Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone having their power steering pumps die on them? I've had mine replaced and the second one died while I was on a road trip.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
First I have heard of Steering Pump failures...

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, that's what I'm finding...no one has had issues with it...but me.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Must be driving like your avatar... :geek: Some how I see a steering pump failing when filled with mud :cyclops:

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was wondering but they said the pump is actually burning the fluid.

Which wouldn't have anything to do with mud. :)

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Whatever it is good luck getting it fixed!

·
on line
1,884 Posts
And just a flyer off the top of my lumpy head....

If the fluid is burning up then there must be excess heat in the pump. I figure it must be friction from the belt. (or a bearing but not on multiple pumps) Maybe the belt is the wrong size and is pulling too hard on the pulley creating friction.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nissan is going to replace the power steering pump, power steering rack, and tie rods.

They think the rack is the problem and need to replace parts that connect to the rack as well.

·
on line
68 Posts
Hey Cornick
How did your steering feel prior to your finding out it was the pump. I went mild wheeeling last weekend and had to do a tight turnaround on a trail which meant a lot of lock to lock turning. Once I got turned around the steering was very stiff. Meaning, I'd turn with more force and the the truck wouldn't react immediately. Now that I'm outta the hills it just feels different. It takes more force to turn the wheel.
Let me know
XT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts