Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new guy here. Been lurking for a bit trying to decide which mod to start with and I am looking at a modest lift. I've searched but didn't see an answer to the question I have.

I want the lift for appearance and occasional off roading, and I plan on towing a boat next summer. This is my dd so I do not want any driveline vibes or coil bucket contact. For these reasons I like the complete ome lift with Dakar springs.

My question is, how much of an improvement would this be over the stock setup on my 2011 pro-4x? Is there any other setup that I should consider? I'm a little hesitant to buy a $1,200 lift just for a 1.5" lift if there are not any other gains over the pro-4x setup.

Thanks for the help.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am speaking from personal experience, buy the lift and never look back. It is a huge improvement over the stock suspension and while it is only 1.5 inches it rides extremely smooth, and is a lot sturdier and better for towing. I did the OME shocks and springs and the leaf packs. Best decision ever. I believe Nisstec sells a kit and its the way to go. A friend of mine on this forum, ryandavenport, also has this lift and can support my opinion. Heck we can even install it for you if you come to my house in GA. We have gotten pretty familiar with them since we've installed them several times on people's trucks. Take the plunge!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
534 Posts
I definitely agree with Matt with the improvements. I'll be looking into it myself in the next few months, but keep looking, cuz depending on what you want if you just want a visual lift and except no difference in performance I lifted mine 2" for $160. Went to the for sale section and found rear shackles for $60, and went to ebay and found 2" over coil spacers for $100. I wouldnt say permanent for me but for a temp lift setup you cant get much cheaper than that.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm going to slightly disagree with what's posted above and say that the factory Pro-4X Nissan/Bilstein front coilovers are just about as good as any aftermarket one's out there (at least the RadFlo's IMO). They did a really good job with these right from the factory - you just don't get the adjustability of course. If I were to do it again, I'd probably just put a 1.5 or 2 inch spacer on that coilover, then use the money saved for a better rear setup like the OME where the difference would be more apparent.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Grumpy moose, While we're on this subject for matt, noones been able to confirm if the pro-4x coil/springs are a good inch taller than s or x models. Just a rumor I heard. Can you confirm? If so then even I would go with that! that and a spacer then yeah!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Grumpy moose, While we're on this subject for matt, noones been able to confirm if the pro-4x coil/springs are a good inch taller than s or x models. Just a rumor I heard. Can you confirm? If so then even I would go with that! that and a spacer then yeah!!
I can't confirm that. According to the service manual, the P4X should sit about 1/2" taller than the other two models - so we could assume that is from the coil. But if anything mine was sitting a tad lower than spec when I bought it and I've been unable to figure out why. And as I posted in another thread, I've noticed at least a 1" random variablity in suspension heights between Xterras, even new ones on the dealer's lot. So it seems trying to figure an inch here or there just gets lost in the noise. :dontknow:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm going to slightly disagree with what's posted above and say that the factory Pro-4X Nissan/Bilstein front coilovers are just about as good as any aftermarket one's out there (at least the RadFlo's IMO). They did a really good job with these right from the factory - you just don't get the adjustability of course. If I were to do it again, I'd probably just put a 1.5 or 2 inch spacer on that coilover, then use the money saved for a better rear setup like the OME where the difference would be more apparent.
The problem with doing a spacer on those is that speed bumps will be your worst enemy. I did a spacer on top of mine first and got tired of hitting the cool bucket every day so I switched to the OME and it wasn't anywhere near as bad. It only made contact when at full droop, which for a daily driver shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the replies everyone.

i like the idea of leaving my front coils and adding a spacer but i really don't want coil bucket contact...i guess i could do new UCA's and a spacer in the front, and OME in the back, but then i'd be close to the price of the complete OME kit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
thanks for the replies everyone.

i like the idea of leaving my front coils and adding a spacer but i really don't want coil bucket contact...i guess i could do new UCA's and a spacer in the front, and OME in the back, but then i'd be close to the price of the complete OME kit.
The only reason I'm being somewhat persistent with this is I have tried every configuration that has been discussed in this thread and I can confidently tell you that the OME front and rear set up will be perfect for your needs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks matt, good enough for me. i was leaning that way anyway and i like the idea of a complete rather than putting something together that may or may not work.

where did you get your kit? the best price that I can find is at www.rocky-road.com $1,099 for the heavy duty kit with shackles. Nisstec wants $1,235...

i'm thinking about adding a 2" body lift also just to get a little more height for looks and some 33's down the line without having to do the melt mod. any thoughts on that?

·
on line
1,416 Posts
OR - 265/75X16 versus X&S - 265/70X16. The difference in the radii, which would also be the difference in heights, is 1/2 inch.

Jeff

·
Registered
430 Posts
The problem with doing a spacer on those is that speed bumps will be your worst enemy. I did a spacer on top of mine first and got tired of hitting the cool bucket every day so I switched to the OME and it wasn't anywhere near as bad. It only made contact when at full droop, which for a daily driver shouldn't be a problem.

CBC is a function of how much lift is added, not how it's done. And every truck seems to be a bit different.

·
Registered
430 Posts
thanks matt, good enough for me. i was leaning that way anyway and i like the idea of a complete rather than putting something together that may or may not work.

where did you get your kit? the best price that I can find is at www.rocky-road.com $1,099 for the heavy duty kit with shackles. Nisstec wants $1,235...

i'm thinking about adding a 2" body lift also just to get a little more height for looks and some 33's down the line without having to do the melt mod. any thoughts on that?
Doing a BL to avoid the melt mod is a bit extreme. A better solution is an adjustable UCA which allows moving the tire forwarded using the cam bolts, then setting the Caster with the UCA. It will also make getting correct Camber much easier too.

·
Registered
55 Posts

I agree with Ryan. Nisstec may cost a little more but typically will give you discounts for being a forum member and sometimes have additional specials as Ryan mentioned. The total kit is without a doubt the best solution and you won't regret it. I purchase all of my suspension upgrades from Nisstec, they are great to deal with. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I can't confirm that. According to the service manual, the P4X should sit about 1/2" taller than the other two models - so we could assume that is from the coil. But if anything mine was sitting a tad lower than spec when I bought it and I've been unable to figure out why. And as I posted in another thread, I've noticed at least a 1" random variablity in suspension heights between Xterras, even new ones on the dealer's lot. So it seems trying to figure an inch here or there just gets lost in the noise. :dontknow:
I have been wondering this as well. The height is mostly the tires I believe, but is the spring any different? The parts catalog lists a different spring part for the 4X vs the other models. I too need to replace my saggy springs, but I don't want much if any lift. I would love something like the OME, but the 1.5 inch lift plus the 1/2 inch from going to the 75 series tires is too much for me I think?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've also got the OME coil overs up front and wanted some extra ground clearance. I ended up getting the SPC UCA from PRG and a 2" spacer and added a 2" AAL in the back and man what a difference! I first up graded to 285 tires and then added the lift and went from 9.5" of front skid plate clearance to 12.5". What a difference it has made on the trail. The ride on my OME is great! If you decided down the road you wanted more lift you could certainly add it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts