Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So, here's an interesting one. I got the truck to the garage and thought it couldn't hurt to flush the fluid again. I had about half a gallon left and thought I'd like to see what the fluid looked like. Hooked up my line and my bottle. Nothing is coming out. Just a few drops came out and then nothing. I added a little fluid to see what would happen. Nothing is pumping though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Drained the pan and pulled it off. Found that that filter was completely clogged. Cleaned it up and installed the pan again. Filled and tried to make it around the block. Something isn't happy. I'm worried that I'm just burning clutches at this rate.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just a quick update. X has been on hold for a couple weeks. I spent last weekend working on my dad's Titan. Installed long tubes and catted B-pipes with an UpRev tune. The 200000 mile truck feels great again! Crazy difficult install, though. Saving a few bucks to buy a used transmission. Planning to install my new valve body in one and hopefully be good to go. I have a little pile of parts to install, too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Another quick update. It was a busy and hot summer at work. I actually sold my evo, too. Ended up with an e90 335i as a weekend car. Now I'm anxious to get the xterra running. I got the truck in the air over the past week. Driveshaft is pulled. Secondary cat pipes are off the car. All the wiring is off the transfer case.

So, I went to drain the xfer case... Approximately 1/2 a cup of fluid came out. That's pretty concerning. I'm hoping to get it off the truck tomorrow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Decent update. I've been working little by little to get some things done before Christmas gets here and my weeks get longer. I pulled the transfer case of a few weeks ago. K member came off after a lot of banging. Starter was unbolted and one of the bolts stripped out. Mileage is unknown so I'll probably swap it out while it's off. I worked off and on over the past 2 weeks on the passenger's side cat and manifold. 2 nuts stripped. Finally got it off this afternoon.

Then I got the last 2 bellhousing bolts off after that. Trans came down pretty quikly.

Happy to see that the back of the engine is dry.

Swapped my electric can onto my CSF so I could toss the old radiator.

Got one of my valve covers replaced:

First sticker (lol):

I have a few maintenance parts on the way to tackle before I start putting the trans back on. Glad to be making some progress, though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Just another update. Replacement transmission is in the truck and torqued down. Flex plate is connected. Went ahead and replaced the starter while I was in there. Transfer case is in place and has a few bolts in it. Hoping to get it torqued down this weekend and get prop shaft in place.

Also ordered my DT long tubes last week. Summit changed my estimated date from 3/11 to 5/8. DT told me that was an overestimate and they should ship by the end of March. Here's hoping!

Still have some things to do, but it's getting there. I also found a brand new in box steering wheel, it's on the truck! I'll try to get some pics up of progress soon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Not sure if anyone is still reading, but I took advantage of my vacation to work on the Xterra. I'm supposed to be in Mexico, but my wife was worried we would get stuck there due to the virus. Decided to to spend a few hours under the truck.

Transfer case is bolted up and torqued down. Electronic connections are in place as well are breathers. Transmission electronics are connected as well as fluid lines and shifter. I didn't torque down the dipstick/fill tube as I may have to move it around to put the headers in. Starter heat shield back in place. Intake manifold bracket is bolted up. Intake manifold is torqued back down.

I broke a grease fitting off the u-joint at some point. I replaced the u-joint today and bolted up the front prop shaft. K-member is back in place bolted back up. Good 5 hours under the truck and jacks and blocks are out from under the driveline!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not sure if anyone is still reading, but I took advantage of my vacation to work on the Xterra. I'm supposed to be in Mexico, but my wife was worried we would get stuck there due to the virus. Decided to to spend a few hours under the truck.

Transfer case is bolted up and torqued down. Electronic connections are in place as well are breathers. Transmission electronics are connected as well as fluid lines and shifter. I didn't torque down the dipstick/fill tube as I may have to move it around to put the headers in. Starter heat shield back in place. Intake manifold bracket is bolted up. Intake manifold is torqued back down.

I broke a grease fitting off the u-joint at some point. I replaced the u-joint today and bolted up the front prop shaft. K-member is back in place bolted back up. Good 5 hours under the truck and jacks and blocks are out from under the driveline!
Still reading! I'm followed so what else would I do!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Keep the updates rolling.
:)

·
Registered
271 Posts
DT is telling me that the headers should be shipping 3/27. Hope they'll arrive soon after!
Love my DT’s Didn’t go with the long tubes. What are you going to do to address the CEL from the missing O2 inputs? Post a little audio as well. Would love to hear the difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I have a couple ideas. First thing I may do is to move my O2 bungs behind my secondary cats. If that doesn't work, I'll probalby buy the DT b-pipes and have cats welded in place.

Love my DT’s Didn’t go with the long tubes. What are you going to do to address the CEL from the missing O2 inputs? Post a little audio as well. Would love to hear the difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
It has for sure been more fun. I was a bit disappointed when the trans went out. I have some theories on that and I’ll discuss them later.

Im still a little paranoid that something will be jacked up when I get it all assembled again. I often wish I would have VK swapped it, but I guess that’ll give me something to do in a couple years.

Got a couple small pieces in the mail this weekend. Finding a few more that I’ll need to order as I put more back on the truck.
Nice work Brady. Has it been more fun than frustrating?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Meant to update earlier this week.

Look what showed up on my doorstep on Monday!

Nice ceramic coating:

So, I cleaned up the mating surfaces, installed some OEM gaskets, and decided to try to slide them up in place. Happy to say that they both went right in without a hitch!

I've torqued the driver's side down as of now. I'll get out and torque the passenger's side this afternoon. I got new gaskets for the mid pipes and am hoping to get the exhaust buttoned up and the driveshaft on this afternoon.

I saw the new Z1 billet coolant bleeder and had to have it. Ordered this morning. Should make bleeding the system nice.

I bought new O2 sensors, they're on the way. I cheaped out and got eBay specials as I couldn't see paying as much for OEM as I paid for the truck. I'll at least have a few to play with. Just excited to crank this thing up soon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
So, a little update. I took Friday off. Work has been insane and I needed a day to "rest". I torqued down the headers. Driver's side is definitely more of a straight shot than the passenger's. Picked up new gaskets for the mid-pipes locally. Went ahead and installed my existing O2 sensors to give it a whirl. Installed a few hose clamps and gave the engine bay a once-over.

I decided to pop the battery in place and give it a crank. Started right up! Just let it run for about 5 seconds as I didn't have any coolant or trans fluid in it.

Braved the plague and went back to the store for coolant and Valvoline ATF. Put in a couple quarts of ATF into the trans with the truck running. Went through the gears. I didn't have the driveshaft on at this point. I could see the output shaft spinning. Good sign!

Shut her down and put the driveshaft on. Rear wheels didn't want to turn. Added a little more ATF. I was at about 10 quarts at this point. Rear wheels started to spin with a little more pedal input than I'd like, but I was trying to be confident. I called it a day.

Got up yesterday pretty dang early. Front wheels on temporarily. Got her on the ground. No movement. It's pretty much at the same point it was before I swapped the transmission, which I'm GUESSING means my torque converter is toast. The transmission isn't circulating fluid as far as I can tell. It shows FULL with about 2 quarts in it. Fluid is cold after letting the car run for about 20-30 mins. Drains out cold. Pan is cold. Lines are cold.

Bought a used converter yesterday. Should be here in a week or so. I'm just hoping I can muster the motivation to take it all the way apart again. Not looking forward to that.

So, ended on a rough not. On the plus side, the engine sounds strong and idles well. It got a lot of new tid-bits while it was apart. Plugs, valve cover gaskets, idler/tensioner pulleys, belt, starter, headers, intake gaskets, EGR/PCV hoses, intake boots, filter, radiator, headers, etc. Ran strong in the garage for a couple of 30 minute sessions.

Here's a teaser of the exhaust. Long tubes, stock mid pipes (with stock secondary cats), stock exhaust.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Little update for everyone. Learning a lot here. I figured out what happens if you don't have your torque converter fully seated. Long story short, I've had the transmission in and out again since I last updated with a replacement torque converter. Same issue. I did some troubleshooting and found that I'm not pumping fluid. Period. Watched a video on Youtube with the full disassembly of our auto trans. Pretty easy to see that the pump was the culprit.

So I pulled it BACK out again this morning and found this.

Bell housing off. Bolts out of the pump assembly. At this point you can use a slide hammer to pull it out.

You flip that over and pop out a dozen allen head bolts and find the pump gear assembly.

You can see the gear is split and was wedged in there. The outer gear is cracked, too.

So, replacement on the way. Going to source new o-rings for the outside and replace the seals on the front and back on the unit while I have it out. Hopefully I can have it all back together next weekend! This was probably best case scenario for me. The joys of being a DIYer. Live and learn.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts