Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intro:Long long time lurker here. Never really decided to make an account since i typically play around in more of a euro car setting. But now that i finally decided to dive into the xterra a bit, i thought it was time. I have a 14 pro-4x and it has come time to throw some money at it since i need it to go some more places it cant. I do not partake in climbing anything exactly, but i am an active white water kayaker. 90% of my drop points aren't on trails and i would like some more confidence getting there.... To be honest i would rather not get stranded after 6 hours of fighting rapids lol. I have searched countless threads/articles and reviews. I have seen countless reviews of OME/Radflo/Nisstec etc.
My inquiry The one kit that caught my eye seems to be lacking in the info departments. I am looking at : https://www.prgproducts.com/product-page/xterra-frontier-budget-advanced-3inch-lift . I spoke to Greg for a bit and it seems to be the move for what i am looking for personally. Originally i was looking at just this to be simple : https://www.prgproducts.com/product-page/xterra-5100-saal-mini-lift. Anyone here have experience with that kit personally, or have any reasons to either get or not get it? I am adding a hefty fabworks front and rear steel bumper this summer, after i figure out my debate over wheels 16"/17" (whole different ballgame)

Id have some pictures of the xterra, but its currently in my shop getting some serious TLC. (full panel sanding/compounding/Cquartz Pro/Undercoating. I know its unneeded but its what i do for a living. Thanks for anyone who even reads this, and i look forward to being more involved

Here's a picture of the other daily for now so i didnt waste anyone's time lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
OK, Ill try out doing the noob helping the noob here. Got Greg's 3" Advanced PRG lift with Radflo and SPC uppers. LOVE IT!!! Rides like a dream (for a truck of course). Not exactly the same but close enough for praising Greg on his packages. He won't steer you wrong. I'm sure you've seen enough compliments if you've been lurking long enough. Just beware the MOD MONSTER!!! He's inside each one of us, waiting to strike. Again, and again, and again..... Enjoy the X!!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Keep your summer steel bumper upgrades in mind when you buy your suspension. Just a steel front bumper, or will you also have a winch? Syn or steel line? Factor the weight of those in so you know how heavy of coils to get. Stock coils will sag even with just a steel bumper on there. Will your rear bumper also have a tire carrier? Our OEM leaf packs are pitiful and sag very easily. Yours are fairly new, but the extra weight will make them degrade more quickly. A single AAL won't do much to combat this. Double gets you farther, then some guys add adjustable shackles, helper springs, airbags, or a combo of these to keep the lift where they want it. Sooner or later (usually sooner), the stock packs are shot and you'll be looking at new ones - usually OME or Alcans.

The 5100s are decent, but they're not much of an improvement over your OEM 4600s in design. Yes the adjustability is nice, but it has to be done when the coilover is disassembled and they ride like hell when they're cranked up all the way. Most set them in the middle and add a spacer as well as some UCAs to get the 'best mix' of travel and lift without CBC. Keep it around 2" lift up front. 3" is hard on the CVs at stock width and just not worth it IMHO.

tl;dr - avoid the cheap kit and research what the extra bumper weight will require so you do it right the first time. Buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
321 Posts
First of all, sweet Audi!

I've tried the second lift that you have listed. It's a fine enough kit, but the first one you've listed is going to give you more lift (better approach and departure angles), better shocks in the rear, and a chance at better alignment.
-- you probably know this already.

The second kit will be, of course, nicer- and will allow for more modification/improvement later on.
--

That said, if you're adding a steel front and rear bumper, your ride quality with the selected lifts (which reuse stock spring coils and leaf packs) is going to suffer. At some point you may want to look at aftermarket springs.

You may begin to open the can of worms :).

·
Senior Member / (Q4WC) Club Moderator
411 Posts
Nice wheels there bud.
So, your choices of mods on the X are huge. Like all the folks have already mentioned, consider what it is you looking to end up with and work backwards.
Doing front and rear upgrade at one time is preferable. Take a bit of time to check out rear spring upgrades first before thinking about AAL. There are a lot of threads describing the springs(usually with expletives) and there is a general consensus about Alcan.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 2011 4x that I put the PRG Radflo 2.0 on at 80 miles with 700# springs. I have a Shrockworks bumper with winch and syn line. It now has 68,000 miles and couldn't be happier with the performance and lifespan. Noticing more bottoming in the back lately when carrying weight, with my add a leaf approach back there, so need to address that. Leafs do get "tired" from what I understand.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you are going to leave the rest of the vehicle stock ( no aftermarket bumper, armor, winch, etc) then the Budget advanced lift will serve you very well for what you are wanting to do.

If you are wanting to start getting into more off roading, and start armoring up the truck, then I would save a little longer and look into either Nisstec's MK84 kit ( I have it and love it), or a good radlfo lift package.

If you start modding, or are seriously considering, it pays big time to map out your mods, and figure out the things like spring sizes and leaf packs before you start, it will save you money in the long run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts