Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who are interested, 4WheelParts stores and 4WheelParts.com is having it's semi annual buy 3 get 1 free on all ProComp tires.

:violent2:

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I forget who pointed this out a while back, but it is a scam. They jack up the price of their tires before the sale, so you are getting a slight discount, but nowhere near 3 for the cost of 4. I didn't believe it until I looked at a couple 4wheelparts ads a few months apart, and sure enough, the prices were higher during the sale.

The new Xtreme MT looks sick, though! http://www.procomptires.com/xtrememudterrain.html

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They definitely do raise the price on the tires right before the promotion. I personally have had many bad experiences with the store but it is mostly the personnel that suck.

I think if you do the math though you still might find a little bit of saving compared to getting 4 tires of another brand.

I am checking out getting 4 BFG All Terrain KO's but the ProComp Mud Terrain's come out about 50 or 80 bucks cheaper for the set.

I just wanted to throw it out there though in case people were interested.

·
on line
807 Posts
I have also noticed that they jack up the cost per tire.
Also, I think I have yet to hear a positive comment about the employees or customer service at 4WP.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Umm, you sure about that? That deal is through Pro-Comp not just 4WheelParts (I know, they are the same company). But you can buy Pro Comp tires other places with the same deal. So even if 4Wheel Parts does jack the price up, other places I know do not.

Try National Tire and Wheel
http://www.natltire.com/

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Well, I don't know if other places do the price trick, too, but I have seen it myself in the 4wp ads. I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself first hand, but comparing two of their mags a few months apart, one with the 3 for 4 deal, sure enough... prices were higher in the one.

SoCal- You may want to consider your two options again. Yes, the MTs probably are a bit cheaper, but the ATs will last at least 50% longer I bet. Plus, stronger side walls (I believe the regular PC MT is only 2-ply while the BFG AT is 3-ply... probably depends on the load range, though) and better street manners have to be worth at least the additional $100. I'd love a set of some kind of MT's for the X, but unless I stumble on a set of spare wheels, I'm sticking to AT's on the daily driver.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you. I will have to do some research and check it out. I will keep you guys posted.

I also checked the link to the website but when adding up shipping it costs almost the same.

Anyone know of any nationwide place that deals with ProComp. I all ready tried Discount Tire Centers, American Tire Depot and Costco.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
4 Wheel Parts has its downsides, but one thing to keep in mind: you can go in and bargain with them, big time. They have room to move, especially if you've bought your hi-lift jack, compressor, trail books or whatever else there. On thing that's helped me at my store in Compton CA is to go in with prices from mags, or off the web. Trust me, they want your business and are willing to be "flexible" to keep it.

And I agree, the new Xtreme Mud Terrains look great.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
I had a set of ProComp MT's on my last truck and I must say that they were great. I've run BFG's in lots of shapes and flavors, and prefer the ProComp MT's over the BFG's. I know this is not a popular belief in some circles, but I'll stick to it.
They wore very well, had better than normal MT behavior on the street, were relatively quiet, balanced well and loved snow and mud. Really blew a couple of full-size GM owners away when they were on the receiving end of a tow strap, and I could pop them out while I was in the same slop with my Ranger. I have a hard time believing it myself.
Linky

Linky

I ordered mine over the phone, and got a good deal. With those guys, everything is negotiable.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Are you going with the same ones, or the new Xtremes? My local shop isn't yet offering the Xtreme MTs in our sizes, just stuff in the 37" range.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Sorry, I had ordered them on my last truck. A few years ago. Gone now. Just put Nitto Terra Grapplers on my X.
In 4wheel parts wholesalers new ad they have 265 and 285 75R16's in the Xtreme MT. Tell your local shop that your just going to order what you need if they can't find a way to get them. When I ordered mine, they threw in free shipping(I had rims, tires, lightbar, lights, switches, shocks boots, etc on that order, that may have helped with the free shipping.)
I would be interested in that tire myself, putting in a lift first and getting another set of rims are my first priorities. Having never seen the Xtreme MT firsthand, I can only guess they'd be alright.
Good Luck!!!

·
on line
830 Posts
Here is a positive thing to say about 4 wheel parts employees and customer service in Austin. When I ordered my exhuast they were going by the gibson catalog which showed it for 2000-2005. They sent me a first gen. The second gen was much more expesnive but because he made a mistake he ate the cost and i only payed what i had payed for the 1st gen one. Also when i went in there to order stuff for my jeep I wold them how much i could spend. My 3.5 inch lift, front extended brake lines, u bolts, shocks, shock boots, 4 bfg at kos, 4 soft 8 style wheels, mounting balance, track bar, shock boots and steering stabilizer for 1700 bucks. I have had nothing but good expereinces at the 4WP in austin.

·
on line
527 Posts
I have a set of pro comp mud terrains on my truck right now I can get a pic this weekend when I get the raer lift on. I love them so far. They do great in snow and rain and ill find out how well they are in mud in 2 weeks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts