Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys share some info on what pressure to air down to? When is it necessary and when don’t you want to do it? After trail running can I make it safely back to a fill station or should I bring a pump? Help a noob out with some tips and advice on the basics.

Thanks!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
hmmm, lets see. It all depends on what size tires you have.... Im running 35's and i usually air down to around 15psi... when I had the 33s i aired down to 19-21 psi. I have had no problems driving around aired down. I went to Moab an pretty much left my tires at 20 psi the whole trip (I had 33s at the time). Just dont do any interstate driving and you should be fine... and head straight to the fill up station when finished wheeling.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Hey Eddo, did you ever install an airtank in your rig? I thought I remembered you saying something about you putting it where your spare tire was. Did that work out? Aren't you afraid of hitting it on rocks?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Size doesn't have as much to do with airing down as why type of tires and the weight of the vehicle.

Air down until you see a bulge in the sidewall. I air my 285/75R16 BFG MT's on the X to 12-15psi and the 35x12.50x15 ProComp Xterrain's on the Jeep to 10-12psi.

OBA/CO2 is nice, but as long as there is a gas station within a few miles to air back up, you are safe. Just remember, take it easy when on the road (ie, no quick turns).

·
on line
15,651 Posts
KillJoy LosAngeles said:
Hey Eddo, did you ever install an airtank in your rig? I thought I remembered you saying something about you putting it where your spare tire was. Did that work out? Aren't you afraid of hitting it on rocks?
That is where I have mine. I have it mounted to a custom skid plate. It's tucked up so far you can't tell it's there (it's higher than the spare was.

·
on line
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guessed it guys… Running the stock 265/75R16. That makes them 32� right?

Thanks Eddo.

BTW, your truck is AWSOME! I'm trying desperately not to use that high limit credit card that seems to be taunting me to mod till I max it out. Now that I’m married I got to inherit my wife’s debt (shoes and purses could fill the back of my new X) so paying that and the new ride down first... There is always Christmas though! I’m asking for some shrock sliders. Hope Santa likes off roading!

Thanks Jason.

That makes it easier than checking each tire with a gauge. What types of trails would I want to “air down� for and which ones would I not want to?

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Hey Muzik, did you make a hole somewhere in your bumper to get to the control and the plug?

·
on line
3,218 Posts
I've always gone by the terrain ahead. Rocks are different than sand, as mud is different to snow. And when you talk about airing down to wheel in snow/ice, there're a few schools of thought there as well.

Most of my off roading's on rocks, and I've run 33" DuellerMTs at 10 and FStone Desti MTs (33) (yes, I know it's metric..) at 12-15. Now, for something like slickrock, in Sedona, or Moab, I'm happy around 18-20. Still a good flat wide footprint, and the sidewalls retain their rigidity. That's a good pressure for "boony-whompin'" down dirt roads/washes, or over long washboards too. Smooths out the ride considerably, so you can spend more time, boony-whompin'. I've been almost impressed with the stock OR tires coincidentally, for what I've put them through so far, I'd expected carnage already, but no. :)

·
on line
1,123 Posts
I now air down ever time I go off-road. Not only does it help with traction, it really smooths out the ride (so my wife doesn't complain as much). I'm running 255/85R16 TrXus M/Ts and air down to 18 using Staun deflators. I carry a compressor and air up at the end of the trail unless I can drive to a service station within a few miles. I'm going to hard mount the compressor and an airtank (winter project) so the air up is faster.

·
on line
735 Posts
I'd air down no less than 13 psi, but I know people push it and run 10 (blown beads possible). never had any trouble at 13 or 14 psi. I'm willing to drive on the highway 10 or 15 miles to a gas station that way too if you don't get over 60 mph and you aren't grossly overloaded. Not a recommendation, just saying if you take it easy, you'll be ok for short hops.

my last jeep had an air compressor, but it got hot, so I kind of split the difference and aired up to 20 or so psi per tire to cut the running time in half on the compressor. 22-24 psi on bigger tires was enough to safely support the weight of that vehicle for 100 mile rides home if I wanted.

for quick obstacles, run 18-20 psi so it still drives ok on the street. for real hard obstacls or deep sand.go to 15 psi.

·
on line
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right on guys and thanks! I'll try it this weekend when I'm out wheelin...

·
on line
704 Posts
Rugged Trails are pretty soft and while you can get away with airing down to 15psi on a tire that has strong side wall, stock tires may be more prone to puncture at low pressure.

I have a compressor that I snatched on Amazon for $60. It hooks up directly to the battery and does a decent job. However, I can never trust it and I have to use a normal air gauge to check the pressure.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Good points everyone, I guess I was just being too cautious running 15 psi!

The on board air 'fiasco' will hopefully be completed next time I get home (I'm coming back around the 24th).

And yes I did sortof steal jason's idea! Thanks ;)

·
on line
564 Posts
Dude, in case you haven't done so yet, here's a great book on 4 wheeling that will explain airing down and a bunch of other aspects of wheeling. It'll answer a bunch of your questions...even the ones you don't know to ask yet.

Four Wheeler's Bible, by Jim Allen

Rob

·
on line
230 Posts
All great advice. Just remember 2 enemy's on the road while aired down. Turns and heat build up. Take it easy and you will be fine. Most roll overs I have heard of the owner FORGOT he was aired down and was back to normal highway driving.

Also, dont drive everyone nuts waiting for you to air down. Get a cheap air down kit, I like the one that goes on your key ring. If you go on board air go quality, but for simple airing up the high dollar Vi-air is sold for only 60.00 at Sams Club or Costco if I remember. Dont go for the 19.95 special. Also remember gas stations many times have pay compressors that add 1lb of pressure/ minute :geek: I spent 1hr looking for a compressor in Tuscon that worked one year before limping back to camp near Florence.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Honestly, the $50 for the Staun deflater is worth it IMO. I bought them early last year after freezing my hands off trying to air down during a very cold snow run. I have not regretted the purchase one bit.

As for airing back up. When looking at a compressor, look at the CFM and not so much at the total pressure which is usually what they put in big letters on the box. A 200psi compressor will do you no good if it only puts out .5 cfm at 20psi.

After comparing them in person, there are a few portable compressors that are identical to the viair's. I know Harbor Freight carries one that is like $50.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts