Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had any success in finding a power lift gate that works good? Got diagnosed with MS 6 years ago and love my x, but a power liftgate would be super handy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced the hatch struts shortly after getting the X. Works great now, pull it out a bit, and stand back. BUT, candidly closing it now is the reverse problem. You have to be determined to get it down. With MS that could still be a problem. Possibly see if there is a local dealer for mobility van conversions. They may have a solution to install a powered hatch. Maybe the Xterra's bigger, newer cousins have powered hatchs. It would be an interesting project.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
OP, are you looking for a way to make the hatch close on its own? as long as the gas struts are in good shape it should open on its own, closing it can be a bit of a pain sometimes esp with good struts that open it quickly, it can be hard to close. I really dont know of a way to make it close on its own, though perhaps you could just remove the struts altogether, which would make it harder to open, but much easier to close. could use a stick of some sort to hold it open.

i wonder if there is a way to adapt a newer vehicles powered hatch assembly to the xterra, but it would be a bit of a project i imagine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This video is of a rebuilder I watch: o://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxGhjB5OwGE
at about the two minute mark he is installing the mechanism to operate the powered hatch. I think engineering this into the back of an Xterra would be difficult. But it is interesting to see what it looks like. No idea how much it depends on the counterbalance of the struts either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts