Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have an 2006 with Shrock Bumper and Ramsey Winch and I noticed fluid leaking before going to get an Oil Change. At first the leak source was confusing because it was dripping off Trans Cooler and from sides of the Skid Plates in front. A Nissan Mechanic finally track down the source. It was the Power Steering Cooling Piping.

I did not have any major hits on the Bumper, but had driven some Black Diamond and mostly mountain trails up and down with no loss of Steering Control a few days before. To access this area, undo top of Grill removing four Plastic Tabs and you will see this;

Follow the Piping down to back of Bumper to check for damage - here is mine;

After putting some Protection on new Piping I will monitor situation and trim Bumper, if need. Here is a pic of the Tubing Failure, (sorry about the other items in pic), look at Red Arrow next to Yellow item. The Piping is pinched in and Black paint is gone. Hope you do not see this, as item is a special order and arguable not warrantied.

·
on line
108 Posts
My bumper is right against that pipe too. Is the bumper suppossed to sit below that pipe (larger gap below the headlights), or is it somehow suppossed to sit further out? Anyone have pics of the headlight gap and/or clearance to that pipe?

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Mine's rubbing too. I looks like if the bumper was another 1/2 cut forward it wouldn't be rubbing the stock tubing. Like John I've put plastic tubing on to reduce the metal to metal rubbing. I took a bit of 3/8" or 1/2" fairly thick walled tubing and cut a slit - then then put the slit edge onto the back of the bumper. I had to stick a thick blade screwdriver inbetween the steering tubing and the bumper to make enough room to squeeze the plastic tube in there.

That's been a couple of months ago and I haven't checked it since. Suppose I need to do that.

·
on line
108 Posts
I found that lowering my bumper so that the bumper is below the pipe worked best for me. I now have a 1" gap at the wings (about 1/2" at the headlights) but it doesn't look bad. When I lowered the bumper, the pipe sprung back forward about 3/8", so the bumper was definitely pressing on it. It was scuffed up a bit too. I painted the pipe to keep it from corroding, and will probably put tie wraps around it as a buffer in case there is any vibration causing contact.

·
TNX Administrator
20,114 Posts
RIXterra said:
You guys should contact Jim and let him know so he can fix the problem..
Sent an email to their Technical Division and Nick said they we're on it.

·
on line
105 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Can someone post a picture of where the contact is happening (with the bumper on). I wouldnt even know where to look....
I think it is impossible get a camera in there for a picture unless the grill is pulled.

Mine is not hitting, but it's very close. I probably on have less than 1/16" of clearance. The problem area is right where Sturndog's line failed. The location on the bumper is the back edge of the platform the winch mounts to. The power steering cooling line runs horizontally above/behind that part of the bumper.

·
on line
108 Posts
It is actually easy to get a picture as long as you don't have a winch or a front license plate. If you look through that hole you can see the pipe running horizontally hopefully above the rear edge of the bumper.

·
on line
272 Posts
Has the power steering cooler issue been addressed? If I order a bumper now, will I still encounter the same problem?

·
on line
272 Posts
Thanks for the how-to link. I saw it earlier & will do the same if I have to. I'd rather not have to.

Earlier posts indicate Shrock is aware of the problem. I want to know if they've come up with a solution, like maybe notching the bumper to accomodate the ps cooler.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
where your leak is happening is on the return from the cooler so it is on the low perssure side and can be fixed very easy... now what creek did was on the right track... but you can salvage your old metal line and still have it work... what you need to do is get a dremel and cut the broken section of metal hose out completely... then if you can flair both ends of the pipes that you chopped up. (the ends that are still attached to the truck.) then get some rubber hose and put it on so that it runs where the original steel hose was. get some metal band clamps and clamp both ends... that should work as a cheap and foolproof fix that wont rub or break... i read about this in 4wheeldrive and suv when they still had project X blade... they had the same problem and fixed it the way i just posted... hope that helps...

·
on line
1,055 Posts
I always thought that thing was the a/c condensor or the transmission cooler. This kinda worries me, BigRed didn't come with a hitch, I had the salesman throw it in as my signing bonus assuming that all the Xs came with a trans cooler just like the hitch wiring. Do they have them? If that's not it it must be in the radiator eh? Sorry, just never looked any further after seeing the PS cooler.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I have had my Shrock Front Bumper on for two years now and have no issue. You just need to pay attention to where you put things when your doing the install. My Hoses are no where near hitting anything, because I made adjustments so it wouldn't happen.
So sorry, but I will tend to disagree with you. When installing Aftermarket Parts one shouldn't have to needlessly alter Stock Parts to correct for a manufacture design problem. There's no compelling reason to have to bend the Hard Line Tubing for the Bumper. If the Bending/Altering is required then the Aftermarket Manufacturer ought inform the Customer before hand - and include Instructions on what to do with the installation. If there is an adjustment needed to prevent the issue the aftermarket product, then the manufacture ought to point it out.

That's only Fair.

To have the Customer discover this on his own - like out on the trail when the Power Steering starts to leak/overheat and to figure out a cure on their own is bad business. I love the Bumper and have bought everything Jim has made for our truck from Stem-to-Stern, but this needs fixing. A tiny alteration to the design would cure everything.

The Tube runs upwards, so the only adjustment direction that makes sense is downwards another 1/2" opening the Gaps between the Bumper and Body even more than the 3/4" +/- that they already are - and I don't think the mounting holes allow for that. I think I'm at the lowest point for that set of holes already and lined the Bumper Support with the Tube doing so.

Here's the Area of Concern:

Here's a close up of the Area in the unmodified condition. The Bumper lines up perfectly with the Tube up to and touching. Any movement of either is going to cause the Steel to rub against the Steel.

Not willing to Bend the Tube too hard I decided to alter the mounting of the Tube to put a bit of space between the two. I put Washers up top and a split Plastic Tube down below. This allowed me to move the Tube enough that I think/hope it doesn't rub. I suppose I ought to check on it now that it's been there awhile.

If the back of the Bumper Support was rebated a bit there'd be enough room.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Damaged.

Just checked - there is a small amount of damage to the tube caused by the bumper even with enough space between the tube and the bumper that they're not touching at rest. On the trail something must move towards the opposite part enough to touch. My split plastic tube had rotated to put the slit to the bumper. Might try wire ties or epoxy to keep it oriented correctly.

Darn.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts