·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,155 Posts
I feel an unnecessary need to add this:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Since you’ve been here so long, remember when they did the software upgrade and accidentally made their private forum public for about a week? I know talking about it is verboten but let’s not pretend all that didn’t exist. And the warning from the other member that I quoted here is often repeated by others, because they all have seen it too.

My original account was banned for equally trivial reasons, inconsistent with the site’s published policies. The corporate owners offered to restore my account after acknowledging no rule was broken, but I opted instead (with the blessing of VerticalScope) to just make an account for the sole purpose of being able to quickly reply to for sale listings. But seeing yet another person participating in the “you have to take crap from Mr Bills but you’re not allowed to reply in kind” warnings, I felt compelled to call out the complicity.
Yes, I remember well that on the old site apparently there was a private area where certain members were invited to come, and apparently would talk smack about other people on the forum. I was not part of said group. So yes, it was petty to have a private room to talk smack about other members - but it was in fact a private room so who cares. Perhaps they talked smack about me - I don't know I never saw it when it was published. Grow some skin - who cares.

A bunch of members left because their embarrassing comments were made public. Oh well, maybe a lesson from them. Never write anything on the internet you wouldn't say to someone's face.

A bunch of others left because there feelings were hurt. Unfortunate - but maybe it helped them toughen up.

I still don't understand how all of this makes any difference to a mod that made a smart @$$ comment to a forum member that truly left themselves open to it. If you can't handle sarcasm the internet is likely not a good place to hang out. Just saying.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,139 Posts
This is a true statement. The question is - why are you and others okay with that? The moderators and others will sh*t all over somebody, and then if the victim of it says “hey you’re being a d*ck” or simply “your opinion is wrong and I don’t like it” the moderators will — instead of following the published rules of their corporate owners —ban that person for daring to speak up instead of kissing the rings like so many others.
To answer your question, I really don't know the forum backstory or really care about your issues getting banned. I never said I was ok with anything as far as taking or giving crap from anyone, I was just trying to give the 20 year old a little advice from someone a little older about chest thumping with the moderators on any forum. I think you read too much into my comment.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I'm just curious, what's with the part about listing the serial number?
Are you just making sure that if its stolen people know it was yours?

I know a full-size jack like that is useful, it just goes against the method that most of us take... self sufficiency. So then combined with the cheaper (& better for our situation) alternatives, it'll be frowned upon.
In a group setting, you can all trade off 'awkward' things that most wouldn't take alone and then you're all more prepared. Split up the big heavy stuff into different rigs, and you're all better off, without any real sacrifice. Look at the X overland guys for an EXTREME case of it... but I just mean, Truck 1 - big jack, Truck 2 - full size cooler/fridge, truck 3 - large tent/canopy, truck 4 - bulky/heavy REAL tools. You would take all the small versions by yourself (which is what this forum tends to focus on), or you can split with a group and be better off.

Reactions: BRATCAT

·
Registered
2,455 Posts

I know a full-size jack like that is useful, it just goes against the method that most of us take... self sufficiency. So then combined with the cheaper (& better for our situation) alternatives, it'll be frowned upon.
In a group setting, you can all trade off 'awkward' things that most wouldn't take alone and then you're all more prepared. Split up the big heavy stuff into different rigs, and you're all better off, without any real sacrifice. Look at the X overland guys for an EXTREME case of it... but I just mean, Truck 1 - big jack, Truck 2 - full size cooler/fridge, truck 3 - large tent/canopy, truck 4 - bulky/heavy REAL tools. You would take all the small versions by yourself (which is what this forum tends to focus on), or you can split with a group and be better off.
My guess is the reason to list the brand, product name, and serial number specifically not once, but 4 times in the original post - was either to move it higher in the index of search engine logs, or the OP is a bot. I can't think of any other reason. I imagine this is why a lot of people are making fun of it.

If you or I were to make such a post we would say "hay, I bought this jack and it works pretty good" and provide a link. But I now also know several people here would smirk at my grammar. I live in South Carolina so I don't get such complaints locally.

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My guess is the reason to list the brand, product name, and serial number specifically not once, but 4 times in the original post - was either to move it higher in the index of search engine logs, or the OP is a bot. I can't think of any other reason. I imagine this is why a lot of people are making fun of it.

If you or I were to make such a post we would say "hay, I bought this jack and it works pretty good" and provide a link. But I now also know several people here would smirk at my grammar. I live in South Carolina so I don't get such complaints locally.
You are obviously not aware of the back story.

Best Off Road Jack

Do you Carry more than One Type of Jack?

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

A bottle jack is dangerous. The handle is approximately 18 inches long, thus requiring the user to put his/her body parts underneath the truck when jacking it up in most circumstances. A bottle jack requires approximately eight pumps to raise it one inch, thus exposing the user to a prolonged risk of injury. Also, the surface of the top of the bottle jack is about the size of a quarter.

The Pro Eagle Talon 1.5 Ton Big Wheel Jack – serial # 1F0104-589 has a much wider surface - about the size of a tea cup saucer.

The person whose cv axle broke could not fix it because he could not break the seal of a bolt. He tried every force possible, and his X remained perfectly stable on the Pro Eagle Talon 1.5 Ton Big Wheel Jack – serial # 1F0104-589.

I have no doubt that his X would have fallen over if on a bottle jack.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
This is a true statement. The question is - why are you and others okay with that? The moderators and others will sh*t all over somebody, and then if the victim of it says “hey you’re being a d*ck” or simply “your opinion is wrong and I don’t like it” the moderators will — instead of following the published rules of their corporate owners —ban that person for daring to speak up instead of kissing the rings like so many others.
If this forum is representative of our Country as a whole, we are screwed.

You are the only person to point out that the "Emperor has no clothes"

If people are afraid to speak up because they might be banned from an internet forum, we obviously cannot rely on them to speak up when it really counts.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,155 Posts
Tom, you are the skinny kid on the bayonet range that ran full tilt, screaming like a banshee, into the first dummy. Your rifle stuck like Chuck.

With age comes wisdom. You will learn or burn. It’s that simple. Right now though, a beacon shines for miles.
Might be time to put this to bed and move on.
Gusto I give ya. But too many plates are being broken.
We got the message loud and clear.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Tom, you are the skinny kid on the bayonet range that ran full tilt, screaming like a banshee, into the first dummy. Your rifle stuck like Chuck.

With age comes wisdom. You will learn or burn. It’s that simple. Right now though, a beacon shines for miles.
Might be time to put this to bed and move on.
Gusto I give ya. But too many plates are being broken.
We got the message loud and clear.
Love your euphemisms. However, they are a little too dramatic for an Xterra forum.

That said, I think your intentions are sincere. However, I will be me and you be you.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Take the L and move on.
What are you talking about? I bought a Pro Eagle Talon 1.5 Ton Big Wheel Jack – serial # 1F0104-589 which I am very happy with. If for some reason that bothers you, you need to take the L and move on. What's next? Will you now try to dictate which deodorant I should use?

I think you need to spend less time thinking about what I can do better, and spend more time thinking about what YOU can do better.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
The Pro Eagle Talon 1.5 Ton Big Wheel Jack – serial # 1F0104-589 has a much wider surface - about the size of a tea cup saucer.
Do the other serial numbers come with a similar size surface?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Do the other serial numbers come with a similar size surface?
I don't know because I only bought one Pro Eagle Talon 1.5 Ton Big Wheel Jack. You should contact the manufacturer if you have any concerns.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Why? Where on the CV shaft was the break?
It was my X. I will say that this jack was a pain to get into place, but it did work. Bottle jack would have worked just as well. Was approximately 30° hill, loose football rocks. 90°, direct sun. Miserable. Outer CV broke. I used my big boy impact when I installed and apparently ugga'd the living hell out of the bolts. I only had my mid torque impact and they wouldn't budge with the extensions needed to get to them, so I just pulled the inner joint out to get off the trail. Came right apart when I was on flat ground and able to pull the shock to get on with no extension

TL;DR: loose steep hill, too many ugga duggas. Jack worked, but not something I'll be spending money on anytime soon

·
Super Moderator
4,532 Posts
It was my X. I will say that this jack was a pain to get into place, but it did work. Bottle jack would have worked just as well. . . .

. . . not something I'll be spending money on anytime soon
For only $670 the same company will sell you one of these, a bottle jack on steroids:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
For only $670 the same company will sell you one of these, a bottle jack on steroids:

You would think for that money tehy could include a 2x8 with it? I suppose the baby blue pelican case is worth 760 by itself :(

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,139 Posts
It was my X. I will say that this jack was a pain to get into place, but it did work. Bottle jack would have worked just as well. Was approximately 30° hill, loose football rocks. 90°, direct sun. Miserable. Outer CV broke. I used my big boy impact when I installed and apparently ugga'd the living hell out of the bolts. I only had my mid torque impact and they wouldn't budge with the extensions needed to get to them, so I just pulled the inner joint out to get off the trail. Came right apart when I was on flat ground and able to pull the shock to get on with no extension

TL;DR: loose steep hill, too many ugga duggas. Jack worked, but not something I'll be spending money on anytime soon
Wow, I nice, honest, unbiased review. Thanks for that and glad you got off the trail safely.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts