Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me how much floor jacks and off roading jack would cost and what is the best ones to buy. im going to go wheeling for the first time (yes im a noob) what are some good tips for a stockSE with and a first time wheeler as in what to bring what tools what to exspect you know things like that. im also going with a exsperanced buddy who has a 97 dodge ram with aout 13 inches of lift and other stuff like that. we are going to his farm where he has some easy trails

i will take pics and keep you guys updated as i loose my wheeling verginity :cheers:

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Hmmmm, well for an offroad jack i woud say buy a Hi-Lift... but since you are stock you wont really have any good points to jack the truck up from... so maybe you could get one of those Xjacks that you plug up into your exhaust pipe....

as for floor jacks I would suggest anything capable of lifting 3 tons+ The X weighs about 4400 pounds.... which a three ton jack (6000lbs) would seem more than enough to handle the weight.... Lets just say i would rather be safe than sorry....

As for tools and such... all i would suggest is to get a good tow strap so your buddy can pull you out of any trouble you put yourself into... If you are inexperienced at wheeling I can almost guarantee you that you wont break anything.... You will be way too petrified to do anything too crazy. Just go and have fun.

Good luck.

·
on line
2,070 Posts
Eddo, next year when i'm down in texas.
We need to go to that creek that you got stuck at.
I should have thought about it when i was down there.
Unless its not covered with new housing developments.
Me and the GF will be back down in Febuary or march.
________
MFLB

·
on line
641 Posts
Xkid23 said:
im going to go wheeling for the first time (yes im a noob) what are some good tips for a stockSE
Well, up here, a stock SE has the factory step rails.
If yours has them, remove them. And if you haven't already, remove the splash guards.
However, the biggest tip for a newbie would be - take some time to learn!
Take simple obstacles and conditions, and try them at different speeds, in different gears, and at different angles. Learn what you and your truck can, and can't do, given your level of experience, and your truck's capabilities (when you are driving it).

·
on line
3,262 Posts
BoonDox said:
Eddo, next year when i'm down in texas.
We need to go to that creek that you got stuck at.
I should have thought about it when i was down there.
Unless its not covered with new housing developments.
Me and the GF will be back down in Febuary or march.
Huh, stuck.... who got stuck??? :dontknow: LOL, yeah yeah yeah dont remind me... but yeah that would be great... Now i wont eventry to go through that thing with 35's... but you will be more than able to make it through with 38's+.

Now back to the topic at hand... dpatton gave you some great advise xkid... now go and get wheeling.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
A Hi-Lift jack can still be useful even w/o sliders (for jacking point). If you need to lift a wheel to stack some rocks, wood, other stuff to get some traction to get out of mud, etc., you can use the Lift-Mate http://www.hi-lift.com/products/liftmate.htm and a Off-Road Base http://www.hi-lift.com/products/offroadbase.htm The Hi-Lift can also be used as a come along to winch yourself. Need this stuff, too: http://www.hi-lift.com/products/offroadkit.htm along w/ some chain. Not as good as a motorized winch, but if you're stuck, it may get you free, or at least moved just enough to get going again. The jack can be used for extraction, clamping, and many other jobs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts