Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just browsing the PRG site and saw these:
Has anyone tried them?
According to the description, you can regulate how soft the ride is, easily swap springs and so on. Check the link to see Greg’s full description.

I was thinking to pair these with the rear Emulsion shocks for a great ride on and off road.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
435 Posts
I'm really excited to hear more about them from people using them. Says you can flip the top hat to use as Titan swap coilovers. Not exactly sure how that'll work. Seems like you wouldn't be getting the most travel out of the Titan swap by doing that but Greg clearly knows his shit when it comes to these vehicles. Maybe less travel bit much more cost friendly than radlos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also interested.

To Mastermind46, I think you read the description wrong (call me out if I'm in the wrong).

Struts/coilovers for Xterra/Frontier come in 3 basic flavors:

1: Stock Length- will work with stock or aftermarket Upper Control Arms (UCA's) such as SPC & clones, PRG, Total Chaos, etc. Stock wheel travel.
2: Extended length- greater than stock length, only work with aftermarket UCA's. Greater than stock wheel travel.
3: Titan swap- significantly longer than stock & extended length, only work with a full Titan swap (TS). Greater than stock & extended length wheel travel.

Someone better versed please correct me if I am wrong, but, changing the length on these will change the downtravel giving you more, however, if you used that extended length with stock UCA's you would incur massive (possibly shock-body destroying) coil bucket contact.

Old Travel Thread

These apparently give the option to run with stock UCA's or flip a spacer & get more travel, flavors 1& 2.

I need to replace all bushings & ball joints in the near future & figure I might as well upgrade to SPC's & extended length coils for that extra travel while I'm at it?

These piqued my interest over extended length Radflos due to the extra adjustability (I play with bike & motorcycle oil viscosities to get my desired damping & am a sucker for compression & rebound knobs), aluminum body (which should help heat exchange & foaming), & rebuildability.

If anyone grabs these, talks to Greg, or is just interested, please chime in. It'd be great to keep this alive & get some answers/thoughts...

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
435 Posts
Also interested.

To Mastermind46, I think you read the description wrong (call me out if I'm in the wrong).

Struts/coilovers for Xterra/Frontier come in 3 basic flavors:

1: Stock Length- will work with stock or aftermarket Upper Control Arms (UCA's) such as SPC & clones, PRG, Total Chaos, etc. Stock wheel travel.
2: Extended length- greater than stock length, only work with aftermarket UCA's. Greater than stock wheel travel.
3: Titan swap- significantly longer than stock & extended length, only work with a full Titan swap (TS). Greater than stock & extended length wheel travel.

Someone better versed please correct me if I am wrong, but, changing the length on these will change the downtravel giving you more, however, if you used that extended length with stock UCA's you would incur massive (possibly shock-body destroying) coil bucket contact.

Old Travel Thread

These apparently give the option to run with stock UCA's or flip a spacer & get more travel, flavors 1& 2.

I need to replace all bushings & ball joints in the near future & figure I might as well upgrade to SPC's & extended length coils for that extra travel while I'm at it?

These piqued my interest over extended length Radflos due to the extra adjustability (I play with bike & motorcycle oil viscosities to get my desired damping & am a sucker for compression & rebound knobs), aluminum body (which should help heat exchange & foaming), & rebuildability.

If anyone grabs these, talks to Greg, or is just interested, please chime in. It'd be great to keep this alive & get some answers/thoughts...
No where does it say on PRG website link posted by op that they offer 3 different shock bodies. I could very well be wrong though. I will reach out to Greg as I'm currently waiting on a set of shackles and need to follow up on that order.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
They do not offer THIS in 3 different lengths (but this shock doing 2 at the flip of a puck is pretty trick).

Look at the lengths for Radflo 2.0's on PRG or Nisstec and it'll get clearer, some links below (Greg's faq on the IFP [extended] Radflo link explains most of it):

Nisstec links below are better for quick view, PRG has better explanations.

Stock length Radflo from PRG
Extended Travel Radflo from PRG
Nisstec TS
Nisstec Extended Length
Nisstec Stock Length

Re-reading Greg's IFP FAQ's there is an important point & some info that needs to be corrected on TS from my previous post:

Important point: For extended travel Radflos, PRG states "If you try to run a leveling spacer on these, you will lose lots of wheel travel and have major suspension binding issues...."

Top spacers eat into droop travel to lift the truck. Radflo IFP vs standard length changes the shock length (not sure if shaft & stroke length are changed or just body/overall?) to optimize it so you get maximum compression and droop travel, using the full range while not forcing the shock to become a limiting strap (placing unwanted stress in an axis it was not designed for).

This coilover seems to optimize its length for stock (which wouldn't be able to use the extra length) & aftermarket UCA'S (which can) by flipping the puck on top.

In an old travel post by Greg-Click here for old PrerunnerGreg travel post-it seems this coilover combined with UCA's should give 7.4" of real world wheel travel, an approximate 2" increase over stock. Greg claimed in the same post that any more and you would start binding parts, which is where TS'ing would help, & come in at close to 12" of travel (according to Nisstec).

My TS correction comes from that PRG re-read as well. It seems you CAN run extended coilovers instead of TS specific, but as per the explanation above, the length is not optimal and you will not have full travel (you won't get your full 12 inches, insert joke here).

While I would ask Greg about it, it seems you were correct that these can be used for TS Mastermind46, they just weren't made for it & won't be optimal in that role.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been thinking of these too. I will be adding a bumper and winch soon but will be staying stock height. Seems that there are not many options for staying stock height and heavier coil springs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been thinking of these too. I will be adding a bumper and winch soon but will be staying stock height. Seems that there are not many options for staying stock height and heavier coil springs.
This is definitely an option.

They will need some preload to work so I'd ask how the damping is at stock height.

You may also be able to source springs through one of the major retailers.

What's the reasoning behind maintaining stock height?

Not questioning your motives, but there are a few low-lift options that would work well.

OME HD struts & springs w/ a rear AAL is likely the cheapest & best option to maintain near stock height. They will add 1.5" with better than stock damping & no other alterations (except camber bolts) needed.

·
on line
226 Posts
FWIW, I asked on their FB page recently if they would be offering a full lift kit package with these coilovers. They said yes, and it would be on the site by the end of last week which hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FWIW, I asked on their FB page recently if they would be offering a full lift kit package with these coilovers. They said yes, and it would be on the site by the end of last week which hasn't happened yet.
I just got off the phone with Greg. He said the package is available for sale right now, they just haven’t taken pictures yet. You can call and get them ordered over the phone though.

·
Well then...
612 Posts
Spoke with Greg a few hours ago, I have an invoice in my PayPal inbox for this kit now.

He said he hasn’t gotten around to taking pictures quite yet, but you can call and buy it.

·
on line
226 Posts
I just got off the phone with Greg. He said the package is available for sale right now, they just haven’t taken pictures yet. You can call and get them ordered over the phone though.
Thanks! What was the cost of the full kit? And I'm assuming it came with just the coilovers, UCAs, rear shocks & AALs right?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey, just curious, what setup did you decide on instead of this package?
I went with Bilstein 5100's all around, with Alldogs Off-road lift springs up front, and their full replacement leafs out back. Getting Installed tomorrow, so I'll post up pics when it's done.
When they release their UCA's, I'll probably add them to get my droop travel back.
The Alldogs springs don't achieve lift with crazy stuff spring rates like other do. Stock is 480lbs, and these are 500lbs, and slightly longer.
Found a guy that had them and said it rode incredibly well.
The Alldogs crew is an absolute pleasure to deal with also. Always replies same day, even in Sunday!
:)

·
on line
226 Posts
I went with Bilstein 5100's all around, with Alldogs Off-road lift springs up front, and their full replacement leafs out back. Getting Installed tomorrow, so I'll post up pics when it's done.
When they release their UCA's, I'll probably add them to get my droop travel back.
The Alldogs springs don't achieve lift with crazy stuff spring rates like other do. Stock is 480lbs, and these are 500lbs, and slightly longer.
Found a guy that had them and said it rode incredibly well.
The Alldogs crew is an absolute pleasure to deal with also. Always replies same day, even in Sunday!
:)

I'm glad I asked because I'm looking at the Alldogs springs too! Do you think you'll get a full 2" lift from their springs? I think I'd like to do this same setup as well, with the 5100/Alldogs springs, and when they're available add their UCA and maybe a 1/2" life spacer to get close to 3" lift.

But since their springs are meant to be used on 5100s set at stock height, I'm curious how they would work on the 4600s since the spring rate is close to stock, and it would save some money.

And you went with the 5100, not the 5125 in back? Won't the 5100 rears end up limiting travel and bottoming out with the 2" lift from the leaf pack?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm glad I asked because I'm looking at the Alldogs springs too! Do you think you'll get a full 2" lift from their springs? I think I'd like to do this same setup as well, with the 5100/Alldogs springs, and when they're available add their UCA and maybe a 1/2" life spacer to get close to 3" lift.

But since their springs are meant to be used on 5100s set at stock height, I'm curious how they would work on the 4600s since the spring rate is close to stock, and it would save some money.

And you went with the 5100, not the 5125 in back? Won't the 5100 rears end up limiting travel and bottoming out with the 2" lift from the leaf pack?
It seems the folks I've seen with the springs are getting 2 inches up front with the 5100's, or very close to it.

Out back, I was concerned also with the 5100's and not the extended length versions. I went with the 5100's for three reasons. 1) I'm not a hardcore wheeler, so I'm not going for the utmost travel. 2) Readily available, and I have a specific time frame for the install. 3) They don't require a bushing change like the extended length versions (which would take longer to source)

I think it's gonna look great and accompish everything I want it to. I'll post up a review after it's done.

And my apologies to the OP for taking this off topic, since this is about the new PRG coilovers :)

If it comes up again I will defer to private message or just refer to my review thread of my set up, so this thread doesn't get derailed :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts