Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was airing down the other day before my buddy (the one w/ the FJ) and I were about to hit some trails. Come to find out I've been driving around on BFG ATs with 50psi! This came as quite a shock to me since the recommended psi is 35, right!? Is this just an error on NTB's side or do ATs need to be aired up more?!

·
on line
3,218 Posts
you need a chalk test, but 50 is waay outta' line. I like 36psi in my rugged trails or whatever they send out on the OR.

·
on line
358 Posts
Chalk test! But I would bet you will be about 35psi. They, tire dealer, usualy air up tires to the max pressure if the tire is not a stock replacement. (Xterras come with a car tire, P, and the BFGs are a light truck tire, LT) 50 is way too high.

·
on line
244 Posts
After I left the tire place, I checked the PSI and they were setting at 65. I run them now at 35 and they are wearing evenly. I guess they air them up to the max pressure......

·
on line
1,208 Posts
what is a chalk test? :drunken: :geek:

·
on line
2,077 Posts
Take a piece of chalk. mark a line across each tire, edge to edge, drive forward about 3 or 4 tire revolutions then stop slowly without turning.
look at the chalk line,
if the center is gone, but you see chalk on the edges of the tire, too much air.
If the center is there but the edge is gone, not enough air.

Keep repeating, add or take out air as needed, until you have even wear, on the chalk across the tread. Works on cars trucks, trailers, lawn tractors, you will be impressed with how much longer tires last, when they have the right wear pattern.

**stolen from a thread on oilburners.net***

1 - 10 of 10 Posts