.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
How is the pulley alignment done? I could not find any info on this. I have a terrible squealing noise from the engine compartment, and I just replaced the serpentine belt and a bad alternator.
Thanks in advance everybody.
i doubt its belt alignment. take the belt back off and spin all the pulleys individually and see if one is squeaking. most likely the belt tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i doubt its belt alignment. take the belt back off and spin all the pulleys individually and see if one is squeaking. most likely the belt tensioner pulley.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Posted via Mobile Device
I took off the belt, ran the engine for a sec-no noise, I then spun all the pulleys, nothing loose, nothing noticeable. Btw the belt tensioner pulley is made of a hard plastic(replaced 5k ago) so it flexes a little. Should I just bite the bullet and replace it?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Does it do it only or more so on cold start? If so, its a bearing on something. Could be tensioner, or alternator (I know its new, but I am guessing reman?). Only other thing run by the belt I think is the PS pump and AC.

If it does it all the time equally doesn't mean its not a bearing, but could be alignment I suppose. However I doubt it. Maybe a bad belt somehow - grooves out of spec or something?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
the belt is supposed to self-align, so theres really no way for it to be "out of alignment" unless one of the accessories wasnt installed properly or something. you can try to run a crayon or candle on the belt while the engine is running, just BE CAREFUL. the wax coating may help the belt not squeak. Just an idea...

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I took off the belt, ran the engine for a sec-no noise, I then spun all the pulleys, nothing loose, nothing noticeable. Btw the belt tensioner pulley is made of a hard plastic(replaced 5k ago) so it flexes a little. Should I just bite the bullet and replace it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Is that an OEM belt tensioner? I would almost swear mine was metal when I replaced it.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
if you have a pulley out of alignment and/or a high pitched squeal, you probably have a bad tensioner or idler pulley bearing.

a quick check if its not obvious is to hit the bearing with a bit of wd40, if it stops, thats the one that needs to be changed. usually its a pretty easy job, and you don't have to replace the whole tensioner if just the pulley bearing is gone.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
if you have a pulley out of alignment and/or a high pitched squeal, you probably have a bad tensioner or idler pulley bearing.

a quick check if its not obvious is to hit the bearing with a bit of wd40, if it stops, thats the one that needs to be changed. usually its a pretty easy job, and you don't have to replace the whole tensioner if just the pulley bearing is gone.
But a Nissan tensioner is like 30 bucks, its worth just replacing the entire thing for that price. And the belt since you're already in there.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
But a Nissan tensioner is like 30 bucks, its worth just replacing the entire thing for that price. And the belt since you're already in there.
well then there's that, cheap insurance. the OP did say that he just replaced the belt though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts