Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have seen so many posts on here on random forums about the proper operation of a stick and how 90 percent (bit exaggerated) of us don't know how to drive one properly. So what are the big no no's you have seen people do while driving stick? Here's how I do it:

When starting out I use 1st gear, I try my best to keep the rpm as low as possible without lugging. I let it out about medium speed, a bit of slipping the clutch for a smooth, automatic like startup. Shifting up in gears I will engage clutch, and either wait a second in neutral to let the engine rpm naturally drop a bit to match up with the next gear, or if I'm in a hurry I won't wait. I will add throttle while shifting up to provide a smooth transition. When slowing down I may downshift to about 4th if coming off a freeway(used to downshift to 3rd or even 2nd) if I shift lower than that while decelerating I am rev matching. If driving slower than 1st gear idle, I slip the clutch at lowest rpm possible without lugging.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hmmmmm...what's the point of this thread exactly?

I think he's just looking for an honest critique of how he handles an MT. I know I've had questions from time to time. I never had an issue with similar critiques flying, don't have an issue with it in the driving arena either.

Most of what he said is pretty much how I try to do things. I do notice myself using the handbrake uch more now (i.e on steeper grades) and leave it engaged (not locked) so I don't slip backwards at all.

·
Registered
595 Posts
i usually rev it up to about 4-5000 and then put her right in to 3rd. 1st and 2nd are for wussies
You must know my old neighbor. He's the @#$%ing reason I'll be putting a new clutch in this thing before it hits 50K. I've personally never seen smoke pour from a clutch before I let him back a trailer into a confined driveway for me...

@#$% that guy.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Tough crowd in here tonight (and this ain't even my thread).

To recap, people should just know how to operate an MT, and there is no technique, or finesse to it. Modern MT's also synchronize (which I did not know), so striving to match RPM's is not necessary. The Titan may get a Cummins (which I did know). And I just learned a new acronym - "JFC".

Alrighty then.

I fail to see what's wrong with the guy asking for a little feedback, or if there is something he's unaware of or could improve upon. JFC WTF indeed...

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Tough crowd in here tonight (and this ain't even my thread).

To recap, people should just know how to operate an MT, and there is no technique, or finesse to it. Modern MT's also synchronize (which I did not know), so striving to match RPM's is not necessary. The Titan may get a Cummins (which I did know). And I just learned a new acronym - "JFC".

Alrighty then.

I fail to see what's wrong with the guy asking for a little feedback, or if there is something he's unaware of or could improve upon. JFC WTF indeed...
Hey, I'm just trying to help. On downshifts yes it does help to match, but on the upshift it doesn't matter all that much.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hey, I'm just trying to help. On downshifts yes it does help to match, but on the upshift it doesn't matter all that much.
That's good stuff to know (to me at least). While the rest of the world was growing up with cars, I sorta did it with aircraft. Most of the time, I lived in major metropolitan areas, so no real need for a car. I think I got my first car when I was 23. I also was never an enthusiast before getting the X, and that was only about 8 months ago. I am behind the power curve for sure.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Depends. I drive the manual on my Z very differently than the manual on the Xterra.

I tend to keep the X in the highest possible gear to save on gas and coast in neutral when decelerating, but always ready to engage the proper gear to get going. Once I had to drive the X off a trail and home ~70 miles with a blown clutch. Shifting up and down with no clutch. Getting going with the starter and 1st gear.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Depends. I drive the manual on my Z very differently than the manual on the Xterra.

I tend to keep the X in the highest possible gear to save on gas and coast in neutral when decelerating, but always ready to engage the proper gear to get going. Once I had to drive the X off a trail and home ~70 miles with a blown clutch. Shifting up and down with no clutch. Getting going with the starter and 1st gear.
If you don't mind me asking Eric, how do you handle the manual on the Z? I have never owned anything high performnce, though it is on my wish list.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you guys heard that they are putting a Cummins in the new Titan???

Honestly, these threads are getting pretty tiresome.
I am getting tired of seeing people ask clutch related questions, and the only input some people have is "learn how to drive stick". I had no intention of this thread going in that direction, I dislike those threads being spread all about the forums in every different category as much as anyone else. My goal with this thread was to clarify that my driving technique is satisfactory, and that I can pass on that knowledge without poisoning others with bad information. And have a thread for future manual transmission x drivers who are newer to the manual transmission. Perhaps an on going thread where people can post what they feel are stupid questions here. So they don't get flamed by everyone and their mom when they make a new thread.

Maybe some info on clutch use while on the trail. Do I use the clutch on that incline to go slower or do I eat the obstacle a little faster while not slipping the clutch? I feel this is situational dependent, but again I have very little experience so if I'm wrong I would like to hear it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's good stuff to know (to me at least). While the rest of the world was growing up with cars, I sorta did it with aircraft. Most of the time, I lived in major metropolitan areas, so no real need for a car. I think I got my first car when I was 23. I also was never an enthusiast before getting the X, and that was only about 8 months ago. I am behind the power curve for sure.
I leaned how to fly around the same time i learned how to drive.Sometimes (especially when I'm tired) I drive sort of how I fly. Ill find myself getting off he freeway bleeding off speed and holding others up (or at least they think I'm holding them up). Also right after I soloed I used to pretend my downshifts where flap settings haha.

·
Registered
647 Posts
if you aren't matching revs on up and down shifts your wearing out your clutch, end of story, it has nothing to do with the synchros, you have two shafts spinning at different rates seperated by the clutch, when you drop that clutch the shafts are forced to spin at the same rate and any excess energy gets taken up by t he clutch as heat/wear

nothing drives me more nuts then people slipping the clutch every shift

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I don't disagree with you. The upshifts, on mine at least, dont take that much time for the speeds to match. By the time I shift and let of the clutch they are very close. Down shifts are a different story, yes I try to match those with the throttle.

My wife's focus is a completely different story, the engine rpm takes a long time to lower when up shifting.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
i usually rev it up to about 4-5000 and then put her right in to 3rd. 1st and 2nd are for wussies
:thumbright: :laughing3:

I never had an AT until the Xterra, truth be told I wanted a manual but I couldn't find one within 150 miles to test drive to at least get a feel for the clutch.

Then I stumbled across owner reviews on Edmunds.com complaining about the weak clutch (apparently the same used in the 350Z) and decided, get the AT.

Little did I know about SMOD... or this forum. So sad.

Very few bad clutch posts on here. So likely I would have been fine with an MT.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts