Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding the replacement of the UCAs. I know that once we go above a 2" lift, coil bucket contact becomes an issue and is solved by replacing the UCAs. I'm wondering if I really need to replace them if I'm just doing a Nisstec/OME/Dobinsons 2" lift. It's mainly used as a daily driver, but sees some popup towing and hunting use. I live in TN (the Mid South) so no rock crawling, but some mud because of the hunting usage. I'll get them if I really need to, but was hoping I could wait a bit. Itd be the full suspension lift, not spacers or AALs. Thanks.

· Registered
2,828 Posts
Around 2" of lift you'll be right on the cusp of getting coil bucket contact. I wouldn't expect it much, unless you hit large bumps. However, you might need the lower control arm bolts to get the camber within specs. If you can't get it with the bolts, then you'll definitely need the UCAs. UCAs aren't just to avoid CBC, some of them also aid in attaining proper alignment.

· Registered
2006 Xterra S M6 and 2010 Xterra Off Road
476 Posts
Daughter has a 2" spacer on top of her strut from Nisstec. They send little bump stops to put on your UCA to deaden the impact. Only hear a dull thud in big bumps, speed bumps, etc when the suspension goes full droop fast. I'd not think twice with what you describe your usage is. Try it....if it gets too annoying then splurge for a set of aftermarket UCAs...but doubt you get too annoyed too quick with it. Those little bump stops are important though. Look at Nisstec's kits, you'll see them. Suspect they're made by Energy Suspension or something and surely available elsewhere.

In fact, there they are

Summit LInk

· Registered
1,974 Posts
At 2in, you'll definitely be capable of CBC.
It'll just depend on your driving habits and tolerance for rough clanks combined with 'topping out'. You can add bump stops... but then you just top out sooner. Less noise, same feeling.
Example:
If you go slow over a speed bump, no clanks. (Nose settles on the top, then comes down as you roll off the speed bump)
If you go fast over a speed bump, no clanks. (nose doesn't go up much, so wheel cant drop low enough to CBC)
If you go moderate enough for the front end to bounce up then the suspension to drop out off the back of the bump... CLANK/THUD.
Same thing with wheeling. I can crawl around all day without an issue. If i need to carry some speed through a mud hole or sandy area, I'm likely to get some clanking.
There's QUITE a few intersections around me that result in rough CBC if I'm going the speed limit because the intersection is a crowned road.
I'm just accustomed to it. Don't hate it enough to change it. And at the time, I was doing a budget lift to see if I'd even wheel it.
But its annoying enough that I'll be adding them before my next alignment, and likely adding 1in, since "Why not, I have UCA now!"

· Registered
2,995 Posts
I hated the topping out when I went that route. On some paved roads, especially after bridges where the pavement suddenly went lower you could feel the front top out and the entire truck would suddenly drop downward. On those narrow speedbumps the same thing. The aftermarket UCA's help the ride quality a ton but the topping out can be lived with for a while, I think I went a year before I got really annoyed with it.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I currently have a 2-inch lift. I had enough coil bucket contact that was not practical for my daily driving with middle TN's roads and some easy trails. Drove me to my breaking point. I ordered ADO UCA's and it made a drastic difference.
Which manufacturer did you go with for the lift?

I'm going to post some pics of my ride when I get home tomorrow. Camping right now.

· Registered
6 Posts
Which manufacturer did you go with for the lift?

I'm going to post some pics of my ride when I get home tomorrow. Camping right now.
Right now I am just on a spacer (Rough Country due to the price at the time). Xterra had a blown motor that I got from a buddy and I rebuilt it. He had new stock shocks assembly so I just threw the spacers and shackle lift. I am looking to upgrade to coilovers in the coming weeks. Truck runs fine as is. I am not doing any extensive offroading with the setup. Gets me camping in some remote areas and easier trails. Posted some pictures for reference.

Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Tent
Tent Sky Automotive tire Vehicle Plant

· Registered
1,761 Posts
This thread popped up in my email today and although I sold my X several years ago, I thought I would chime in here about the misconceptions of CBC.

The thing that keeps you from having coil bucket contact at 2" of lift is not the amount of lift, but actually the swaybar endlinks. They will be stretched almost straight out at full droop, so you won't start getting that contact until you wear out the sway bar bushing or remove the front sway. People say that some get it, and some don't, but the reality is the thing keeping you from hitting is your endlinks, not your suspension setup.

I've run just about every setup in the front end short of titan swap and bracket drop lifts, both with and without a front swaybar. I ran no sway for a long time and only put it back in with PRG extended endlinks to prevent the limitation on travel.
spacer/aal --> 5100 + spacer/aal --> 5100 coilover conversion (fat bobs)/aal --> radflo 2.0/aal --> radflo 2.0/OME HD --> radflo 2.0/OME MD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts