Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey all!

Just finished the install, I am thinking of writing a longer write-up for all the idiosyncrasies of the Ironman kit, but I think overall I am very happy - my initial impressions are that the ride is a lot smoother. Ground clearance at the front is about 11 inches, the diff is obviously a little lower, and still need to trim my U-Bolts.

After the first test ride, my front went from 34.5 -> 36.0 inches and my rear from 35.5 -> 38.0 inches. So about 1.5 inches in the front and 2.5 inches in the back. Some pics from the install below.

Over some rutted dirt road here where I am usually comfortable going 20-25 mph, I could go 35-40 mph without bottoming out, and everything feels much smoother.

Looking for some help here on two things I want to figure out:

1. Driveline vibration from 25-35 mph

2. Some popping noises when articulating?

For #1, I am guessing I just need to try a couple of different angle shims to find the right one? Below is what my driveshaft looks like.

8A830C6D-0D9E-4E2E-9706-C65B17DB9AA5_1_105_c.jpeg

For #2, I thought this happens when the bushings are too tight, but I tightened everything to spec while on the ground. Any thoughts?

Thank again all. If anyone has any questions on this kit, feel free to PM happy to answer any questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the update! I've been considering buying leafs from ironman (waiting for their bushings to come back in stock) so this is helpful. Might not be what you're going for, but I wonder if removing the overload leaf would even out the front and the rear as well as help with the driveline vibration?

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
599 Posts
Hey glad you were able to install it.. will be looking for a full write up ))
and the green springs they look good )

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Thanks for the update! I've been considering buying leafs from ironman (waiting for their bushings to come back in stock) so this is helpful. Might not be what you're going for, but I wonder if removing the overload leaf would even out the front and the rear as well as help with the driveline vibration?
Yea! Glad it can be helpful. I don't mind the rake, and don't want to disassemble everything right now, but thanks for the idea. Trying different shims at the moment.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
EDIT:

Update on shims: tried no shims, 1 degree, 2 degree, 3 degree. Still vibrations with all.

No shims had the most booming subwoofer like vibrations
1/2/3 had pretty much the same kind of vibrations
1 degree gives me -1 pinion angle
2 degrees gives me a straight line, but that is not recommended to compensate for axle wrap
3 degrees gives me +1 pinion angle

I believe a 1 degree shim is correct as it gives me a -1 degree angle of the pinion relative to the drive shaft. I guess I will leave them on and just see how they settle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
On a road trip right now with the 1 deg. shims from Ironman. The good news so far is that loaded with two others, the vibrations are still there but not as bad. Also, the X just made it up and down Imogene Pass, suspension did great. After I return I plan to watch the vibes again, and then I might try 2 and 4 degree wedges from Rubicon Express. Thought is that the thicker wedges might actually help lift the axle higher to be in a better position than simply only correcting the angle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On a road trip right now with the 1 deg. shims from Ironman. The good news so far is that loaded with two others, the vibrations are still there but not as bad. Also, the X just made it up and down Imogene Pass, suspension did great. After I return I plan to watch the vibes again, and then I might try 2 and 4 degree wedges from Rubicon Express. Thought is that the thicker wedges might actually help lift the axle higher to be in a better position than simply only correcting the angle.
Awesome! I have a lift ready to install but I want to make sure I get everything right cuz it's my DD. Had to look into the axle shims. Thanks for the update! Road trip sounds like it was awesome! Gotta any video? Enjoy it, stay safe!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
No problem. You going with Ironman as well?

Gonna make a separate post for the trip, but here's a quick update on vibrations:

1. Unloaded, 1 deg. shim is somewhat back to its normal self. So I guess loaded really does take care of the vibrations. (driver + two other guys and camping stuff), but unloaded still no go.

2. I just got Rubicon Express 1464 (2 or 2.5 degree? )Shims in today and did the install. Thankfully they worked with the stock Ironman center pins with just drilling out, but lengthwise, it was all good. Vibrations now are so close to being eliminated. It feels like 75% of when I was loaded with the other shims. Much better than any of the wedges I bought from Ironman, I guess you live and learn. I'm thinking I might return the Rubicon Express 1467 shims since I am at 0 degree pinion angle at the moment and don't want to go +2...

TL;DR Get Rubicon Express shims. Below is a comparison if RE1464 and Ironman/Nisstec 2 degree shims

21 - 29 of 29 Posts