Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though it's a little late for me, I was wondering what the proper checks and maintenances are for prepping the X for cold weather?

I've been all up and down the East Coast so far, currently in Buffalo, NY, and it has gotten pretty f'in cold compared to TX!

Before we hit the road I swapped over to AMS Oil 5w-30, did my diff's w/ their gear lube about a month before, and had my tires rotated & balanced as well as an alignment. This is the first time my X has seen weather below freezing.

Was I missing anything?

·
on line
1,574 Posts
an ice scrapper.
you dont wanna be like me useing a credit card when its sleeting with negitive windchills. no gloves.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
just some good antifreeze. and plenty of windsheild fluid. for driving through wet snow, sleet, ect. its also a good idea to have cold weather gear in the truck, blanket, gloves, the usuall.
but you shouldnt have any problems til your at about -200 or whatever when you hit the freezing point of gas.

·
on line
16 Posts
I've found the same thing here in CO.... it gets pretty damn cold, but the X stands up far better than my VW did in the dank humidity of St. Louis

·
on line
432 Posts
Make sure your tires are not over-inflated. I believe recommended cold weather pressure on my stock OR tires is 30-35psi?

And I make sure I have gloves and an extra jacket in the back seat at all times. :)

- Russell

·
on line
1,208 Posts
About that washer fluid.....

When living in upstate NY (watertown) I found it 100xs better to use the orange washerfluid from rainX with the de-icer??? in it.

Also I always carried the stuff from autozone that you can squeeze on/in your door lock key unit if it gets frozen. I also had a blanket and candles (warmth) because i did alot of traveling on low traveled back roads and if ever stuck, the warmth from a candle in your car is a life saver. I also had a few MRE (meals ready to eat/meals rejected by ethiopians) and a gallon of water with some salt in it (lowers the freezing temperature).

Hope that helps, its more survival stuff than niceties. :)

·
on line
1,208 Posts
I also found that in a pinch, peeing on your windshield works quite well at thawing it off. :thumbleft:

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
brutus_skx said:
I also found that in a pinch, peeing on your windshield works quite well at thawing it off. :thumbleft:
LOL, keep that as a de last resort! And as far as MRE's go, I've def had my fair share from Uncle Sam of those and will NOT be resorting to Country Captain Chicken or the likes again anytime soon!

·
on line
735 Posts
The factory lubricants should be good down to whatever temps you are seeing in the lower 48, but the synthetic 5w is a good idea and since you have an '05, you probably should drain and flush the radiator within the next year or so-probably in the summertime. be sure to check that it is 50/50 mix and good down to -20 F.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
!!

X3 on the coolant - a 50/50 mix is perfect for Buffalo.

Most, if not all, windshield washer fluid in upstate New York will have an anti-freeze agent in it. The label on the jug will state the temp range.

Lock de-icer is a good idea, especially if you have a locking gas cap.

You may want to consider using dry gas. When I lived in Rochester, I put a bottle of dry gas in my gas tank at each fill up (during the winter months).

Keep your gas tank at least half full. You never know when your one hour commute will turn into three hours because of bad weather. Also, the more gas you have in your tank, the less likely you will get condensation in your tank.

Get a really good snowbrush with a telescoping handle. Spend the extra couple of bucks on a good one. It will save you time and aggravation.

Don't get the truck washed too late in the day. The seals on the doors won't have enough time to dry out, and they could freeze onto the truck at night.

Hook up with one of the Buffalo Jills Cheerleaders to keep you warm at night!

·
on line
102 Posts
As a Texan riding out my first winter in Minnesota, I'd also appreciate any advice on washing road salt off my X once we get a day of above-freezing weather. What should I spray down on the underbody? Just anything salty-looking?

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've always pressure-washed every nook and cranny I could reach under the X. Especially around the wheel areas, be sure to wash out everything in your brakes. You'll be glad you did so because this will avoid those annoying squeaks when you apply the brakes, as well as prolong your pad life.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
txelen said:
As a Texan riding out my first winter in Minnesota, I'd also appreciate any advice on washing road salt off my X once we get a day of above-freezing weather. What should I spray down on the underbody? Just anything salty-looking?
Touchless carwash with underbody cycle. If it ever warms up. :compress:

·
on line
2,125 Posts
norshor said:
txelen said:
Touchless carwash with underbody cycle. If it ever warms up. :compress:
agreed X2

1 - 20 of 20 Posts