Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Just got a lightly used 2007 Xterra S and had a question I haven't seen here yet.

When I have the back windows down and moving about 40 - 45 MPH I get a terrible roaring, rumbling type noise that hurts our eardrums. Anyone come across anything like this or know of anything I can tell the dealer to check?

·
on line
13,467 Posts
I get the same thing dude Ever since i bought it brand new in may of 06.
Im thinking it has somethign to do with the aerodynamics of the truck.........Im sure someone is now going to post about how stupid i am for thinking thats why, and then proceed to tell me the real answe according to them! Feel free!

Anyways.........I found that if i have one front window down and one back im ok, or one front and two rear, still ok. or all the windows down, ok still. But when its just the rear or some other diff combo i get the eardrum beating as well. Kind of a bummer, but im not thinking there is a fix for it.

·
on line
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At first I thought it had something to do with the tires, balance or alignment maybe, cause it does it around 40 MPH. Then I noticed it only did it with the back windows down. So I'm guessing air flow or pressure related. Was just hoping someone knew what it was and had a simple fix for it before my eardrums explode..lol.

·
on line
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I just tried it with the back windows down and the front passenger window down a little....seemed to take care of it. At least I know now it wasn't me..lol

·
on line
400 Posts
open the hatchback and the sound problem is over with... got the perfect ventilation... though the idea of the hatchback window is brought up again.. if there was a back window open there would probably be even less noise

·
on line
1,891 Posts
I've had that happen in last couple of cars ('02 Lancer OZ/ '03 Xterra SE/SC) I'm pretty sure that happens to most cars with the rear windows down. Something to do with pressure I'm sure.

·
on line
99 Posts
we've got an 07 civic si sedan and when one of the rear windows are down it's the same deal, sounds like a helicopter taking off.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Yep, called wing THUMP!!!...

ear hurt, Radio stutters..

Just crack the front windows, it will stop... it's a Vacum effect.

Had the same thing, I asked the same thing. ITs common problem with many cars.

·
on line
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input everyone! I never had a problem with it in any other vehicle I've owned but when I think about it, I either didn't have back windows that went down or I just didn't use them. Cracking the front window does stop it so if my dog wants to stick her head out the back I have to remember to open the front one too..lol

And just remember: A day without sunlight is like night.

·
on line
384 Posts
Yes it is air pressure related just like most have stated. What you are hearing is a build-up of air pressure in the car. Since the car will not expand in volume, you get a momentary "high pressure event" with the rear windows (being down) being the only place for the air to exit to reach equilibrium. This in turn causes a momentary "low pressure event" which then allows air to rush back into the car - thus setting up a vicious cycle of highs and lows. By putting a front window down, you allow an alternate point for the air to equalize; thus eliminating the "thumping" noise you hear.

I have a friend who is an engineer and took great pride in explaining the whole process to me one time. Although he used much bigger words than I did.

This concludes my 'geek post' of the day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts