Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys, I searched but couldn't find anything relevant. I have my phone charger connected to the power outlet 24/7. I just realized that the power outlet is active all the time. Should I be concerned about leaving my phone charger connected to the power outlet all the time?

·
on line
1,361 Posts
are you using the ones in your dash, if so use the other one.

however, besides running down your battery by the constant draw I think you would be fine.

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
willgr1 said:
there's two plugs in the dash, bottom one is always on, top is not, just plug it into there...or, plug it into the plug in the center console, that one is not always on.
I only have one on the dash. The other one is an Aux In. I can't use the center console 'cause the coiled wire would have to extend all the way to the center from windshield. I will just have to remember to unplug it. :D

·
on line
3,592 Posts
my 07 X.. has on the dash, Aux plug, below that cig charger outlet(hot all the time). Then inside the consoles is one more, that is key activated. Then IN the way back of the X, is another one ( hot all the time).

Do not think your phone charge will drain battery, not enough draw?. Unless your gone for 24 hours or more... then would unplug. few hours.. would not worry. Out in the woods.. Unplug. :)

Mine right off the lot, those plugs were all dead. Had to take back that morning, to find out why... Blown fuze from delivery to the lot... or something.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I forgot about the aux port taking up the top one. Sorry about that. Us none RF people have two and one is not always hot.

I agree with what was said above, don't leave it on for long periods or when you are in the middle of no where and you should be fine.

·
on line
352 Posts
Yeah the 08 with rockford takes a lot of space...Both of your front seats underneath are gone! And you lose that 2nd dash jack 12v

·
on line
77 Posts
I wouldn't worry. I have a rechargeable stinger flashlight mounted in the cargo area that's always charging. Have never noticed it to be a problem. I think the power draw isn't enough to matter.

·
on line
155 Posts
Don't worry man. I've left my phone on the hot outlet overnight and it is fine. Also if you leave your dome light on it will turn off on its own. I think that once a certain amount of power has been drawn the truck will cut it off so you can start it.

·
on line
20 Posts
Different vehicle, but might help. This is in my 1996 Dodge Ram pickup.

I have left a Garmin Vista Cx GPS with a 12v adapter (converts 12v to 5v) plugged in and on (with the backlight) for over a week in the winter and the vehicle started right up with no issues. I can't imagine a cell phone charger drawing more than a GPS with backlight. For the record, I replaced my battery last in 1999 and this happened last year, so we're not talking a factory fresh battery. Granted it's a wee larger than the Xterra battery, but still, if you drive the vehicle regularly I can't see this being an issue.

I have a friend who keeps a 12V mini-fridge running 24/7 in his RAV4 in AZ. He does have a long commute which I'm sure helps to recharge, but still, that's got to be a decent draw. SURELY the Xterra can do better than a RAV4. (^_^)

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ChrisS said:
......I have a friend who keeps a 12V mini-fridge running 24/7 in his RAV4 in AZ. He does have a long commute which I'm sure helps to recharge, but still, that's got to be a decent draw. SURELY the Xterra can do better than a RAV4. (^_^)
Wow! Never heard anybody doing that before! :) But, you guys are right. Power draw from a puny cellphone charger is very low so I am ok with leaving it connected. I drive about 50 miles everyday so that should keep the battery charged. Thank you guys!

·
on line
1,361 Posts
ChrisS said:
I have a friend who keeps a 12V mini-fridge running 24/7 in his RAV4 in AZ. He does have a long commute which I'm sure helps to recharge, but still, that's got to be a decent draw. SURELY the Xterra can do better than a RAV4. (^_^)
and does it actually stay cold? I have seen those before that don't stay very cold and in the hot AZ sun I would think it wouldn't work very well.

Does he have the stock battery?

·
on line
191 Posts
Between the phone(used as a GPS and phone), my mp3 player, bluetooth accesories and a plethora of radios and lights, something is always plugged in. I have yet to have a problem. This is a feature that I never really thought about whn I bought my truck, but has become a huge asset.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts