Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to replace the ball joint and bolt in the prg upper control arms, I know its not a ball joint and I'm not sure what its called but if you can help me you will know what it is.

The kits on prg website do not come with that funny looking bolt that you attach your spindle with( would love to.know the name of that bolt.

Anyways have any of you replaced it not using prg?

They're shipping to Canada option isn't working even if they had it listed. And I don't get emails or phone calls back

I should be able to find that bolt and pivot somewhere else

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I need to replace the ball joint and bolt in the prg upper control arms, I know its not a ball joint and I'm not sure what its called but if you can help me you will know what it is.

The kits on prg website do not come with that funny looking bolt that you attach your spindle with( would love to.know the name of that bolt.

Anyways have any of you replaced it not using prg?

They're shipping to Canada option isn't working even if they had it listed. And I don't get emails or phone calls back

I should be able to find that bolt and pivot somewhere else

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Are you referring to the teflon coated spherical bearing and the misalignment spacers? Usually the spacers are OK, and you would typically only need to replace the spherical bearing. IIRC, the bearing is a size 16. The bolt is most likely a grade 8 (sae), not sure if those are easy to find in Canada tbough.

Edit: the bearing is made by FK, and it is a uniball spherical bearing. It is a size 16 (1" i.d.), but I don't know the actual part number (there are several depending on the o.d.).
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,446 Posts
It's 7/8". FK Bearing part# WSSX14T.

It's a regular/normal bolt. There is an upper & lower spacer that goes into the bearing. You don't need to replace these, just the bearing.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Maybe they are different for the different size coilovers? I've got the 2.5 Radflos, and my uniball bearings are definitely size 16 (1" I.D.).

I suppose it is possible that the uniballs (when paired with the 2.0 coilovers) are only a size 14 (7/8" I.D.).

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Right, I understand that. My uniball spherical bearing that attaches the UCA to the spindle is a size 16 (1" I.D.). If yours is only a size 14 (7/8" I.D.), and you also have prg ucas, then they must have changed up the bearing size at some point.

I was guessing that maybe PRG started putting 1" bearings in the ucas at the same time that they started offering the larger diameter coilovers (I know that the two are not related at all, but was just guessing).

EDIT: now that I think about it, I have the Titan PRG UCAs, so that is most likely why mine are 16s, while yours are 14s...my bad.

To the OP, sorry for the confusion. Rest assured that there are many vendors that can sell you the appropriate spherical bearing. Personally, I prefer the FK brand.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
4,196 Posts
5 month thread bump.

It appears I may need new spherical bearings in my PRG upper control arms. I'm not positive I'm checking it correctly, but if I put a pry bar between the coil bucket & control arm and lift up, I can easily get about 1/8" of vertical movement between the spindle attachment bolt and the spherical bearing/upper arm assembly. I checked this with the rig just sitting in the garage, not up on jack stands or anything else. (My Haynes manual says it should be up on jack stands and to check for movement by lifting under the lower control arm with a jack.)

I was made aware of this today when I took my rig in for my Firestone Lifetime Alignment. They said they couldn't properly align it until this was fixed. I was skeptical at first, but my pry bar check seems to confirm what they said.

So, how did the FKWSSX14T bearing work out for you guys? I also found this post http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99385&highlight=PRG+ball+joint that seems helpful.
Any extra insight or thoughts would be appreciated. goneMOAB13 2014 is coming up way too quickly and it now appears I need to get this unexpected problem fixed ASAP and I need to get parts ASAP. Getting parts ASAP from PRG usually equals fail, so I'm looking at the Race Ready option. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
988 Posts
I just changed mine out 2 weeks ago, I removed the arms and then while my brother stood on them (I don't have a vise) I hammered out with a mini-sledge and a big socket the old one, same process to install only coat the new bearing in bearing grease. Old one comes out through the bottom, new ones goes in from bottom to the top. Snap ring then locks it in place (You will need snap pliers)

You have the correct part as long as you have Xterra arms, Titan swap uses the 16 or 1" version. I ordered from Summit racing and had it less than a week to Canada.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Just replaced mine tonight.

I called Greg at PRG explained the arms were only 2 years old and that I had "play" in the joint. I paid for the bearings and he paid for 2 day shipping.

Like Hums said, Snap ring off, whack it out, grease it, whack it in and snap ring on. Or just rent a ball joint press.

Sent from my HTC EVO with AutoCrash mobile app.

·
Registered
94 Posts
what a timely thread to be revived.. I currently have the xterra on jacks and need to do this. I have almost everything removed but I can't get the spacer off the bolt. Is this a hammer and force job or is the bottom spacer supposed to screw off the bolt. I don't wanna strip anything but it seems to be that it needs to be hit, not coaxed.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
If you don't have or don't want to buy/rent a press: just throw the new bearings in the freezer overnight, put some anti seize lube on them and tap them back in with a socket. Easy.

Xorro the wssxt14 I referenced in the other thread fits perfect. I don't remember if I went with RaceReady or Summit. Summit was like $27, RR was $30. Shipping was the deciding factor for me, don't remember which total was cheaper (like me!).

·
Registered
94 Posts
thanks! will give it a go later. just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, I can't get the bottom piece off in this picture

1 - 20 of 31 Posts