Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Informal poll here - what tire (and size) do you all run and what psi do you use for on-road/hwy driving?

Off the dealer lot, I was really happy with the road ride and handling of the stock tires. When I aired them down a bit for off-road, I realized that they had been at 41 psi. The door label says 35psi, so that's what I aired them back up to. But I have to say, I can notice a difference in handling and they're going back to 40 or so for on-road driving. I wonder if the dealer over-inflated intentionally because it's known to produce a better ride.

On my Bronco, I ran 33" BFG AT's and I found that on-road the best ride and wear was when they were at about 42psi, which according to some was a tad high. Is it just my arse that seems to like the ride of a higher pressure on-road?

·
on line
1,792 Posts
For now I run stock size (265 75 16) BFG ATs. I've tried everything and have settled on 35 or so cold. I like the ride, the grip, the sound--and when I air down (with my Staun deflators) I'm nearer to my goal. Forty plus cold, and the ride's too hard.

When tire shops see the max 65 psi on the tires, they always want to put 50 plus in them, so I've got to watch those guys.

Me, three buddies, and lots of gear is another story, however. I go up accordingly.

·
on line
37 Posts
BFG AT 285/75/R16 running 32 psi (hot) but the damn tpms light is always on. These things grip the pavement like crazy. If I drop the clutch into first it sounds like the tread is going to dig a hole in the road.

·
on line
259 Posts
So I went wheeling yesterday and aired down to 25 psi, which IMHO is a good enough for fire roads and moderate obstacles. Also it absorbs high frequency impacts really well. I was too lazy to airup right after the trail and drove back home (15 miles) at this lower pressure. Very nice ride.

I aired up on the way to work to 37.5 psi (min sensor pressure + 2.5 margin considering the cold wheater coming) and what a difference. I could feel all the irregularities on the pavement and the X was bouncier.

I do like it better at lower psi, but since the stupid pressure sensor goes off (and hurts my milage) I'll keep just over 35.

I don't know why some of you guys are driving around at 50 psi, it doesn't make much sense to me.

:geek: :flower: :faroah: :clown: :bigsmurf: :brilsmurf: :alien:

·
on line
807 Posts
gonecritical said:
I wonder if the dealer over-inflated intentionally because it's known to produce a better ride.
They come from the factory over-inflated so that they wont flat-spot when the trucks are tied down to the transport trailers. The dealers are suposed to bring the pressures back down to spec. during their pre-sale check, but most skip this step.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Rastaman said:
So I went wheeling yesterday and aired down to 25 psi, which IMHO is a good enough for fire roads and moderate obstacles. Also it absorbs high frequency impacts really well. I was too lazy to airup right after the trail and drove back home (15 miles) at this lower pressure. Very nice ride.

I aired up on the way to work to 37.5 psi (min sensor pressure + 2.5 margin considering the cold wheater coming) and what a difference. I could feel all the irregularities on the pavement and the X was bouncier.

I do like it better at lower psi, but since the stupid pressure sensor goes off (and hurts my milage) I'll keep just over 35.

I don't know why some of you guys are driving around at 50 psi, it doesn't make much sense to me.

:geek: :flower: :faroah: :clown: :bigsmurf: :brilsmurf: :alien:
The monitor should only go off below 30psi (or so), you do not need 35psi. These are cold temps, obviously if you have less than 35psi hot temp then you are probably really close to the 30psi cold.

·
on line
14 Posts
Muzikman said:
The monitor should only go off below 30psi (or so), you do not need 35psi.
I've had the thing go off at 32 - 33 in the summer... I also keep it above 35.

·
on line
168 Posts
I have the stock tire on my S and run them at 35 psi cold and check them every week. I now have 42000 miles and they aren't showing the wear marker yet. I'll probably get to 50,000 or more. I also get pretty good mileage with them at 35 cold. I average 20 mpg.

:bounce:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts