Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the following lift: radflos w/ TC or PRG UCAs, Bils in the rear w/ Deaver AAL or Alcan springs.

My question is, how durable are the aftermarket UCAs? I know that are strong in the sense that they can take an beating off road, But, what about the thousands of on road miles that I will need to put them through.

Thanks,

J

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Sorry, but that's a dumb question. If you're sure they can take a beating offroad, what exactly do you think you're going to do to them on pavement that'd tweak them?..
Don't answer, I don't really care.

BTW- That's an excellent suspension upgrade for a Gen2.

·
on line
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll answer, but you don't have to read it.

I look at it like the linkage on my dirtbike. It takes a beating on the track and trail, but it would fail if I used it for thousands of miles on road.

I was just wondering if the aftermarket UCAs were made to use off road only, meaning that I would have to rebuild/service them a lot or replace them after a year or two.

·
on line
807 Posts
Your good to go. You may have to replace the uni-ball at some point, but you'd have to replace the stock ball-joint a few times before you'll replace 1 uni-ball.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
just wipe down the uniball every once in a while and maybe hit with a little teflon lube.
Those things are gonna last a loooooong time.

·
on line
238 Posts
Sorry, can't agree with everybody else before me posting here. I think the longevity depends on your environment. If you get regular salt from winter on your roadways I believe these are not going to last as long as a stock joint. I had a '94 Nissan 4x4 pickup and never had to replace the ball joints after 140k miles and 6 years. My friend has heim joints on his jeep and they were toast after 2-3 seasons and he didn't use it that much in the salt either. heims are very similar to the uni-ball here in that they are exposed ball joints with a chromed ball. A stock ball joint is mostly sealed and encased in grease. If you live where the exposed ball won't see salt you are probably good for a very long time.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I suppose Muzik might be able to shed a little light on the issue of heims/uniball lifespan, as a lot of Jeeps have them in there long arm suspensions and he may be more familiar with complaints or comments if he frequents any Jeep forums. But, I too have heard that heims don't last too long under normal driving conditions compared with a ball joint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts