Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine are dead. Does anyone know the specs for the PRG UCA uniball? Just wondering if I can find them somewhere else. I will be calling Greg, but his reputation has dropped somewhat.

Truck is still driveable because I kept the stock arms in storage and put them back on for now.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Mine are dead. Does anyone know the specs for the PRG UCA uniball? Just wondering if I can find them somewhere else. I will be calling Greg, but his reputation has dropped somewhat. Truck is still driveable because I kept the stock arms in storage and put them back on for now.
Hey there, FYI, I'm not sure abt the size of the uniball, but I just ordered the UCA rebuild kit and new Heim's from Greg last week and got them in 4 days.. Greg was very helpful and I'd order products from him again..

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had great experience with Greg in the past. But looking for some insurance info just in case.

Got a bad vibration last week, found a good amount of play in the uniball, put stock UCA back in. When removed the passenger side uniball had absolutely no liner left. All metal on metal, my squeak is gone though, lol.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Close to 70k miles on them. Always rinsed,washed after wheeling and snow storms(rd salt), then spray lubed. I am not upset with the lifespan. The heim joints are all in good shape still.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, thanks guys!

I'm thinking of just doing the uniballs, the heims on both sides seem to be fine. Plus it will be cheaper.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I found the FK uniballs on Summit for $27ea, not bad. I'm gonna try and get the Heim measurements also, but I will not be doing those yet as mine are still good.

Dan it wasn't bad getting them out of the UCA, we'll see how it goes getting them back in.

·
on line
1,446 Posts
Getting them out is easy, back in was a bit of a head scratcher for me at first. I don't have a press and was too cheap to pay for someone to install them so I came up with my own way.

I ended up using a long bolt, washers, a socket (on the bearing), flat stock (on the bottom of the UCA) and a nut. It worked like a press, as I tightened the nut, the bearing slide into place. It's a tight fit!

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Have heard of a night (or 24hrs) in the freezer - for the inserted part, or heat - for the encompassing part, to help enable a press fit. Dunno if I'd want to try and heat the arm, at the risk of burning off the powder coat, but maybe some time below zero would help the uniball cups seat more easily? All you really need for a press fit to become a slip fit, is a few thousandths more of clearance.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Double checking before I order since my DS uniball is shot, consensus says WSSX14T is the correct bearing (from this thread and others) for the non-TS PRG arms, correct? Getting a little confused since some sites are saying it's 1.625" and others are saying 7/8ths" and here I'm reading 7/8ths. I don't think I need the four that connect to the frame and I'm not liking the $150 or $190 for either of the prg rebuild kits.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Nevermind figured out what that size difference is, inside diameter where the spacers go is 7/8ths and outside of the whole thing is 1.625.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Wow, what really crazy timing that you bumped this 3 year old thread today. I was just searching for PRG uniball part #'s after I found out one of mine was toast this morning while I was rotating my tires. Teflon liner is completely gone. Tons of play and its starting to take a toll on my tire. Time to replace them. They lasted about. 70,000 mi.

I plan on ordering them from Summit at $30/ea http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fkb-wssx14t

Watch the top of the uniball bolt slop around and how much play the tire has:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts