Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So being an overly excitable doofus, I rushed through the install of my PRG UCA and 3" Radflo lift (also because it was about 10 degrees F in my garage). When I got about 80% finished I noticed that I had installed the UCA that was marked "Pass" on the Driver's side and vice versa.

They fit fine but am I going to have alignment and other problems from this little snafu?

Also, I have searched but didn't find much on tuning or adjusting the 3" Radflos. I'm sure Greg dialed them in fine but for future reference I'd like to know for sure how to soften & lower versus raise & stiffen. And do I dare ever mess with the air valve at the bottom of the shock?

Other than that, the X looks awesome. Off to finish installing the Deavers and shackles in the toasty 31 degree driveway.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I don't know this for sure, but I bet your caster is going to be off. If they were inner-changeable I doubt they would be marked Driver/Passenger.

Don't touch the valve on the shock.

Using spanner wrenches loosen or tighten the rings on the shock. Be sure to break them apart and adjust the ring that is closest to the spring first. Lock them back together when you are done. Do each side a little at a time and measure as you go.

·
on line
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kinda what I figured. Mostly wondering because it would be better if could wait for warmer weather. If it's something relatively minor then I'll wait as I don't put that many miles on the X.

They aren't marked on the UCA's per se rather there's some hastily scrawled "Dr" and "Pas" on the plastic saran wrap they come covered in.

·
on line
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That might be easier. lol

Anywho. Greg did call me back yesterday and there is not a huge problem with having the UCA's reversed other than the bump stops are not in the right spot. Sooo, street driving it should all be ok, but I'll definitely swap them out before hitting the trail.

I've driven it around town and everything seems fine. Now I have to do the melt mod, rip off the rear muds and adjust the headlights because everyone is flashing me.

And here's the Things that went wrong list:

1. Put UCA's on wrong side.
2. U-bolts from local shop wouldn't fit. Waiting on new ones.
3. Leaf pack bolt stripped out when I went to reconfigure leaf pack due to not having correct U-bolts.
4. One of the new rims has the wrong bolt pattern. Discovered this as I was putting on the last wheel and had one mighty hissy fit. Fortunately, I ordered a complete spare and it fit.
5. It's going to snow today and I have to wait 3-4 days for parts. Should be good and sloppy by install time.

Not complaining though because I just built out a badass X.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
That's all good, but if you ever need a hand, and don't mind rolling down the mountain, AZXC will most likely be there to help out w/ any mods you may want to try.. You don't have to be a member to get a helping hand from us, just represent when you're out on a trail. (Tread lightly, don't act a fool, etc.) Too many land closures coming our way, and AZ offroaders need to work together.
:)

·
on line
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appreciate the offer Dbax. I'm big on trail etiquette and environmental protection. Nothing peeves me more than trash or some fool tearing up the landscape for no good reason. Plenty of challenging roads out there..no reason to create your own.

I am hoping to do the trail clean up on the 9th.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
BioTerra said:
...because everyone is flashing me.
I don't see this as a problem, I wouldn't mind all the girls flashing me. :cheers:

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Dont worry dude those types of problems happen to everyone... just nobody likes to admit it....

Hell on my first suspension lift (AC coils) I installed the coils on upside down over the shock, and rode around like that for about three days untill i realized what i did! My most recent stupidity blunder was putting the wrong thread patterned lug nuts on my wheels. Which is why one of them kept rolling down the road after my truck came to a stop!!!

Moral of the story..... everyone does silly things because they are soooo excited to mod thier X. You are not alone.

·
on line
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks ST.

lol, I'm not too embarassed about it as I have done a million stupid things to cars over the years. I used to be big into wrenching when I was younger and made every mistake known to man with my 72 Mustang.

Then I had 2 Nissan 2wd pickup trucks over the last 15 years so I never had to do mechanical work..they're damned dependable trucks.

My new X and it's mods represent me getting back into the game as far as working on my vehicle again...so yeah, doofus moves like building the suspension backwards are going to happen. Haven't had any UC/bucket contact with it yet but I will swap them back when I do my axle shims.

Whenever it warms up...it's 8 degrees out right now.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
mcampana was right on about the air valve... Don't Touch!
it will release the gas (usually nitrogen) and your shocks will be mush. If you're dealing with a knowledgable suspension shop they can adjust the pressure (usually increasing it) to allow a more compression damping but that's really only necessary if you see yourself heading to Baja and doing 60mph thru 3' whoops.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts