Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Intro Comments: After about 3 years of wheeling and a bunch of runs the mod bug is in full swing. I have the majority of things that I wanted to get done now its just time to wait and save up for the more expensive mods.

My next major goal is my first stage of a titan swap. I recently picked up an M205 diff and next is finding an m226 and I'm going for either 4.10 or 4.56 gearing and front ARB air locker.

Primer

Make: Nissan
Year: 2008
Model: Xterra
Trim: S (for now)
Color: Midnight Blue

MODS

POWERTRAIN:
PRG motor mounts
Dynomax cat back exhaust
Rear diff breather extension
MOOG front and rear U-Joints
AMSOIL signature series ATF
Mobile1 extended performance synthetic 5w30

ARMOR:
TAG front winch bumper
Insain Fab rear tire carrier
P&P level 3 sliders
BTF c200k diff cover
Custom transmission skid
Hefty transfer case skid
Hefty engine skid
Hefty gas tank skid
Shrockworks Rad Skid
Boulder Ironworks rear shock skids

SUSPENSION AND TIRES:
Pro Comp Pro Runner SS struts w/added snap ring grooves
King off-road 650lb coil springs
Rugged Rocks extended axles
Rugged Rocks 2.5 wheel spacers
Titan SPC UCAs
Wheelers Front Bump Stops
Jersey Parts 2 inch body lift
General Springs KC HD rear leaf springs
ProComp 2 inch AAL
Whiteline leaf spring bushings
PRG shackles
Bilstein 5125 3-4 inch rear shocks
PRG U-bolt flip kit
PRG SS brake lines
Deleted front and rear sway bar's
Revtek 4 degree shims

265/70/16 Cooper AT3s (daily driving tires)
285/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs

ELECTRICAL:
4ft Firestik II
Heavy duty Firestik spring
Cobra 18WX ST II cb radio
Optima yellow top
Torque Pro and BT adapter
Avital remote start
Turn signal, interior dome and reverse LEDs
Sirius starmate 4
Pioneer AHV-X2700bs headunit
JBL F+R 3 way Speakers
LED lighting flush mounted in rear hatch
Bluesea 6 outlet fuse block

RECOVERY GEAR:
ENGO 10k winch with Super winch solenoid box
Master Pull synthetic winch line
Factor 55 Prolink
Warn snatch strap
ARB snatch strap
ARB tree strap
Mile Marker shackles
Rugged Ridge snatch block
Warn aluminum fairlead

MISC:
Raingler headrest grab handles
Raingler roof rack grab handles
Gobi Ladder
McMaster-Carr 175lbs rear hatch struts
HF interior rack
Craftsman tool kit and ammo cases loaded with tons of other assorted tools
ARB tire deflator
Trasharoo in black
Powertank tire repair kit

AWAITING INSTALL:
M205 diff

FUTURE MODS:
Titan swap part 1 is done. Next up is regearing to either 4.56 or 4.10s with air lockers

PHOTOS

As she sits today

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hey... I know that rig. Nice sliders :D Looking forward to seeing it in person again.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, just finished a new LED mod to help with fishing at night and setting up camp. And I dont know of such a thing as too many LEDs I bought 2 small lights from west marine they cost about $12 each and sit almost flush.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Primer's X and the ABS problems get worse

UPS was good to me today I finally decidied its time to upgrade my rusted out exhaust to something a little quieter and help regain some fuel mileage. And the fact that the end the back end of the system fell off leaving Raush Creek and the funny part was I didnt even wheel my truck.

I found the kit on FleaBay for 260.00 shipped so I couldnt resist. I didn't get any shots of it installed yet because I was pressed for time. I didnt bother trying to unbolt the old system after seeing how rusted the bolts were at the cats, so out came my angle grinder to cut the studs off and my drill to knock the rest of the studs out and bolted it up with some stainless hardware. It sounds pretty good and not much drone at highway speed. Ill get some installed shots tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
curious to see how it sounds . Its funny how awful the stock exhaust is with the Y pipe and trash can sized muffler ! Trucks coming along

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im averaging about 17 on the highway, I dont know if it is much of a gain over stock since I was getting 13 with my rusted out thrush muffler and I lost alot of backpressure. It has a good sound a little too quite for me though. Ill have another update in a few weeks when my winch bumper arrives, I cant wait.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Nice... I have thought about this kit a few times. The price is right.

Any news on the abs and steering angle sensor?

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought the steering angle sensor and now im just waiting to buy the rear abs sensor the average price for them is about 180 so now im just waiting till I replenish the X funds

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They sound pretty similar yours might be slightly louder, but not by much we would have to do a side by side to tell. Keep an eye out on ebay I see alot of good deals come up and most with free shipping.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And my ABS problems get worse, after changing out my steering angle sensor and getting it recalibrated and changing out the ABS pump those codes went away and more came up. So I finally gave up and took it to Nissan and after 3 hours of pin testing the techs final verdict is that there is a break in the ABS system wiring and the best way and only way that they will be able to fix it is to change the entire wire harness. Its not the worst thing in the world but it involves taking the body off of the frame to get it done. Sooo given that news and how much in labor alone that's gonna cost Im probably going to trade her out and find a newer model. Im not going for brand new but Ive seen a few PRO-4x's around with low mileage around 19k. Looks like that nightmare of a day at ECXC has come back to haunt me.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I would take it to another dealer and confirm the break is on the main harness. That sounds highly unlikely, any break in the wiring should be where the wires are exposed to the elements.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure each sensor has there own wire running all the way back to the main distribution point. So whichever sensor isn't ohming out correctly, you should be able to run a new wire separately tucked up high in the frame rails or in some other spot.

No reason to remove the body from the frame that sounds absolutely ridiculous and I would be running far away from that dealer. I take it you didn't have to pay for the new steering sensor and ABS pump considering it didn't fix the issue?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Whoa hold the fort .. They said replace the entire body harness ?? I say get all the wiring diagrams for the abs system and a volt meter and start checking continuity for short or open wires in the abs systems if you can . Its prob damaged somewhere along the frame rails . Didnt you say last year you snagged the harness near the body mount up front or something ?

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Didnt you say last year you snagged the harness near the body mount up front or something ?
Yep thats what im thinking what would have caused a break. It might have put enough stress on the wires to break the insulation and or wire in a spot or 2. Given the fact that I also take the X on the beach alot and how bad the road salt was this winter that corrosion got into that spot. This dealerships mentality is that OEM is the only way to go and they won't jerry rig anything to get it to work. Also not to mention my airbag module is burned out also. Im tempted to take it to a regular mechanic and see if they can figure it out but I also don't want to keep shelling out money and still be in the same spot ive been in for the last month. I actually did buy the abs pump and steering angle sensor and replace both with in the last month before taking it to the dealer. One of my buddies manages the STS tire by me and he's been helping me narrow this problem down with the Modis scanner but it seems everytime a code that we get fixed and cleared a new one shows up. I have a feeling even if I do get this fixed that its going to continuously have electrical issues.

·
Registered
988 Posts
If the wire is damaged near the frame rail you will be able to see it. Give it a good wash and inspect every inch with a flashlight. Then splice in a new piece of wire, if you can't see ant damage then you know that the main wiring harness is fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 150 Posts