Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Mickey Thompson Baja Mtz's and I love the look and I love the ride and they are great offroad. The problem is this the gas mileage is killing me. i am only getting 300kms per tank. So I have decide to invest in a set of procomp allterrain because I hear they are comparable to BFG ATKO's and right now the buy3 get 1 free is somewhat more appealing financially.
So my question is this I want to increase the size to 285's but I dont know weather to get 285/75/16's or 285/70/16...sorry if this seems to be a noob question.
Now I did read some posts about tire size and how 285/75/16's are meant to be on a 7.5 inch rim,but it also said in some posts that procomp reccomends 7.0-9.0 inch rims for the 75 size...
I dont even know if procomp sells 285/70/16 as a tire but I know they have a 285/75/16 tire.
So does anyone have the procomp allterrain in a 285/75/16 or 285/70/16 and how are they so far?
thanks
miles

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If mileage is killing you and that is the reason you are getting new tires, I wouldn't go larger. You will most likely get worse mileage than you are currently.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
muzikman said:
If mileage is killing you and that is the reason you are getting new tires, I wouldn't go larger. You will most likely get worse mileage than you are currently.
So going from an MT to an AT but one size bigger will not increase my mileage at all what so ever?
I was always told that an AT will give you better mileage....

·
on line
67 Posts
Buy 3 get 1 free is a hoax.....they raise the price before the sale

·
on line
1,716 Posts
miles said:
...i am only getting 300kms per tank.
Is my math correct 300km=186.41miles? I think that you may have something wrong with the X. Thats around 8-9 mpg I dont think that your tires would contribute to that drastic on a mileage drop.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Depending on what you call a "tank" that could be right. When I fill up I usually put in about 17 gallons and I get about 200 miles (I average about 12mpg).

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
muzikman said:
Depending on what you call a "tank" that could be right. When I fill up I usually put in about 17 gallons and I get about 200 miles (I average about 12mpg).
Thats no higway driving...only in city...plus I have lights on my roof rack and its winter....I just had the X serviced so everything was checked...
What do you guys think could be wrong?

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I decided to go with the Procomp Allterrains...I got them for $180 Canadian dollas per tire....so $540.00 for 4 tires... I think thats a great deal... I will post pics of those tires in the comming days...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
miles said:
muzikman said:
Thats no higway driving...only in city...plus I have lights on my roof rack and its winter....I just had the X serviced so everything was checked...
What do you guys think could be wrong?
I would first calculate out your MPG for 3 or 4 fill-ups before you decide if anything is wrong.

Just get a receipt each time you get gas and write your milelage on the back. After each fill up, calculate how many miles you have traveled since the last fill-up. Divide that by the amount of gas you put in the tank. That will give you an exact MPG. If you have stock tire size then everything is pretty accurate. If you upsized your tires, then you have to take that into account.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks I will do that...I have already noticed a difference in my fuel consumption over the past 3 days...I might just get over 300 kms per tank this time, but what a difference in ride quality...its so much smoother and quiet, but I miss the look of the MTZ's...I guess they will go on when I go offroading....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts