Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, sorry for the noob question but i was wondering how hard it is to make an adjustment on PRG's shackles. I know how i put them on but that was with everything dismantled. Would it just be as easy as taking off the wheels with the rear on jack stands and unbolting the top shackle bolts then using a bottle jack to put the shackle back down? Any help would be appreciated as im trying to see if i can correct the pinion angle by adjusting the shackles. Thanks.

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
xterra3100 said:
Would it just be as easy as taking off the wheels with the rear on jack stands and unbolting the top shackle bolts then using a bottle jack to put the shackle back down?
Yes, that is exactly what you would need to do to change the height on the shackles.

Simple and easy.

Bottle jack does all the work!

·
on line
4,198 Posts
Sorry man, a day late and a buck short I guess. Keep it filed in your noggin for next time though! ;)
I'm also a day late on this, but maybe someone else can benefit. I don't have a bottle jack either, but I found that the stock scissor jack (under the back seats) works passibly well for cranking down those leafs too.

·
on line
1,231 Posts
So I'm about to install a pair of PRG shackles and I'm thinking the weight of the wheels, tires and axle should be enough to pull the whole leaf assembly down enough to clear the new shackles no? My thought is to jack up the rear and place jackstands under the frame. Then, use the floor jack to raise the axle a bit to release the tension on the leaf springs enough to remove the stock shackles, then drop the axle a bit to lower the springs enough to install PRG shackles.

Has anyone tried it this way and not had it work?

·
on line
4,198 Posts
A tie-down strap with a ratchet mechanism on it works great to pull the old shackles off. There was a recent thread on this, but I don't recall exactly where. Maybe in the "How-to" area? I just know it worked very well for me.

·
on line
1,231 Posts
Oh I'm not talking about getting the shackles off, I'm just wondering about getting the back end of the leaf pack low enough to install the PRG shackles.

·
on line
1,231 Posts
Sheesh...I guess I'll have to give in and get one. Crappy part is, I used to have one somewhere....no idea where it went! No HF near me so Pep Boys it is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts