Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yessir. Planning on the flush. With 188k on the truck I'm going to do the filter at the same time. My dad picked up the filter for me while I was at work yesterday. He's bringing it over this weekend so I can do a little more on the truck.

Changed out the cabin filters last night. Blech!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Update time. Did some cleaning today while the ribs were cooking. Here we go:

Passenger's carpet before and after:

Rear Seats:

Not perfect, but SO much better. I'll probably pull them back out and do them again in a couple weeks after the truck is running.

So, let's talk transmission. When I bought the truck I immediately inspected the coolant for SMOD and didn't find anything. Great! Truck would run ok for a minute or two and then slip. Plan was to drain the trans, install a new filter, and then do a poor man's flush. Bought the filter and fluid. Started draining today and I have the pan hanging by 2 bolts. While it was draining I decided to pull my codes. Dash is lit up like a tree, btw. TPMS, ABS, SLIP, and of course SES. I was told it had emissions codes but since it was Oklahoma they didn't bother fixing them.

There are codes for the cats, which I'm going to assume are the O2 sensors - p0420, p0430, p0442 and P1446 (evap).

Now we have the big one. P1759. Now I'm thinking I should test the valve body and all while I have it apart instead of wasting $60 in fluid. Wrapped it up for the day and I'm going to do some reading and YouTube hunting before I proceed. I doubt that's going to fix itself with a fluid change.

The fluid, btw, had zero signs of coolant but looked to be original. Very black, but no clumps or material.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
PO420: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0430: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
P0442: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
P1446: NISSAN - EVAP Canister Vent Control Valve Close
P1459 - EVAP Emission Purge Flow Switch Malfunction

Codes pulled from a generic code list.
Some codes may be Nissan specific with a different code definition

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
When possible, run a compression check on your engines cylinders.

Hopefully your problem is O2 sensor specific.
However, when the cats fail on a 4.0 Nissan engine there is a nasty habit of a vacuum sucking particles back into our cylinders. This in turn leads to damage in our cylinders re massive oil usage and loss of compression.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Replace the primary cats. Up to you if you want to do the secondaries; they are unmonitored.

Get those old cats out ASAP. (I wouldn’t run the truck with them still installed.)

I bet one of the wheels has a bad ABS sensor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm almost positive the front pass wheel bearing is bad.

Replace the primary cats. Up to you if you want to do the secondaries; they are unmonitored.

Get those old cats out ASAP. (I wouldn’t run the truck with them still installed.)

I bet one of the wheels has a bad ABS sensor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I didn't have the productive day that I wanted. Pulled the pan to reveal the valve body. Pan and magnets weren't that bad, but they're all cleaned up.

Valve body:

Clean pan:

On the bench:

I was really hoping that I'd open it up to find that the connection to the front brake solenoid was bad. That wasn't the problem here. I still don't find any evidence of coolant, either. I'm contemplating either buying a reman valve body/tcm combo, or just a new TCM and solenoids. I'm leaning towards the TCM and solenoids for half the price, as the whole piece would cost almost as much as the truck, haha.

I'll update when I get something going.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So, I flip flopped a few times, but decided to just order a reman valve body with TCM and solenoids all in one. $590 shipped. I was going to just do the TCM and solenoids, but I'd really be hating myself if I installed it and it didn't get the job done. Hopefully I'll have it by next weekend. Getting anxious to get this thing rolling. Have a lot of things stewing in my head.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So, here's how my day went.

Installed the new valve body (yay).
Cleaned the mating surfaces.
Installed gasket.
Torqued all bolts to spec.
Filled trans with about 6 quarts.
Turned key - no start. Dash shows tans in first.
Realized I didn't hook up the shifter.
Said some choice words.
Drank a beer.
Drained trans.
Removed pan.
Loosened valve body and connected the shifter.
Installed pan.
Filled trans.
Started truck!

Just let it run long enough to shift the truck through all gears in place. After lunch I'm going to do the bypass and flush. Hoping I can make it around the block a couple times this afternoon!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Good news! After a little drama, she goes!

After I got it all back together, I did the radiator bypass. Easy enough to do. Then I decided to flush a little. The pan and valve body have been out for a week, so it had plenty of time to drain. Fluid is looking pretty good. I took it down my alley, then back up my street. Trans slipped and CEL came on. I was super disappointed. I killed it, cleared the codes, and limped it around to my garage again. Then I checked the fluid. I was still pretty low. Added 2 quarts and she's running like a champ! I'm going to try to get about 50 miles on it before I jump on other projects, but I'll probably slip in an oil change tonight or in the morning. Stay tuned for more updates!

My flush showed no signs of SMOD, btw. I checked the PN on the radiator and it's an affected unit. 188k... this X dodged a bullet.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Most excellent news!

It appears Koyo is a rather popular radiator with the Xterra crowd.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm not thrilled about Koyo. I know a few Evo guys that weren't happy with them. My buddy has a Z32TT and it only lasted a couple years. They don't have much of a warranty on them, either. I'll probably go with a CSF. They make a good product.

And I'm really excited. Did about 10 miles around the neighborhoods last night. It's shifting even better. I'll probably flush it again at about 100 miles.

Did an oil change this morning. Oil was nasty and the filter was beyond stuck. Had to hammer a screwdriver through it to get it to twist. Cleaned up the mating surface really well. Went with a Wix filter and Valvoline high mileage synthetic.

Next up is to change the rest of the drivetrain fluids. Hopefully I'll knock that out throughout the week.

Most excellent news!

It appears Koyo is a rather popular radiator with the Xterra crowd.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Tip for a stuck filter

Take a sheet of sandpaper and cut a strip legthwise which is apx 6" wide.

Fold the strip in such a manner that it is now 3" wide with the grit facing outwards on both sides.

Now wrap your filter with the sandpaper and use a strap wrench if you have one. (The gritty side of the sandpaper should be against the filter and the strap wrench band)

The sandpaper will allow the strap wrench to grab very tightly without slippage.

This is my last step before breaking out the long screwdriver and hammer.
It's worth a try to keep away from a mess.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just a quick update. Pulled off a wheel to check the brakes. They're garbage. I bled one and it looked like cold brew. Pads and rotors will be here today. I also ordered front hubs. Unfortunately they won't be here until Monday. I'll probably try to get the rears done this weekend and have the fronts off and ready for new hubs to go one. I'm pretty positive at least one is bad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Rear brakes are done. Waiting for my wife to get home to help me bleed them. Or maybe I'll get impatient and use my Mityvac.

Also got my first "mod" in the mail. I'll install it when I change the rear diff fluid.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Fronts are done! Had 2 guide pins seized up. Randomly the truck came with a spare bracket in the back. Had a good one on it. Cleaned it up and swapped it over. I pulled the other one out and cleaned and lubed it. It wasn't that bad. Going to bleed them after the kids get in bed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Went for a little adventure this morning. I have good news, and I have bad news.

The good news is that I'm rolling on 285/70/17 Falken Rocky Mountains, now. My dad took these off his Titan. Ride was a little rough for him. Fit the truck perfectly.

Had to find somewhere to install used tires. Most chains won't do it anymore:

Now for the bad news. I made it over 60 miles today. Stopped at my dad's to borrow a tool. Started the truck back up and it started slipping again. I had to get him to tow me home. I have a couple ideas, but I'm pretty frustrated.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts