Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I took the first step in piecing together a 5" lift kit when I called Greg at PRG today. Somebody beat me to the punch on this one, and already ordered front Radflo coilovers (internal res) to replace the spacer in the Calmini kit. I ordered up the same shocks with different springs (Eibach instead of Kings, like the other guy ordered). Looks like they will be built next week.

I called up Calmini and asked if I could order the Xterra kit without the front spacers and rear shocks. They told me that I could order the kit without their "Calmini" brand rear shocks and they'd knock $100 off the price. I haven't ordered the kit yet, but that looks like the route I'll go.

As a result, Greg is going to order up some radflo's for the rear as well. I went the cheaper route, but it appears that you can get external resevoirs for the rear if you want them. Greg can also set you up with some Bilsteins if you so desire.

He said that he was able to cut me a bit of discount because I'm only one state away and the shipping will be less, but all four shocks will run $1120.

I have also given some thought to just ordering up the Frontier lift kit from Calmini and getting the leaf packs from someone else. You can still get the no-rear-shocks option with the Fronty kit.

By the way. People have said this before... but Greg at PRG is a really cool guy to deal with. He seems to know his stuff. I questioned him about what would be best shock option for the rear end and he could have easily upsold me on the external resevoir versions, but he didn't. I would gladly do business with this guy again.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
OregonX said:
He said that he was able to cut me a bit of discount because I'm only one state away and the shipping will be less, but all four shocks will run $1120.
$1120 for 4 shocks?! Is there a fainting emoticon?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I was thinking about doing this but since I already have the 3" Radflo's, i was going to add a spacer to the top. Do you guys think that will work?

Also you commented about the buying the frontier lift. Is it not on back order like the Xterra lift? Why would you buy the frontier lift rather than the X?

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S_e_X-Terra said:
I was thinking about doing this but since I already have the 3" Radflo's, i was going to add a spacer to the top. Do you guys think that will work?

Also you commented about the buying the frontier lift. Is it not on back order like the Xterra lift? Why would you buy the frontier lift rather than the X?
Don't see why the spacer wouldn't work.

I made the comment about buying the frontier lift because it's essentially the X lift (all the same parts) without the leaf springs, which you don't seem to need. I think you could get the Fronty lift without their rear shocks for $1195.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Oregon, that is a great price on all 4 Radflo's... the rears are like 300 a piece normally.

Eddo, do it... you already have the alcan's so just get the frontier lift.
The spacer would work on the radflo but sucks to have do that to such a nice shock.

·
on line
2,070 Posts
I guess it the question...
Do you care for your cv axles...
I've seen the cv angles i put my
2000 at and its nothing close to the 05.
So i say they can take it.

________
Ipod Games

·
on line
123 Posts
So what from the calmini kit will you end up using? The spindle and the x member?

Calmini would be smart to start selling the parts by themselves too.

I wonder if the TC UCA's would work with the Calmini kit.... hrmphh

·
on line
131 Posts
The spindles crossmembers braces and related hardware are all I would use also but they told me they will not separate the kit as of yet. I see no reason that the TC UCA's won't work. I hope they will since I have a set coming from 05XOR.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Very interesting. Are the radflows in the front going to be any longer to make up for the calmini spacer? Ie a different spec then the 3".

You guys are crazy!

·
on line
2,938 Posts
OregonX said:
Yeah. They're going to be about 5 inches longer to do away with the spacer alltogether.
Those will look SICK!!!! and most likely preform GREAT!!

Awesome! Good Luck!

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kokopop said:
OregonX said:
Yeah. They're going to be about 5 inches longer to do away with the spacer alltogether.
Those will look SICK!!!! and most likely preform GREAT!!

Awesome! Good Luck!
The fronts are supposed to be machined by Radflo this week. It's a 2 inch shock body. According to Greg, they're also upgrading to slightly larger shaft (versus the 3" coilovers) for more strength.

·
on line
12 Posts
Well... I took the first step in piecing together a 5" lift kit when I called Greg at PRG today. Somebody beat me to the punch on this one, and already ordered front Radflo coilovers (internal res) to replace the spacer in the Calmini kit.
I am the guy that ordered those shocks. I talked to Greg this morning and he hopes to ship them out first of next week. He mentioned that another guy from Oregon had called wanting the same shock. I am in Salem. I can't wait to finish my lift with those shocks. It will be nice to be able to adjust the front height up a bit since the back looks a little higher now as it is.

I got my lift on and done yesterday. Went pretty well. Only big thing was the rear shims needed to correct the angle of the rear axle weren't included with my kit. Calmini did however ninja send them out and they were sitting on my front porch this morning having arrived yesterday I guess. Would have been good info to know those were coming though since I had the whole thing ripped apart yesterday. They are going on tonight after work.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trifler said:
Well... I took the first step in piecing together a 5" lift kit when I called Greg at PRG today. Somebody beat me to the punch on this one, and already ordered front Radflo coilovers (internal res) to replace the spacer in the Calmini kit.
I am the guy that ordered those shocks. I talked to Greg this morning and he hopes to ship them out first of next week. He mentioned that another guy from Oregon had called wanting the same shock. I am in Salem. I can't wait to finish my lift with those shocks. It will be nice to be able to adjust the front height up a bit since the back looks a little higher now as it is.

I got my lift on and done yesterday. Went pretty well. Only big thing was the rear shims needed to correct the angle of the rear axle weren't included with my kit. Calmini did however ninja send them out and they were sitting on my front porch this morning having arrived yesterday I guess. Would have been good info to know those were coming though since I had the whole thing ripped apart yesterday. They are going on tonight after work.
Nice. I figured that you had to me a member of this board. Good to see another Oregon boy, as well.

Any chance you can post some pics of your rig?

Calmini told me it would be another "3 to 5 weeks" before the lift ships. Any tips you have to offer before I tear into it (other than making sure all the parts are there)?

·
on line
12 Posts
Here are a couple pics. I don't have my new coil overs yet so the front ended up more than an inch lower than the back. The new coil overs will make it perfect. I didn't have much time so I just snapped a couple in my driveway. Of course it was raining since I finally got around to washing it yesterday. Flame away on the wheels I already know it's coming.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts