Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took some time today to get the AAL and new shocks put on the X today, started around 7am and finished up by 1pm. I had a few hitches on the way.

On tightening down the AAL to the origional equipment I sheared off the supplied long bolt from PRG not to be detered in finishing up today I used a C clamp and tightened it all down and used my origional bolt. Worked like a charm. Made one trip to town for some vice grips, my old ones have dissappeared in the last year, and a 2nd trip on a failed trip for a new bolt.

C clamp holding leafs together for reusing old bolt. I used the other bolt to keep leafs aligned as the C-clamp was comperssing them all together then removed it and put in the old one.

Process worked well on this side I did the same thing on the other side.

Here is the way it sits. Only have lift in rear with front still with factory. Will do full PRG upgrade as $$$ is available. Shows a little rake to the front.

Only have about 20 miles on the highway so far and have not noticed any shake from the rear. I did rotate the tires as I was half way there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I spoke to Greg at PRG yesterday and he said to remove the over-load leaf when installing the single AAL. Is that what you did when you installed yours? He also seemed very confident that I shouldn't get that 35-45 mph vibration with the single AAL. You mentioned you haven’t noticed any vibration with your initial install. Is that still the case? Also, did you install the 3mm shims?

AAL
Xterra 1.5 Inch Lift Single AAL | PRGProducts.Com

Shims
PRG 6061 Billet Xterra 3 Degree Shims | PRGProducts.Com

·
Super Moderator
4,369 Posts
I use the PRG 2-leaf AALs with the 3* shims. The overload leaf isn't used with either the 1-leaf or 2-leaf AAL. I had minor vibrations at 35 mph without the 3* shims. No vibrations with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How was your ride with the 2 leaf setup? I'm not looking to increase ride height per say. I'm only looking to prevent the bottoming out bump stop issue that I'm having. My plan is to add the single AAL with the 3mm shims along with the Bilstein 5100 Moog spring assemblies up front set to 1.5” and Bilstein 5100 in the rear. Greg from PRG says the truck will be completely different with this setup. Better ride quality with less body roll with a slight lift. My only concern is setting the rear up correctly so that the bump stop issue is fully resolved. I don’t want overdue it and get too much lift and decrease ride quality with the 2 leaf AAL setup or not have enough resistance with the single AAL. Thoughts?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am still running with the PRG AAL on the X, 176,000mi on it now and I never noticed any shimmy, I did not put on the shims. I did put on 285s for a few years but went back to stock 265 as I did not like the torque loss on my manual trans, I could really notice a difference starting off.

I did take off the single over-load leaf, ride height was much better and stopped the rear sag, of course I did replace the shocks at the same time, all still good. I keep wanting to replace the front with coil-overs and PRG arms, but $$ is always an issue for me.

That is an old post, last June was 10yr with the most trouble-free vehicle I have ever owned. I can't believe Nissan stopped producing such a fantastic vehicle. Every once in a while I do a search for the best looking 2014-15 one out there, I know someday I will want to replace it, although I do have a CyberTruck on order. ;-)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes get it, I feel it was the best thing I did to my X and it stopped the bottoming out from being so bad, depends on you load and how fast driving over speed bumps. This should have been the factory install on the X

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes get it, I feel it was the best thing I did to my X and it stopped the bottoming out from being so bad, depends on you load and how fast driving over speed bumps. This should have been the factory install on the X
How was it when you put 2 full grown adults in the back? Does the truck stay level? When I'm driving solo the X isn't too bad but as soon as the 2 kids jump in the back i feel it sagging and the bottoming out starts.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Get the AAL and shims so you don't have to do the job twice. Greg told me I wouldn't need them but I had a vibe at 35 MPH. Sucks to have to do the job again to add the shims. If $$ is a concern there are cheaper options than PRG for the shim and 3 degrees is 3 degrees.

After AAL I took mine FULLY loaded with 4 adult backcountry skiers with overnight gear on very rough road to access Mt Adams in WA. It was the first time I was not embarrassed by the suspension! It also corners much better too. Best $$ I've spent on improvements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts