Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the guys over at titantalk came up with a way to lock and unlock the rear tailgate with the power doors by using an actuator.

so i was wondering if it would be possible to install one inline with the rod thats connected to the handle that opens the hatch.

i have seen pictures of the handle mechanism and my best guess is that the wires running to the handle disconnect the handle from the rod when the doors are locked, so that would also lead me to believe that the actuator would work wether the doors were locked or not.

i was thinking that a small momentary switch on the D pillar would be a good way to open it after a night of sleeping inside.

also i would think that the handle and power locks would work with this mod as well.

my only concern is that after sending power to the actuator to allow it to open the gate, it would not return the the closed position without applying power to reverse it.

would it be possible to make it function like a door buzzer, that keeps it in the extended position when power is applied but returns it to the retracted position after the power stops flowing?

also what type of actuator would be good for this?

im not that great with mechanics and all but i can come up with ideas
thanks in advance for any help.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Maybe a solenoid of some kind? I'm not sure of how many lbs of push or pull force you would need. Also how much length in the stroke you would need. I'm not sure if these parts would work tho.

Something like this on McMaster is $16 with a force of around 8lbs. (If I'm reading the chart right.)

or This one for $25.

·
on line
264 Posts
do i sound like an idiot or does the tailgate not lock when i hit the lock button on my key phob?

·
on line
13 Posts
Re: power unlocking rear hatch

I think he is looking for a way to open it from the inside

paintsnow said:
i was thinking that a small momentary switch on the D pillar would be a good way to open it after a night of sleeping inside.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: I've been watching this "problem" for a long time, there is a simple, logical, 5th grade level system that easily unlocks (after FOB unlock) the rear hatch, FROM THE INSIDE--

--My wife and I used it several times camping in September, TO ELIMINATE THAT STUPID SIDE DOOR EXIT--

--I haven't mentioned it, not because it's cheap, but because of INTERNET LIABILITY and for the same reason, None of the AUTO mfg's provide their SUV's, with an internal release-It's not CHILD proof and I know many of YOU Xrs have little children-I don't--

--If enough people respond, I'll provide a picture, of my installation and brief description of the REASON it works, but no pic, step, construction series, it's just to INTERNET LIABLE for possible loss of a child-out the back--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
500 Posts
JIMBO said:
:clown: I've been watching this "problem" for a long time, there is a simple, logical, 5th grade level system that easily unlocks (after FOB unlock) the rear hatch, FROM THE INSIDE--

--My wife and I used it several times camping in September, TO ELIMINATE THAT STUPID SIDE DOOR EXIT--

--I haven't mentioned it, not because it's cheap, but because of INTERNET LIABILITY and for the same reason, None of the AUTO mfg's provide their SUV's, with an internal release-It's not CHILD proof and I know many of YOU Xrs have little children-I don't--

--If enough people respond, I'll provide a picture, of my installation and brief description of the REASON it works, but no pic, step, construction series, it's just to INTERNET LIABLE for possible loss of a child-out the back--

Great news.

Too bad you're so Califormia educated about the profit potenials of the legal system, because it limites your ability to be helpful.

Lawyers are today's California gold diggers.
Patrick

·
on line
1,716 Posts
JIMBO said:

I'm more than happy to sign a release form...PM sent.

·
on line
4,594 Posts
INTERNET LIABILITY ??

Can I sue the pr0n sites for carpel tunnel?

Count me in as interested in your solution.

·
on line
122 Posts
Jimbo

Also interested in solution. Can't you just post with a "proceed at your own risk" note in the post or "saying that the modifier takes all responsibility for mod"

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: No, I can't say anything, it's like saying this drink is not for children-means nothing--

--What I can do is--

--

--Please notice the EXACT position of the ACCESS hole, the EMERG, HANDLE is used only because I bought the NISSAN EMERGENCY TRUNK RELEASE kit MOD #90606-N50001 and upon receipt, realized it couldn't be used (although the handle glows in dark)--

--It comes with 41 pages of instructions, on installation in Nissan 240z/280z/300z/Sentra/Altima, ONLY, no SUV's-anyway the 05/06/07/08 Xterras use a hatch handle that operates, JUST a CABLE, to actuate the latch---All I can tell you, is to take off the hatch plastic and LOOK, at the inside of the PUSH/PULL hatch handle, a 5th grade kid can figure out how to use it immmediately-you will to--

--I thinlk there are "how-to's" on hatch plastic removal, but you have to pry it off very gently and you must remove (2), 7mm screws, underneath the EMERGENCY MEDICAL BAG, THEN THE SOUND DAMPNER ON THE PASS SIDE, PLEASE JUST OPERATE THE HANDLE AND WATCH THE MOVEMENT FROM THE inside, YOU CAN FIGURE IT OUT !!

--Please don't hate me, cause I CAN"T give a lot more info, I only discovered the easy way, because I was pi##ed because I couldn't use that $50 buck, EMERG RELWEASE KIT as supplied--

--Come-on, you guys can do this, but ya gotta take off that plastic and if you've got any kids-I wouldn't cut any holes in the plastic and install this sys !!!!!!!!

:geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
384 Posts
Thanks for the post. If the doors would automatically lock at a specified speed, then most of the fears associated with this mod could be avoided. I realize this annoys some people, but I really like that feature on my Intrepid and it would resolve any accidental opening on the hatch since there is not an 'unlock' button back there.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well, thats not the danger with my SIMPLE mechanical system, it doesn't use any electricity or modify any systems associated with the PUSH/PULL hatch handle, the FOB operated "lock" system still does exactally what NISSAN designed it for--

Lyrex said:
Thanks for the post. If the doors would automatically lock at a specified speed, then most of the fears associated with this mod could be avoided. I realize this annoys some people, but I really like that feature on my Intrepid and it would resolve any accidental opening on the hatch since there is not an 'unlock' button back there.
--And because it's so simple-thats the reason, it's so dangerous for young toddlers (3/4/5) yrs of age--

·
on line
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my impression was that toddlers and children were supposed to be strapped into their seats or booster seats and seatbelts buckled, not allowed to fly around on that slippery cargo floor.

unless its herculined, then its perfectly fine for kids to go back there of course
:]

but honestly, SUV manufactures should make something that is child-proof, especially for off road suvs marketed at campers and outdoor-loving people

how hard would it be to attach a momentary push button that you have to hold for oh say 3 seconds, thats located near the roof on the D piller that gets deactivated if the speedo reads more than 0?

thats pretty idiot proof to me
if the cars not moving...

OR
Better yet
have a handle on the inside as well with a child lockout feature like the back doors, keep it locked from the inside when city driving, and unlock at night.
although i suppose people would forget

how bout a key activated one only, you put the car key in, turn, door opens

cant even do that with the engine on

so i guess the speedo synchronized botton is the best way to go
HEAR THAT NISSAN^ DO IT NOW, IM A COP YOU IDIOT

sorry, ill get off my soapbox now.

·
on line
55 Posts
you could use a universal door lock actuator and wire it to a button somewhere in the cargo area or to the keyless entry system. when u hit the button the actuator pulls on the rod and opens the door. Same concept as people with shaved door handles. trigger the actuator push on the hatch is opens.

·
Banned
69 Posts
So.. the newer Xs Auto lock at like 15 mph

Did you ever get any further with your button method that was stated in the original post?

I'd like to be able to pop it open from a FOB..

I know there are companies who custom mod vehicles for people with special needs who I'm sure could do it

any other solutions for electrical button hatch opening?

and what is with your secrets JIMBO?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts