Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to say how impressed I am w/ the Volant CAI. I put it in about halfway through a tank of gas so I didn't really get the full "economic" effect. Well after going my first full tank w/ it in, my gas light came on exactly at 245 miles! I then filled up at about 248. I haven't seen that amount of miles on one tank in about 2 years and several grand earlier in mods!!!

GET A VOLANT!!!

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Only 245 miles before the light? Is that adjusted for your 33's or is that with no mods to the speedo? Also, what kind of mileage were you getting before the Volant? If you can get a 10% increase in mileage with it, I'm buying one ASAP! Fuel around here is at all time high so anything that can pay for itself in short time (as well as conserving gas for everyone) is a mod I have to do.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
damn, I just changed my #1 next mod!!!Gas is $1.21 a litre here in Vancouver this weekend. That's $4.57 a gallon canadian (which is the same as USD).
This really sucks.
They announced a "Carbon Tax" (in BC) of 2.5 cents last month to be in effect July 1st, the next day, gas went up 3 cents a litre and hasn't stopped since. he carbon tax will just be added on top.
I was talking to a guy who works for a gas station company the other day. The gas stations are making about 4 - 6 cents per litre profit. All the rest is going to the oil guys and the tax man!!! Sucks to be the little guy!!

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
TX:

Your roof rack alone with cut your mileage, not too mention the 33"s will cut about 50 miles out of a tank of gas.

So, you can use all the help you can get with the Volant CIA to save some mileage!

(I only put my roof rack on when I need it, as for my 33"s they steal my gas every day.)

·
on line
3,218 Posts
W/ 33's, AT, Amsoil drop in filter, and no extra rack stuff (yet), my reserve light's coming on around 265-275 miles. It used to pop on at just over 300 with the OE Rugged trails..

·
on line
1,054 Posts
i get roughly 250-265 out of a tank, 33s, roof rack, lights, sliders, i leave my skids off tho.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Still curious about the miles/tank thing from people w/ 33's. Are the stated miles/tank after you adjust for the bigger tires, or just the reading on the odometer? Don't know what's available out there for speedo correction for our X's. My son's Jeep was way off, what with 35's and then re-gearing the thing, we had no idea whether it was falsely high or falsely low (definitely low with just the big tires). He bought a new speedo gear and popped it in. Now the speedo and odometer are correct.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Yeah, if you've gone up from 265 70s to 285s add 7 miles for every 100 on the odometer; from 265 75s to 285s, add 5 miles.

You loose mpg, of course, but often less than people think since your odometer (and speedo) are now reading 5-7% low.

·
on line
148 Posts
Has anybody else seen results like that? I think I may give this mod a try.

·
on line
874 Posts
well I saw an improvmente when i put on my airaide intake...went from 255-275 on a tank, and now that i have the gibson cat back I just past 275 on the first full tank and still have a 1/4 tank to go...looking for over 300 for the first time on the x!

·
on line
3,050 Posts
with my rack/hi-lift, spare tire mounted on top and my Mickey Thompson MTZ's I lucky to get 325 kms in the city...I dont do alot of highway driving, but will be driving to Ottawa for the Easter Long weekend, so I will see how many kms I get to a tank...I think my mtz's kill me at the pumps...even if I went with a 33 AT tire, I would probably get better fuel economy. Well I think this is gonna be my next big mod after the lift is complete.

·
on line
1,206 Posts
With my mods listed below, I get 300+ to a tank all of the time. I think a lot of the gas killing comes from the shrock stuff...

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I'm sure my roof rack doesn't help w/ the poor mileage! Although it came off today against my will, the car wash was too short and I was too tall. 2 + 2 = the rack got knocked off!

Def would recommend this Volant CAI to you guys, especially w/ the bigger tires and heavier weight from gear and Shrockworks stuff!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts