Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
142 Posts
If I were to do anything to my X's front bumper, I would have a PreRunner tubular bumper/skid custom made.

Check around your local off road shops and they should be able to refer you to someone that specializes in tubular fabrications for off road vehicles of all sorts.

I had a PreRunner bumper custom made for a Chevy S10 with 5" of lift back in '99, and it was sweet. The shop that made it did roll cages, bumpers, light/roll bars and anything else you could dream up. Of course that truck is long gone and was run into the ground and I do not have any pics.

Anyways, find someone that can make you exactly what you want. That will be you best bet.

·
on line
142 Posts

This is a sloppy drawing of what I would have fabbed up. You should be able to request 1" or 2" tubular steel. I go would go with 1". From the top it should wrap around the front of the X following the contour of the body design and stopping just shy of where the bumper did in front of the front tires. The light hoop looks really good leaning forward a little bit. Don't forget to request to have light mount brackets put on.

Looking from the front, the skid plate should be enclosed in L shaped steel brackets. They will hold in the skid plate and provide attachment points. Do not weld this to your frame. Have them make bolt on brakets that mount where your bumper/shrockworks bumper would and tappering down to your radiator skid. The sloppy red indicates possible mounting. Use your imagination.

If anyone decides to tackle this, set up the appointment with the Fab. shop, then take your bumper off prior, and paint everything under where the bumper was flat black. Then show up to your custom PreRunner Fabrication appointment bumperless and tell them exactly what you want.

Take the finished product in bare steel, and remove and paint yourself when you get home. This should not cost anymore than $400.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
thaddawg said:
This should not cost anymore than $400.
For custom fab? I doubt it. You are right, though, it shouldn't cost more than that, since you'll have less than $50-100 in steel into it. But all that set-up time, measuring, bending, fitting, notching, fabbing brackets, etc, etc, I'd expect twice that at least. I'd do it if I had a bender, but alas...

Calmini makes one for the Fronty. Wonder what it would take to adapt it to the X (wishful thinking). I really like it, and the price is right, too. All you'd need to do is figure out how to stuff a winch behind that skid plate and you'd be set! http://purenissan.com/05prerunbump.htm

Here's a custom fab, on the XterraRacer. http://www.teamxterraracing.com/images/lrg73.jpg

So, sad to say, custom fab is the only way to get one right now.

·
on line
142 Posts
The one I had custom made for my S10 back in '99 only cost me $350, And it was made exactly as shown in my sloppy drawings. It only took about 3 hours. This is a simple job for someone that has good experience with pipe bending and welding. For those of you in or near San Diego, the shop was called Tubular Fabrications located in Santee. They should still be doing business.

·
on line
776 Posts
pre bumper

Dude, just go to 4x4parts.com they have em for gen 2's specifically!

·
on line
316 Posts
Re: pre bumper

ridge runner x said:
Dude, just go to 4x4parts.com they have em for gen 2's specifically!
This is true. Personally I would spend the money and get the shrockworks if you're even going to consider something like this tho.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i asked AC for a picture of the exact model for the Xterra since all they had was a frontier and they wouldn't send one to me...said they didn't have one available...who sells a product but can't supply a picture?

·
on line
3,272 Posts
B REAL said:
How come it looks like the one on 4x4parts.com just attaches over the current bumper kinda like a grille guard?
I thought the exact same thing. That is not a pre runner bar. There is a thread about a shrockworks custom bumper on the shrockworks forum that looks more like what a pre runner bar should look like except for the fact that is welded to the giant front steel bumper. But more along the lines of what you are looking for I believe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts