Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not seeing a major difference here. I have read all over the PRG website and see the rear suspension difference in the kit but is there a front end difference? If so what is it and why is the more expensive kit(Advanced) better? Just trying to figure out which would be best for my needs. Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see...yeah I saw the 2 vs 1 leaf, just didn't understand the UCA difference and what made one better than the other. Just trying to compare.

·
on line
2,651 Posts
In regards to the UCA, one is SPC UCA (coilover package) and the other is PRG's based (delux) off the Total Choas design. By the looks of it you get a bushing with the SPC where as the PRG UCA with bearings. Not sure what the SPC ball joint looks like but the PRG UCAs are completely rebuildable. So basically with the delux you get a full rebuildable UCA and more adjustability points 3 vs 1. The SPC can only be adjusted at the ball joint.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks robust57! Now to show even more of my lack of knowledge...what are the advantages to having a rebuildable UCA? Is there a thread or post I havn't been able to find on the subject?

·
on line
2,651 Posts
I am sure you could rebuild the SPC's with new bushings and a replacement ball joint if it came down to it but PRG has the rebuild kit all laid out for you with the delux version. Makes it a no brainer maintenance item.

I bought my PRG UCA used and bought a rebuild kit, so in the long run I paid far less for basically a brand new set of UCA's than new.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Sean's doing a good job here, but I'll chime in with a bit of clarification.

1) Both arms give you added adjustability (over stock), the difference is in how they go about it.

2) The PRG arms (Advanced Package) use heim joints at the frame-side of the arm and uni-balls at the spindles. To adjust camber, you'd thread both heims in or out of the arm; caster you'd move one in and the other out - the arm has to be removed from the frame side mounts to do this. The uniballs are not adjustable, but they are swappable (rebuildable); and they also give more range of motion than a typical ball-joint.

3) The SPC arms use a fixed bushing (like stock) at the frame-side mount, and an adjustable ball-joint at the spindle ... the way that the ball-joint is mounted to the arm, gives it the adjustability in camber (mounting bolt clamps the arm through a slot, there are ribs to reduce the chance of slipping if there's a hard hit that would force the joint), but I don't believe they have adjustability for caster (tried to find the product on SPC's website for verification, but was unsuccessful). The ball-joint is a stock-style booted assembly packed with grease, and I seem to recall someone mentioning it had been re-engineered for more angular travel (than stock), but I could be making that up.

3) Both arms provide added coil-bucket clearance (compared to stock), so that you'll have reduced interference with lift, but the PRG arms keep a droop-stop mounted to the arm ... conceivably you could get a *hair* more droop out of the SPC arms, but you'd be relying on the shock (probably) or either of the spindle ball-joints to limit your travel (bad, if it's the case).

4) You can get the SPC ball-joints from a variety of sources ... I know Nisstec carries them independent of the arms, I would guess PRG can get them too ... I assume they're being made by SPC, and my guess is that they're actually the same ball-joints used on a lot of their arms (pure speculation, though).

·
Registered
430 Posts
but I don't believe they have adjustability for caster (tried to find the product on SPC's website for verification, but was unsuccessful)..
Yes, they are adjustable for caster via the eccentric upper ball mount and an indexed star plate. See the instructions here:

http://www.spcalignment.net/instructions/25540-INS_WEB.pdf

Only downside is that it provides rather large, discrete changes in caster, so they are still relying on cam bolts for fine tuning. On the upside however the adjustment is extremely simple, quick, and repeatable.

The ball-joint is a stock-style booted assembly packed with grease, and I seem to recall someone mentioning it had been re-engineered for more angular travel (than stock), but I could be making that up.
Yes, the ball joint boot has been slimmed down so most shouldn't have an issue with contact unless running with the ball adjustment all the way in (for minimum camber). Even then, it is probably still fine in most cases.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Yes, they are adjustable for caster via the eccentric upper ball mount and an indexed star plate. See the instructions here:

http://www.spcalignment.net/instructions/25540-INS_WEB.pdf

Only downside is that it provides rather large, discrete changes in caster, so they are still relying on cam bolts for fine tuning. On the upside however the adjustment is extremely simple, quick, and repeatable.

Yes, the ball joint boot has been slimmed down so most shouldn't have an issue with contact unless running with the ball adjustment all the way in (for minimum camber). Even then, it is probably still fine in most cases.
Great points of clarification, thanks! To get one more go-'round: my comment about "more angular travel (than stock)" was not as pertains to the ball-joint boot & CBC (coil-bucket contact), but rather to the angle of the spindle to the UCA as it moves through the suspension's range of travel ... can you comment on that?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've been looking at these options as well. I can't find whether both Radflo shocks are the extended versions on both packages or not...

Coilover pkg: "Kit starts with our PRG specific Radlo coilovers". (Yes, that's a typo on his page - lol)

Advanced Coilover pkg: "This kit offers the same great ride and performance of the basic kit, but offers more wheel travel and/or height (up to 3.0" of front lift) by using longer travel PRG Radflo 2.0 coilovers".

I know there is a Basic Kit and the Advanced Kit references it, but it doesn't say whether the SPC arm Coilover Package uses the extended Radflo's or not. I would think it does. Does someone know this or maybe we'd have to ask Greg???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Skibum315 and grumpy moose: THANK YOU!!! Very helpful information. That is exactly what I was looking for. Still can't decide on which one(lol), but I'll probably end up just spending the extra $200+/- for the "better"(?) UCA kit. It does sound like somewhat of a pain to adjust it though after its been installed.

Rocknhd: Some one correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe what they mean by "basic kit" is the "4WD basic coilover package" with the coilovers and shackles. That coilover looks like it has a spacer on/with it whereas the advanced and non advanced kit uses the same coilover that does NOT have the spacer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
just a couple of things that may or may not be relevant/accurate...i've heard that the PRG uca's can be noticeably more noisy than stock because of the heim joints that are used in place of bushings. i've also heard that the uniballs are prone to early failure if they are frequently exposed to salt due to the lack of a protective boot like a regular ball joint has. just stuff i've read while deciding what lift to get myself. i have no personal experience with either so hopefully someone in the know will comment.

i think it comes down to your application. if this is your daily driver and you have a rig with a modest lift that you intend to wheel occasionally, it doesn't seem like the extra money is worth it for the more expensive arms. you could take that $200 and put it towards a new rear leaf pack like the OME Dakar. IMHO you'd get more out of that vs an AAL than you would out of the nicer uca's.

just my .02

·
Registered
430 Posts
To get one more go-'round: my comment about "more angular travel (than stock)" was not as pertains to the ball-joint boot & CBC (coil-bucket contact), but rather to the angle of the spindle to the UCA as it moves through the suspension's range of travel ... can you comment on that?
I can't raelly tell for sure. I looks like the ball joint on the SPC arm should provide more angular range of motion over the stock. But that's just my untrained opinion. I didn't take any hard measurements.

·
Registered
430 Posts
..i've also heard that the uniballs are prone to early failure if they are frequently exposed to salt due to the lack of a protective boot like a regular ball joint has.
Personally, I can't see how anyone could even seriously consider an exposed mechanical joint like that over a sealed, permanently greased ball joint - at all. Particularly given the application. But i guess that's just me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Grumpy Moose;11608sa65 said:
Personally, I can't see how anyone could even seriously consider an exposed mechanical joint like that over a sealed, permanently greased ball joint - at all. Particularly given the application. But i guess that's just me.
Same here...I get it for an off road only application where the aforementioned points in the con column are less of a concern.

OP...I've been thinking about this for awhile too and i think I've settled on this nisstec radflo extended travel ultimate kit with the ome Dakar 2.5" pack in the back.

http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58998&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I have run the PRG Advanced kit for 4 years and my UCA's are fine. They need to be cleaned and lubed a bit more often, but I just take care of them when I change the oil. I may redo them this year though....

·
on line
2,651 Posts
I decided that exposed ball joint was fine for where I live, dry conditions, no salted roads. I've had PRG's UCA's on for about 2 years with 30k or so on the clock. I too though I would be a noisy over time, so when I put them on I shot them with some wd40. Never have done anything else with them and I am noise free. And noises bother me which is why I installed hood clips on my hood, that ****** doesn't make a squeak now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts