Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed my cobra CB Radio. Pics will follow once I get it working.
I have a SWR meter hooked up to it but it is not reading anything at all. The first step should have the needle in the SET position. It doesn't even budge.
I think it may be my ground? So i have been playing with the ground wire - or what I assume is the ground wire. Still no reading with the SWR meter. I can here some truckers talking back and forth on the radio though.

Here is a picsture of the wires at the end of the antenna. I assume that the black wire with the copper color braided wire is the ground. And the white wire is the for the signal. I first had it mounted to the small screw on the left side of the mount. Didn't work.
Can some one tell me axactly how I should have these two wires hooked up to the mount?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If it's a ground problem the SWR usually spikes.

Are those all the pieces you have? If so, I think you are missing some.

You need to isolate the antenna from the ground. The bolt through the bracket needs to be isolated from the bracket. That is what the nylon washers are for. The ground on the coax (the ring terminal) needs to be grounded to the mount. The other terminal on the coax needs to be contacting the bolt. There should be not continuity between the bolt and the bracket.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had it hooked up right. The pics above are after I disconnected everything.
I got some better instructions for the SWR meter online. I have a 1.2 - 1.5 on all channels.

Thanks,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts