Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
TNX Senior Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am curious what preferred CV’s people are using when they swap in the M205 Titan diff? I assume that Nissan OE are probably the best I can’t seem to find any used ones at the moment. Rockauto Cardone with thermoplastic boot at $70.89 a piece? I’m getting ready to regear/diff swap next month and have everything but the CV’s. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

·
TNX Veteran
3,729 Posts
You are right about OEM. Those are the "strongest". Aside from that, there are not many options. I get the Rockauto HD Cardone ones like you mentioned. I broke 2 last winter while locked in super wet/chunky snow, but who knows if that was the fault of the CVs or if that was just my driving & the terrain.

Unfortunately, you spend $70 each for those, and the next jump is over $1000 for the pair (Chromoly custom shafts). I haven't really seen anything in the middle.

·
TNX Senior Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks. I think I’d rather have my weakest link be the cardone CV’s. They are not difficult to change out, I’d rather break them than the diff itself.

·
Premium Member
2,882 Posts
I've been running a set of Rock Auto cardones for over 4 years, and still going strong.
ARB locker and plenty of moab abuse, but I try not to be stupid on them (even though I tweaked a rear axle).

I've got new ones that I'll change out this year proactively, as I'd much rather change them in my shop than out on the trail, though our crew has got it down to about a half hour :cool: .

Don't hammer them on full lock, or bounce airborne with it pinned... 😆

·
TNX Senior Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome that’s what I was hoping. Thanks Dave. I forgot to ask, are you guys getting the diff side CV bolts from Nissan dealerships? I’ve heard others fit but the heads are larger and make removing and replacing difficult?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I've been running the Rock Auto Cardone's since I Titan Swapped back in 2013. I'm on my second set and only changed them out because the first set was pretty beat up. Current set hasn't seen quite as much abuse but haven't ever had an issue with either set I've run. For the money you can't go wrong

If you run a search on some of the old Titan Swap threads you find part numbers for the hardware. Been struggling as of late to find old stuff around the but i'll go try and find them

·
TNX Senior Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome. Thanks GuerrillaXT! I have a good hook up at a local dealership but the part number will make it much easier. I just wish I would’ve Titan swapped and regeared from the start. It would have saved me quite a few cases of beer lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts