Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm not quite a noob yet, because I don't have an Xterra, but I'm just about there. I have my purchase narrowed down to an SE or an OR.

Can anyone here provide any "undocumented" advice on which might be the better trim level to go with? I'm a mostly "urban" type of person, so the SE might be a good fit, but future "light" off roading is definitely a possibility. So far the OR looks like it's better bang for the buck. Anyone have any thoughts on the skid plates or 4x4 assist options (clutch start assist, hill start assist, hill decent assist, etc.) that come with the OR?

I also want to get the interior bike rack accessory -- will this still fit in the back with the subwoofer that comes with the RF stereo package, or does it get in the way?

Any input based on experience is appreciated.

D-Rock

·
on line
1,716 Posts

The sub is under the drivers seat and the amp is under the passengers seat, so nothing will get in the way. I have a 6 speed mt OR, so this may be a bit biased. I purchased the OR because of the availability of the locker and the ride difference of the Bilstein shocks, also it does not come with the steps and it seems to have a better quality of fabric on the seats. On the SE I do like the 17" wheels and the trip computer option. Whichever option you choose I'm suer that you will be very happy with your decision.

·
on line
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JAdams said:

The sub is under the drivers seat and the amp is under the passengers seat, so nothing will get in the way. I have a 6 speed mt OR, so this may be a bit biased. I purchased the OR because of the availability of the locker and the ride difference of the Bilstein shocks, also it does not come with the steps and it seems to have a better quality of fabric on the seats. On the SE I do like the 17" wheels and the trip computer option. Whichever option you choose I'm suer that you will be very happy with your decision.
By locker do you mean the rear diff (sorry, off roading illiterate here)? In laymen's terms, what advantage will it give me on and off road (as well as snow)?

How about the Bilsteins? Stiffer or softer ride?

Thanks for the info!

D-Rock

·
on line
1,361 Posts
the locker won't give you much advantages in snow you are better off to stay unlocked. On the trails it will give you much better traction, but that also depends on the type of trail you need.

I say if you have the case then go for the OR, its better to have and not need than to need and not have.

·
on line
564 Posts
Welcome! If you see any type of serious off roading in your future the OR would be better...but either way you can't go wrong!

Rob

·
on line
358 Posts
I went with the OR for the skids (Weak but some protection), Bilsteins (they are great), and the locker. One bib thing to think about is the rollover airbag pkg. I did not get it because it can go off when offroading (it has happened to some, but not alot) (Search and you will fint info on the airbags)

·
TNX Administrator
20,252 Posts
:pirate: Ahoy, Matey! :newb: (n00b) Welcome! Yer on a site dedicated to Nissan's, "Next Generation Xterra." Step aboard, take in what you can, but promise to share what you learn! :3some:

·
on line
1,884 Posts
I recommend the OR if you plan on going to the woods alone. (No one to pull you out if you get stuck) The locker can get you out of a situation that may otherwise leave you stranded.

Welcome to the board!

·
on line
237 Posts
Welcome to the forum....OR. :cheers:

·
on line
975 Posts
hello welcome to the club.

·
on line
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey -- thanks for all the welcomes and tips -- much appreciated.

I'm definitely leaning towards the OR (and I will definitely get a 4x4).

SE is still on the list, but it almost seems like a waste to get an Xterra and not get the OR (unless you plan on doing lots of aftermarket, which I don't plan on doing until much later in life).

D-Rock

·
on line
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK...it's a done deal. I've got an OR and I'm lovin' it. First mod will be the interior bike rack. Anyone know where to get a good deal on one?

D-Rock

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Congrats! I was about to weigh in in favor of the OR and I'm too late. Lots of us have swapped the stock skid plates for aftermarket, but the stock skids can save you, even on mild trails. Who needs to tear an oil pan open?

The clutch start/ hill assist (depending MT or AT, of course) is very useful, and the locker, as others have posted, can be a lifesaver. When engaged, the locker makes the rear axle act like a unified spool, so even if one wheel is slipping, or in the air, the other tire will get plenty of torque--and thus traction. Unlocked in that situation, the tire with potentially good traction would get so little torque it wouldn't move.

·
on line
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What's up d-rap? Perhaps you're my long-lost sibling?

I got an OR with an automatic. I've had manual transmissions all my life, and I figured it was about time to give in to modern technology. Hopefully I've made the right decision

My last car was an '06 MX-5, so the X is a HUGE change handling-wise. This thing is almost TOO EASY to drive.

D-Rock

·
on line
1,792 Posts
My girlfriend has an Acura RSX and the Xterra practically handles better than her ride.

And while I love my MT, clearly, especially off-road, ATs are taking over.

"D-Rock," cool tag bro!.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts