Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm shopping for my first XTerra and I've made an appointment for this afternoon to see this one:

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/4075346069.html

I've determined that it's an S (the owner didn't know for sure until I asked him to read me the model code). Kelly Blue Book indicates a market value of ~$18,500, which is somewhat lower than the owner's current asking price of ~$21,000. Modifications: lift-kit and custom Kenwood stereo. I will stick close to the KBB value if I make an offer.

Does this forum have any advice for me? Any must-ask questions?

Thanks in advance,

:salute:

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Yeah I would definitely think it should be less than 20k. Remember, the leveling kit shouldn't add value, or at least not much. Make sure that it's installed correctly!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Way to much money man, you can get an off road model for that.
Agree, even I found 2010 off road ! with less km on kijiji close to me for the same money (CAD of course);-) and it's pricey here in Northern BC. Either keep looking or offer much less...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Are you serious??? This is just ridiculous to me that the owner didn't know this!
You would think so but... When I was looking for my OR X I had a hell of a hard time finding one that was listed correctly from both dealers and private sellers. The listings for most of the Xterras I found just seemed to randomly mostly say S or SE, no matter what they were. Almost everything that was listed as an OR was not. I got to the point where I had them send me a picture of the door or the diff lock switch on the inside so I could quickly make sure before driving down to look at it.

Also there were a few times where someone was selling a 2WD OR and didn't know it was 2WD. That drove me crazy (and wasted a lot of my time).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No Deal, but Worth the Trip

My dear new friends,

Thanks to all again for your candid feedback (both by public and private message). You are giving me confidence in my intuitions.

I did check out the car this afternoon. The vehicle was not as impeccable as I imagined it would be. When the sellers arrived at our rendezvous location (a tad late) the car was still dripping wet underneath from a rushed wash-job. I also noticed some ill-applied tire gloss. Meh.

However, the test drive made the trip worthwhile. This was my first time in an XTerra ever. I LOVED how it drove. It's on-road manners exceeded my expectations. The XTerra is bad-ass. I am now totally sold on the XTerra even though this particular vehicle is not the right deal. This particular S did have nearly every accessory that (I believe) comes standard with the Off Road trim (Bilstein shocks, fancy stereo, roof rack compartment). But I agree with the consensus the forum that these add-ons do not make its fair market value equivalent to a factory-built Off Road version.

The sellers mentioned that they when first listed it, they got a lot of calls from dealers. In any case, their bottom dollar is not close enough to the Kelly Blue Book value to keep me interested.

I would like to try out a 2011-2013 Pro-4X next. This will require some longer-distance traveling, but I have spotted at least one ad for an Oregon Pro-4X which is priced reasonably close to KBB. You may see me start a new thread here in the very near future!

Talk w/ y'all again soon,
:hello2:

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
This particular S did have nearly every accessory that (I believe) comes standard with the Off Road trim (Bilstein shocks, fancy stereo, roof rack compartment).
The biggest thing you are forgetting is the gears and the m226 w/ E locker in the off road edition!!!

The 2nd gen Xterra comes with 2 different axles; the c200 and the m226. Bottom line you can put larger gears in the m226 thus making it more capable for future modifications (they are now making some options for the c200 with some frontier gears). Any Xterra that has the 6 speed manual transmission also has the m226 but it will only have a E-Locker if it is the Off-Road/Pro-4X model.

The S model you were test driving was an Auto with a c200 axle without a locker and with 3.13 gears.

The Off-Road/Pro-4X model in a 6spd will have a m226 w/ E-Locker and 3.69 gears and the Auto version has 3.36 gears.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
The biggest thing you are forgetting is the gears and the m226 w/ E locker in the off road edition!!!

The 2nd gen Xterra comes with 2 different axles; the c200 and the m226. Bottom line you can put larger gears in the m226 thus making it more capable for future modifications (they are now making some options for the c200 with some frontier gears). Any Xterra that has the 6 speed manual transmission also has the m226 but it will only have a E-Locker if it is the Off-Road/Pro-4X model.

The S model you were test driving was an Auto with a c200 axle without a locker and with 3.13 gears.

The Off-Road/Pro-4X model in a 6spd will have a m226 w/ E-Locker and 3.69 gears and the Auto version has 3.36 gears.
Oh geez, one learns every day something new about X. Thanks for this, have no idea what it is about, some reading for today I guess. :newb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Duly Noted

I didn't forget. I didn't know in first place. ;)

My knowledge expands exponentially every day on this forum. :D

·
Registered
378 Posts
hahahaha gotcha! Well on all AUTO models definitely pull the cap on the radiator to visually inspect for contamination (when cool). It will look like a frothy strawberry milkshake if it is contaminated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAOcbKVrjQ8
This is exactly my nightmare with X, I just went and check that. Fortunately I'm good so far, was clear and green...:blob5::wav:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts