Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, recently I bought a gallon of rustoleum brush on bedliner, and today I proceded to paint up the frame, rear leaf springs, shackles, and rear axle. It came out great! and I hope it is durable. Either way, I barely used 1/8 of the can, so I will have it for a LONG time for touch-ups and stuff. Anyways, I figured I would give you guys kind of a description of what I did, as well as some pictures to show how it came out.

Supplies:

- Can of rustoleum brush on bedliner (I bought a gallon, you could easily get away with just a quart)
- Medium sized paint brush
- Drill with 4" wire wheel attachment
- [optional] simple green cleaner
- hose

Step 1:

Jack the truck up, put on jack stands, take the wheels and all 4 inner fender liners off. I just put everything to the corner of the vehicle that it came off of. I also used small dixie cups to hold all the screws and such that came off each liner.

Step 2:

At this time, I sprayed all the bits of the frame/undercarriage that I was going to be painting with simple green. By the time I finished making my way around the truck, I grabbed the hose and started spraying it off. Try to get as much caked on mud and dirt of as possible. Once finished, wait to dry before moving onto the next step.

Step 3:

Using the drill with the wire wheel attachment, grind off any rust that you can see on the frame areas where you will be painting. Now, I only ground off the worst of the stuff, there was some light surface rust on some spots I left and just painted over. You could spend HOURS on prep, but I found that in the spots where I ground down to bare metal, I had to put an extra coat or two of bedliner on it.

Step 4:

Now its time to paint. I just opened up the can, mixed it up, grabbed my brush, and started painting. I tried to be as thorough as I could, hitting just about every spot I could get to on the frame. It came out very good. You just want to make sure you get nice coverage. The painting part took me a LONG time, but its worth it to be meticulous IMO. Other than that, its pretty simple.

Step 5:

Once you finish painting and it dries, I sprayed my fender liners with simple green and hosed them off. Then I installed them with all the hardware. Then just put your wheels back on and you're all set!

Heres a before shot of one side:

Heres the after on the opposite side:

Heres the rear of the frame/rear leaf spring:

Rear axle:

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, this morning I touched up the two spots where my jack stands were sitting on the frame, as well as through another coat of paint on the bottom of the frame rails as well as a couple other spots. It seems like this stuff is really durable and is going to last a long time. Touch ups are cake and it blends really nicely. Definitely glad I did this, hopefully it will hold up to the winter. All you guys up north need to do this!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Can I ask a dumb question from down in the flatlands?

Is there ANY chance that could trap moisture in the frame? Just wondering. It looks great and sounds great in principle, but I have to ask.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I ask a dumb question from down in the flatlands?

Is there ANY chance that could trap moisture in the frame? Just wondering. It looks great and sounds great in principle, but I have to ask.
Idk how that could be possible. Its not like I'm painting over it being wet. Also, its not completely sealing the frame, there are still holes in the frame which you can't get in to paint the inside. So the answer is, no...its not going to trap moisture in the frame. The purpose of doing this is getting rid of any rust that was there, painting over it to protect it, and keep it from rusting in the future.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Idk how that could be possible. Its not like I'm painting over it being wet. Also, its not completely sealing the frame, there are still holes in the frame which you can't get in to paint the inside. So the answer is, no...its not going to trap moisture in the frame. The purpose of doing this is getting rid of any rust that was there, painting over it to protect it, and keep it from rusting in the future.
Ok, that makes sense. I haven't really gotten out there to look at the frame, I was just wondering if there were any small areas that this stuff my bridge and trap water.

Thanks and looks good!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I missed your post...I've only driven it today since bedlining everything, but to answer your question...no I haven't heard any squeaking coming from the leafs. I think if anything, it would prevent them and help dampen any sound. I was getting a squeak from my front left control arm, from where I bashed the mount on a rock at RC, and it was all rusted. After I painted it with the bedliner it hasn't squeaked yet.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Interesting... That's good to know. I have been wanted to make my leafs prettier since I lifted and they're now visible. This might be my solution :)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting... That's good to know. I have been wanted to make my leafs prettier since I lifted and they're now visible. This might be my solution :)
Yeah definitely! I wasn't planning on painting them, and then I accidentally got some paint on them, and brushed a little more on, and i was like DAMN! that looks good! So I kept going lol, and then did the whole rear axle as that was forming surface rust too. Now everything looks nice and purdy! :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sub'd, I want to see how this holds up after this winter.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Looks great man! I noticed you took off the plastic under the wheel wells, did you not put it back on? Do we absolutely need them (e.i skip melt mod)? I'm wondering this because I too, cut a piece off my fender and bent it back a bit. So the bottom of the plastic is hanging :p Just curious, sorry for the thread jack...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks good Dave! I touch up my frame behind my rear wheels after every trip to Rausch. The tires end up tearing the paint of, look forward to seeing if the rolled on stuff is stronger.
Thanks Dave! haha...yeah ever since I got spacers, and now that I have my new wheels, they don't rub in the rear. I shouldnt have to touch up the frame because of that again ;)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks great man! I noticed you took off the plastic under the wheel wells, did you not put it back on? Do we absolutely need them (e.i skip melt mod)? I'm wondering this because I too, cut a piece off my fender and bent it back a bit. So the bottom of the plastic is hanging :p Just curious, sorry for the thread jack...
I only took the liners off to gain more access to the frame so I could get better coverage. I put the liners back in once I was finished. You want to keep the liners. They keep lots of things from getting soaked with water. It also keeps mud/dirt from building up in places you don't want it to be.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
ehh theres enough holes in the frame to let out any moisture, it looks great I might have to try this out, and get a cover for that axle :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts