Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did this install. Headache and a half, but its almost over.

Front went in fine. After the install, I got the predictable UCA/Bucket slam. Cut a slit down some 1" heater hose, zip tied it to the UCA, and the slam is replaced by a less irratating "thud."

The second issue with the front is the camber. I have yet to get a proper alignment (I'm getting Cam bolts from Jason tomorrow) but I think the camber is off because the camber is off. Not because of the bushing compression due to the amount of toe in involved with a lift. I got that pretty much right just by a tape measure. The tires are wavy all ready, but I dont know if that would be such a fast result. Perhaps the factory toe sucked.

Rear went in pretty much ok. The bolts with the pin ontop for the axel to sit on stripper putting them on. Got all-thread, a nut, and welded it. Then rounded the bolt with a grinder. That worked.

I called to ask about the bolts you are suspicious of missing. They arent. They are pretty much pointless, and I think he even said the new batch of deaver kits wont even have the tabs for them.

I re-used the U bolts. I slammed the nuts on with 1/2" impact gun. No problems so far. Just went off roading, I'm going to inspect everything to see how it is. If there are any issues, I shall let you know.

I also used no shims per Gregs recommendation. He seemed so confident that it wouldnt be an issue, I decided to trust him. HE is the man who would know, because HE is the man all his customers would complain to. Not everyone who orders a lift kit from Greg writes about it online. There are probably many more people with no issue than there are WITH issues. If he thought they were needed, he'd sell them with the kit just so people like me would stop calling him! Plus, bottom line, there is no shimmy shake vibration.

·
on line
564 Posts
Pics?...oh and what lift did you use on the front?

Rob

·
on line
15,651 Posts
That might be true, but why not sell them with the kit. If the person puts them in it's not going to hurt, but the people who end up needing them have to do the work all over again and go buy new u-bolts.

I personaly would not reuse u-bolts. They are basically designed to destroy themselves when torqued properly. Sure, they might not fail, but they might and when it comes to keeping my rear axle in the back of my vehicle....better safe then sorry.

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No pics. There are all ready a bunch of pics on the topic, mine is especially non-special since I did exactly as Greg suggested.

The front lift was the 2" lift spacer and new bump stop.

The bolts were all still tourqued properly. It wont be a catastrophic failure, if anything they may loosen a few ft-lbs. I'll keep an eye on it to make sure they hold.

·
on line
564 Posts
avizpls said:
The front lift was the 2" lift spacer and new bump stop...
I assume you mean the PRG 2" spacer. Did you get any before and after measurements. The reason I asked for pics and information is because I, like others here, am interested in lifting my X and any bit of current information (or pics) is helpfull.

Rob

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did mean the PRG spacers too, didnt realize I didnt put it in the title.

I did get before and afters parked in the same exact spot. The front raised 2.25" in the air, and the rear is jacked by 2.5".

The air gun is set to about 100ft-lbs. I set the tourque wrench to 90 and it popped before moving the nut on.

·
on line
107 Posts
$0.02

Re-used U bolts can fail - as in the nuts pop the threaded part off...so you have nothing holding the leaf pack to the axle on that U bolt...if happens to one, and you don't notice...the other could go on the freeway, etc....and off goes the axle (And when one goes, the forces applied to the remaining one blow it too...)

This happens sometimes....U bolts are not re-useable.

So, sure, you can get away with it, maybe even more than you won't....but, maybe you won't.

I know one guy with am '06 who asked me this same question about a year ago...I said the same thing then...he took his chances.

A week later, he called me to help him out...the axle came loose when the U bolt failed.

So the problem isnt that they slowly back off a few threads...its that the threaded part snaps off at the nut typically.

Anyway - If I save even one of your asses, this post will have been worth it.

:D

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you want I am picking up a new set from Point Spring some time this week. I can pick you up a set. No idea on cost, but I am sure they will not be expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts