Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Ive been wanting to build something that may be considered a mild pre runner truck, I've seen this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vuhQOFPcRg And I was wondering what kind of suspension do you think this guy is running? I want about 2 inchs of lift or so but I want maximum amount of travel. What do you guys think would be a optimized setup for this kind of truck?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I don't know what those guys are running for suspension in the X. I know you could find out pretty easily though, that is the team xterra racing guys, just visit their website and I'm sure they have some info out there or a way to contact and ask them. (actually, they mention their website in the video that you linked).

As for your question, you need to do some searching. I recommend that you look into doing a Titan Swap. I don't know how much money you have to spend/how much you will really use the set up or just want something decent, but hey, that's all up to you. To maximize your travel without dropping ridiculous amounts of money on a Titan mid travel kit and making that work well or something like that, the titan swap can't be beaten. Even with a titan swap though, you are looking at a relatively hefty price tag depending on how thick your wallet is on average. As for the titan swap, I wouldn't bother replacing the diff with an M205, I'd run the extended chromolly half shafts with the R180 but would run titan suspension for the travel. Again, do some searching on those subjects though. As far as the extended axles, my build thread has info on that. Others here are running full titan swap too though so just look around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The first thing I did was visit their website and there is no specs or contact info.
I did search and I dont think race teams are just willing to give up their suspension specs to any old joe blow. I've been considering the titan swap for some time now but not sure as to how it would really effect me and what I want to do as most guys are just into slow trails. Money isnt really a problem im prepared to spend whatever it takes. I just want something thats going to beable to take extremely hard hits all day long and then drive home. Is the dana 44 up to the task or is the heavier duty diff the only thing that will take that kind of abuse? I have built a few old mud trucks with dana 60's in them and they are fckin' near bullet proof but i dont have much experience when it comes to the 44. I like the idea of a wider wheel base with the titan swap wider base mean less tipping and more confidence in the corners. I have read my info and was simply asking for an opinion.

·
on line
9,460 Posts
I think there are a few questions you should answer before you get any solid advice.

• What type of Off-Roading do you plan to do? High Speed, Low Speed, Desert, Rocks?
  • How much are willing to out into this project? $1,500, $2,500, $4,000?
  • Do you plan to keep the truck stock or do you have an open mind to structural modifications?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know how to make this any clearer then previous post, High speeds regaurdless of terrain, money = no object, Considering titan swap which would require structural modifications.

·
on line
8,599 Posts
The Dana44 variant m226 is a pretty tough axle but the Elocker that comes in it has weak spider gears. I busted mine and have replaced the hole piece with a ARB locker. Actually blew up the spider gears playing in deep loose sand.
Front suspension I suggest Titan swap whith good quality coil overs and bumps.
If you do consider goin Titan then join Titantalk.org see what options they have over there.

For the rear get some custom leafs. Deaver or Alcans. Then again get some good quality shocks and bumps.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Dana44 variant m226 is a pretty tough axle but the Elocker that comes in it has weak spider gears. I busted mine and have replaced the hole piece with a ARB locker. Actually blew up the spider gears playing in deep loose sand.
Front suspension I suggest Titan swap whith good quality coil overs and bumps.
If you do consider goin Titan then join Titantalk.org see what options they have over there.

For the rear get some custom leafs. Deaver or Alcans. Then again get some good quality shocks and bumps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you! This is the kind of info I was looking for. Ide Just hate to throw a whole bunch of money at a project and have it break because i am inexperienced with nissan parts and specs. This is my first nissan and im simply just unfamiliar with what parts are suitable for what. Considering your spider gears blew apart in sand mine probably would do the same under the amount of stress i am going to be appliying. How much did your arb locker run you and where did you pick it up?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Don't know how to make this any clearer then previous post, High speeds regaurdless of terrain, money = no object, Considering titan swap which would require structural modifications.
Ummm, really? Money = no object? If that's the case, then why in the world are you asking regular peeps like us, who have limited funds, for advice on making a pre-runner type, near race spec suspension?

I call BS. This sounds like the kind of stuff an 18 year old would post about their X (if they have one). If money is no object, then go talk to the people at some race fab shops. I'm sure they'd LOVE to hear that you don't have a budget and want to go "high speeds regaurdless of terrain".

Heck, why not just buy a race truck and put license plates on it if money is no object? Give me a break.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Wow ... and here I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt in your other thread. I think rocknhd hit it on the head this time.

Check out the Nismostuff Rally Frontier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ummm, really? Money = no object? If that's the case, then why in the world are you asking regular peeps like us, who have limited funds, for advice on making a pre-runner type, near race spec suspension?

I call BS. This sounds like the kind of stuff an 18 year old would post about their X (if they have one). If money is no object, then go talk to the people at some race fab shops. I'm sure they'd LOVE to hear that you don't have a budget and want to go "high speeds regaurdless of terrain".

Heck, why not just buy a race truck and put license plates on it if money is no object? Give me a break.
I said mild pre runner. Something that will take abuse and can still be driven on roads. You pretentious douchbags should read before spewing usless posts to inflate your ego

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I said mild pre runner. Something that will take abuse and can still be driven on roads. You pretentious douchbags should read before spewing usless posts to inflate your ego
And I suggested a titan swap and told you where some of the basic options lay so you could look at how you wanted to set it up. The coilovers that I (and quite a few others on here actually) am running and the control arms etc will handle serious abuse. Obviously you have seen the pictures of us at low speed/low impact....for other examples, look up TheXkid, user name on here, he has quite a few pictures out there from a recent trip where he was clearing what appears to be several feet of air on an almost identical set up to the one I suggested. ....back to my original statement, go search dude. I was trying to offer advice without just coming out and saying what rocknhd did, but as skibum said, I think he hit it on the head. You said money isn't an object and then discussed price etc.

Oh, and "rally" what's a rally? is that one of those things where everyone wears a white robe that hides their face and burns a cross?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Saying things like that will get you kicked off this forum, just an FYI.

Coming from someone who likes to go fast and take their X pretty much everywhere, the X is not really the right platform for a "prerunner". If the funds are no issue I would say grab a Fronty and put a custom long travel kit and link the rear. I would love a full blown long traveled "race truck" Xterra but it's just the wrong vehicle for just going fast and jumping your truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Saying things like that will get you kicked off this forum, just an FYI.

Coming from someone who likes to go fast and take their X pretty much everywhere, the X is not really the right platform for a "prerunner". If the funds are no issue I would say grab a Fronty and put a custom long travel kit and link the rear. I would love a full blown long traveled "race truck" Xterra but it's just the wrong vehicle for just going fast and jumping your truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Because that would be a crying shame, everyone here is so full of useful information. Thats funny you say that too considering there is a whole class of vehicle dedicated to exactly what im talking about and only thousands of people ateend and particapate in but yes im the idiot for wanting to build a mild version of a "rally raid" vehicle. Honestly if i wanted to argue with a bunch of block heads I could do that on youtube. So **** you all im out.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Because that would be a crying shame, everyone here is so full of useful information. Thats funny you say that too considering there is a whole class of vehicle dedicated to exactly what im talking about and only thousands of people ateend and particapate in but yes im the idiot for wanting to build a mild version of a "rally raid" vehicle. Honestly if i wanted to argue with a bunch of block heads I could do that on youtube. So **** you all im out.
Dude, calm down. Look at what people are saying here, a Titan swap is a mid travel setup and good for pretty much everything you throw at it when you have it setup right. But yes you're right, there is a class for SUV's like ours and there's only one X that has been setup to race. From my understanding you aren't going to be racing? If all you want to do is go fast and jump your truck an Xterra just isn't the best vehicle. Do what you want by all means, we're just trying to answer your questions.

With that "eff you all I'm out" attitude, I'm sure most people wouldn't be terribly disappointed if you decided to not to be a part of the forum.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.