Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a couple people here have the ProComp tires. I'm thinking of getting me a set as my tires could pass for slicks.

Anyone here good/bad things about them?

They have a great deal of buy 3 get 1 free going on right now.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
I find ProComps wear pretty fast. I had the AT's and the Xtrerrains and both seemed to go a little fast for me. Especially the Xterrains.

Another thing is, if you can get a hold of a Off Road Adventures Magazine from maybe four months ago and take a look at the price of the tires then, you will notice that they raise the prices right before they put on the 3 for 1 special.

They suckered me twice but PepBoys had a real 3 for 1 on any tire any brand and I never went back to ProComp again.

Just my two cents though. Others may really like them.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have the Xterrain's on my Jeep. They are a very soft rubber, so if you drive on the street a lot, don't expect many miles out of them. Same goes for most if not all the ProComp line (I think they all use the same compound).

·
on line
15,651 Posts
KillJoy LosAngeles said:
I find ProComps wear pretty fast. I had the AT's and the Xtrerrains and both seemed to go a little fast for me. Especially the Xterrains.

Another thing is, if you can get a hold of a Off Road Adventures Magazine from maybe four months ago and take a look at the price of the tires then, you will notice that they raise the prices right before they put on the 3 for 1 special.

They suckered me twice but PepBoys had a real 3 for 1 on any tire any brand and I never went back to ProComp again.

I have seen people say that over and over again, but i looked into it, it's not the case, at least not for the place that I buy tires (National Tire and Wheel). ProComp also sold me buy 3 get 1 free back a few months ago at the 4WD Jeep fest, such as great deal I couldn't pass them up. Came out to be like $135 per tire for 35x12.50x15's.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Off Road Adventures is a 4WheelParts magazine. I was referring specifically to that store chain. Sorry for not clarifying. It wasn't till a few years ago that I started seeing ProComps being sold at other stores around here. I normally just link ProComp to 4WheelParts.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, ProComp is 4Wheel parts, but they do sell that at other stores, though, mostly off-road related shops.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
I have Procomp AT's (with the severe weather rating). I like them, they are good in the mud, as goes for the wear of the tires I rotate mine every 5000kms. They are definatley not as aggressive looking like the BFG ATKO, but they are also not as expensive. I havent tried them out in the snow yet, but I got a good deal Buy 3 get 1 free. I would reccommend them as long as you keep rotating them every oil change.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Muzikman said:
KillJoy LosAngeles said:

I have seen people say that over and over again, but i looked into it, it's not the case, at least not for the place that I buy tires (National Tire and Wheel). ProComp also sold me buy 3 get 1 free back a few months ago at the 4WD Jeep fest, such as great deal I couldn't pass them up. Came out to be like $135 per tire for 35x12.50x15's.
Actually, if you read the fine print, they want you to pay retail/MSRP to get the buy 3, get 1 free deal. So while it looks like they are raising the prices (that is what I thought, too), they are actually just not discounting them at all. Probably still a better deal than buying a set at their standard discounted rate, but there are plenty of better tires out there, IMO.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, this is why I asked.

Back to more digging I guess.

My problem is I only drive 13 miles round trip to work and back. So I don't need a tire that's going to last me 60,000 miles. I just want a good OR tire that will get me through the muck and won't break the bank. :)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
^^^ Complete crap. I have yet to find one person who has bought them a 2nd time.

If you don't put a lot of miles on the X, Pro Comp is a fine tire for the money.

Also look into the Maxxis, but stay away from the Buckshot mudders.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
For looks and price, the Xterrains arent bad for the amount of travel you need. I think if I am not mistaken that they also have an Xterrain Mud Terrain? That might be some good aggressive tread.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^

The sale is on right now. He mentioned it up in the original post.

·
on line
551 Posts
You might also want to take a look at the Nitto All Terrains: I run them on the Burb and have been very impressed. Someone here runs them on their X and have been equally impressed.
I think I paid $135 each plus tax for the D range 285/75/16 at Discount Tire.
Your mileage sounds like ours: the tires will rot out before wearing out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts