Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, I put a sunroof in. Yes, plenty of very intelligent people tried to talk me out of it.

If you'd like to discuss feasibility, please start a new thread. I'm fully aware that I can't stand on the roof safely anymore. I was pretty clear on that when I decided to cut a 35" x 25" hole in the top. Furthermore, nothing extremely structural was removed, and if an 18-wheeler drives over the rig I dont think a bit of 1/8" sheet metal will be the thing that saves my life.

However, I am looking for advice on the final touches.

Photographic journey below...

Measuring

Skip a couple steps -- fabric cut, hemmed, and snaps installed

Drilling the first hole

Installing snaps

Cutting underway

Cutting complete

Weather stripping installed. All done for now

So I gotta figure out how to cover the gap/cut edge of the headliner. I'm considering aluminum in a C-shape, or maybe fabric. Open to suggestions

Update 190605
It rained today and I had to run outside to put the cover on. I wanted to give the sealant around the weather strip a full 24 hours to cure but it wasnt worth it. Anyways... more pictures. Hope you're on wi-fi and not data

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
quite an ambitious project!

I like it! what about some kind of foam insert to seal the gap?

I see your using a snap down fabric cover which is neat, i was wondering how you were going to get something to close it up with the contour of the roof.

cant wait to see the finished project and i cant imagine how cool it would feel to drive down the road in an open top X!!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quite an ambitious project!

I like it! what about some kind of foam insert to seal the gap?

I see your using a snap down fabric cover which is neat, i was wondering how you were going to get something to close it up with the contour of the roof.

cant wait to see the finished project and i cant imagine how cool it would feel to drive down the road in an open top X!!

That's a good idea! Maybe spray foam that will get hard and I can clean up and paint or use body filler. Hmmmm

·
Registered
555 Posts
I love this forum. Balls deep dude! Would it look strange from the inside if the headliner were glued up to the roof around the opening? would probably make it easier to finish one single glued entity rather that dealing with the 2 layers.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Mirror your snaps from the roof.

Fill the gap with expanding foam, clean it up, glue the same fabric as you made the cover out of around the edge and bring it inside an inch or so as a border, add the snaps to finish the look.
(Black snaps on the inside.)

Bad azz work, btw. Unique as hell. Kudos to ya for one of the coolest mods I’ve seen in a long long time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Probably used the 'pretty cool' roof storage for wet items once in 9 years. Had to take it apart a few times to clean out debris that's impossible to get to without removal. So I gotta say the open roof is "PRETTY COOL". Way to go dude!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses everyone. After some thought, I plan to 3d print a custom border around the headliner that will cover my unsightly gaps and bad cutting. It will take some effort but it should pay off big time.

Updated OP with more photos for your viewing pleasure

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's always fun to watch someone else do something I'd never have the guts to do myself. This is really cool!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was literally just thinking of a sunroof, that's awesome you went for it! Following, I may follow in your foot steps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts